Guy and Girl be "just friends"

Options
nhouse3417
nhouse3417 Posts: 105
I am sure this has been talked about before. But I can not find anything.

Can a guy and girl be just friends, nothing more? Both are in a relationship (married, or engaged).

Texting one another OK as well? Not just friends at work?

Replies

• MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Friends, yea, why not.

From work and then texting outside work? Just seems weird to me. Unless my spouse and my guy friend have met and they are cool.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh, there was an EPIC thread on this already. I can't remember if it ended up being deleted or not.

ETA: FOUND IT!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/949350-why-do-people-say-men-and-women-can-t-be-platonic-friends?hl=just+friends
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    If there's no physical attraction to each other...I think it can work.
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options
    Yes. They can be. The end.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it depends on the SOs of each of those people. If they are ok with it, sure. But if even one finds it too "close" might as well stop, or become casual friends.
  • larlo74
    larlo74 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    As long as the friendship isn't a replacement for something missing at home with the significant other. Also, I think you need to make sure your partner is okay with it. You don't want to ruin that relationship for a friendship.
  • BullDozier
    BullDozier Posts: 237 Member
    Options

From work and then texting outside work? Just seems weird to me. Unless my spouse and my guy friend have met and they are cool.
    Generally agree with this. I think it mainly depends on the other spouses. Do they know? What do they think? Do you need to sneak off to text? Does the spouse say you are texting too much? Do you ever text anything you wouldn't want the spouse to see?

I think this is really an issue unique to each relationship and depends on the two people involved.

Personally, I don't ever think guys are girls can truely be friends, but I am biased by my own personal history.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    If there's no physical attraction to each other...I think it can work.
    THIS...but it has to be that way on both sides. Seems like often one person has romantic tendencies and that ruins it all...
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Yes. They can be. The end.

FACT.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh, there was an EPIC thread on this already. I can't remember if it ended up being deleted or not.

ETA: FOUND IT!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/949350-why-do-people-say-men-and-women-can-t-be-platonic-friends?hl=just+friends

^this

And my own 2 cents- absolutely yes. I have a lot of platonic guy friends. And no, they aren't gay.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I think its possible, but very, very difficult to achieve a100% platonic relationship between two members of the opposite sex.

As for the co-worker thing, I don't think anything good could possibly come from it, and that is indeed from personal experience. It may begin innocently, but somewhere along the line sexuality becomes involved and that's when it starts heading towards inappropriate.
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    My absolute best friend in the world is a girl.

I absolutely love her like a sister.

But absolutely nothing more - objectively she is good looking and she works out a lot so has a great body too.

But I do not at any level want a relationship beyond the great friendship we have.
  • nhouse3417
    nhouse3417 Posts: 105
    Options

Generally agree with this. I think it mainly depends on the other spouses. Do they know? What do they think? Do you need to sneak off to text? Does the spouse say you are texting too much? Do you ever text anything you wouldn't want the spouse to see?

I think this is really an issue unique to each relationship and depends on the two people involved.

Personally, I don't ever think guys are girls can truely be friends, but I am biased by my own personal history.
    They know now. They arent happy with it, and it has since stopped. The spouse has said they text too much. Trying to set things up so they can meet one another more than just a quick chat.
  • Micheetah
    Micheetah Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    MOS DEF! I have numerous male friends that I've hung out with for years and didnt diss them once I was in a serious relationship, engaged then married. My SO trusts me and I trust him. These are existing friends though, I'm not looking to make any new male friends, I think that would be different. There are not always around but once in a while we'll catch lunch or catch up, sometimes with my SO sometimes on our own. We don't make a big deal of it. My SO doesnt really have any female friends, but if he did, I trust him. BTW I have some great male single friends if any ladies are interested lol. BUT nearly NO single female friends.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    FOR SURE!!!! THOSE ARE THE BEST ONES!
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I go out every Wednesday evening with my friends, they are all male. All of us are married, most of us have children, we have a laugh and even (but not very often) go to the pub! I can honestly say, hand on heart that although I really like them, I am not in the slightest bit interested in then in as physical way!! And why would I want to ruin a good friendship (not to mention other people's lives) by having sex with any of them?!!!
  • d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Yea if the chick is not attractive
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I have had several close friendship with women over the years. The problem is that spouses don't necessarily agree and it just gets to be too uncomfortable to continue.
  • simplyciera
    simplyciera Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    One of my closest male friends said "A guy and a girl can only be friends for as long as the guy can or wants to have sex with her"
    I think it's kind of true. There are the rare relationships that stand out between a guy& a girl. But usually if a guy and a girl are friends, either one of their emotions gets in the way or an outside boyfriend/ girlfriend gets jealous/insecure. I think its easier for girls to hold on to the relationship than for the guy to though.

I'm one of those girls that likes guys for friends, but it only works when I'm single. Once I get into a relationship, all of my guy friends disappear & the only ones I'm friends with are the boyfriends of my few girlfriends. Even then, we're not close close.
  • OhMissSophie
    Options
    Absolutely!!