Crossfit Anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    ljh2015 wrote: »
    For the cross fitters out there, how do you log your exercise in my fitness pal? It seems too cumbersome to log every weight lifting move. Plus there is some cardio involved. Tips appreciated!!

I did CF for a few months a couple of years ago and just logged it as calisthenics and called it a day
  • ljh2015
    ljh2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks so much! i was thinking about wearing something like a fit bit. even just a ballpark to get going is helpful--thanks!
  • Chines03
    Chines03 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I have personally never heard of Crossfit outside of a dedicated box...for which there are good ones and bad ones and they should be shopped given the substantial deviations from box to box.

Are you sure it's really Crossfit? Is it a boot camp maybe? That would make more sense. If it is CF, have you looked into the qualifications of the coaches...what is there experience in the Olympic lifts? What is their philosophy...do they emphasize form over speed and weight or do they just want you to do as many reps as possible of very technical lifts in a given amount of time?

There are a lot of things to consider here...it's not really as simple as CF, yeah or nay.

It's called Crossfit Circuit. Not really sure what's the difference
  • Chines03
    Chines03 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    my ymca has cross circuit, not crossfit since thats a branded name. its similar workouts. and as far as being leary? really? the trainers at the ymca go through school to train as i'm sure the crossfit coaches do as well.
    i have actually done both, crossfit as well as cross circuit at the ymca. i was more impressed with t he ymca as they took the time to teach proper form where as the crossfit coach did not.

Yes, crossfit circuit is what my YMCA offers also. I didn't know there was a difference. Guess you learn something new everything. Thanks!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    my ymca has cross circuit, not crossfit since thats a branded name. its similar workouts. and as far as being leary? really? the trainers at the ymca go through school to train as i'm sure the crossfit coaches do as well.
    i have actually done both, crossfit as well as cross circuit at the ymca. i was more impressed with t he ymca as they took the time to teach proper form where as the crossfit coach did not.

Yes, crossfit circuit is what my YMCA offers also. I didn't know there was a difference. Guess you learn something new everything. Thanks!

I would guess the difference is the incorporation of heavy olympic lifts. Your Cross Circuit will probably circle more around calisthenics.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I wish my Y offered it but I can't see where they would have the open space to do it. Plus allowing the members to drop the barbells from height. Unless your Y has a big open space plus rubber bumper plates etc....
  • 2girlzmm
    2girlzmm Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just started Crossfit and LOVE it! Yes you will be sore but it is worth it. Make sure to drink lots of water. A good soaking in epson salt afterwards also is nice.
  • keithw2013
    keithw2013 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    keky389 wrote: »
    I started Monday and I am extremelyyyyy sore! I have not worked out in over a year because I got pregnant and had my baby 4 months ago(in my pregnancy, I gained 50 pounds).. so I am the definition of out of shape lol It's very intense and everything almost seems impossible at first but for beginners they scale everything down for you. The only thing is , my thighs are hurting so bad to the point I can't do even one squat. I honestly don't know how I am going to be able to do anything today since mostly everything in cross fit is with squats! I hope they don't push me so hard to the point that I damage my muscles.

See, this is what I am afraid of lol. My cousin does it and told me that I will be so sore that it will hurt to walk but it will go away the more I go. How the heck I suppose to do anything else after being that sore. If I join the Y, the classes are free so I think I may give it a shot. Still a little nervous about it. I really just like doing cardio (walking) but I know I need more.

I appreciate what you all are saying but let me mention a couple things:

- When you go into a box and do Crossfit - you decide how much effort you take yourself. DO NOT do more than you feel you can do. Most any exercise can be scaled to your ability. If you are supposed to do 14 pound wall balls and are struggling - use the 10 pound. Cut your reps if it is too much.

- When it comes to soreness I know it is uncomfortable - but it doesn't mean you can't work out. Go in and ride a bike or get on the rower. it is amazing how I can be very sore and then once warm up I feel 80% better.

- On soreness again - stretch and massage your sore muscles. That will really help them loosen up and feel better.

Explain to the Coach if you go in and the WOD looks too tough. They should provide you a modified scaled version.

Take care.
  • keithw2013
    keithw2013 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    For the cross fitters out there, how do you log your exercise in my fitness pal? It seems too cumbersome to log every weight lifting move. Plus there is some cardio involved. Tips appreciated!!

It's not going to be perfect.

I wore a chest strap HRM for a year. Averaged about 350 for an hour class, which included warm up, strength and the WOD. Hero WODs came in between 400-500.

Thanks for the info on that!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Crossfit can be very effective if you are motivated by happy, moving people who are dedicated to improving themselves (I am).

And the individual doing the programming understands progression and good WOD protocols;

And you have good coaches that recognize movement issues and can help you improve them;

And you are properly scaling the work to your fitness and strength level (hard but not impossible);

And you don’t let your ego write a check your body can’t cash.

If the crossfit is at a YMCA, it is very likely a knock off and not a true affiliate. There is an application process to become an affiliate gym/box. That said, they could have certified coaches who know how to program and coach. Don’t be afraid to ask about their affiliation and certifications. The affiliation isn’t a deal breaker. But if the coaches are not certified (or were only recently certified with little crossfit coaching experience), I wouldn’t participate.

You should check out crossfit love group if you’d like to learn more.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    keithw2013 wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »

It's not going to be perfect.

I wore a chest strap HRM for a year. Averaged about 350 for an hour class, which included warm up, strength and the WOD. Hero WODs came in between 400-500.

Thanks for the info on that!

You're welcome!