Options

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    blbst36 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Surely an ovary scan would help towards a diagnosis of PCOS

Not necessarily. Polycystic ovaries do not mean a diagnosis of PCOS. I have it, but do not have cysts. It is one of the frustrating things about this syndrome. The name is very misleading.

And I have cysts and insulin resistance, but apparently not PCOS.

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    OP, I was very happy to work with a reproductive endocrinologist who really understands insulin resistance, PCOS, and all the rest. You may find some answers with a provider like that.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Let me put you in the controlled environment of my choice and you will lose weight.

You CAN lose weight.

You WONT.

There is a difference.

This woman hasn't had a period in 8 months. There's more going on here, medically and hormonally. So stop with the rude remarks.

Not having a period doesn't trump the physics of energy transfer, nor do hormones or medical conditions. Hormones and medical conditions may affect hunger, maybe satiety and feeling full, but they don't create cellular structures(fat cells) out of thin air.

Biological functions are based on physics, not the other way around.

Since when are facts rude?

You may not like their presentation but the facts are the facts. Ignoring 'em is why people won't lose weight when they are perfectly capable of it.

Denial is the most powerful drug there is.

Little do you know, hormones and certain medical conditions (insulin resistance, diabetes, thyroid conditions, etc.) do play a huge role in weight loss.

Yer funny.

They play a huge role in appetite, satiety, feeling full, feeling hungry ... but they still can't break the laws of physics and manufacture fat cells from thin air.

All the medical conditions make it more likely to store fat, yes - but you have to have excess energy to store as fat in the first place, and those come from overconsuming. It's not magic.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Let me put you in the controlled environment of my choice and you will lose weight.

You CAN lose weight.

You WONT.

There is a difference.

This woman hasn't had a period in 8 months. There's more going on here, medically and hormonally. So stop with the rude remarks.

Not having a period doesn't trump the physics of energy transfer, nor do hormones or medical conditions. Hormones and medical conditions may affect hunger, maybe satiety and feeling full, but they don't create cellular structures(fat cells) out of thin air.

You may not like their presentation but the facts are the facts. Ignoring 'em is why people won't lose weight when they are perfectly capable of it.

Little do you know, hormones and certain medical conditions (insulin resistance, diabetes, thyroid conditions, etc.) do play a huge role in weight loss.

What they don't do is change the basic reality that the only way to gain (non-water) weight is to consume more than you burn.

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »

You CAN lose weight.

You WONT.

There is a difference.

This isn't quite true. Hormones and medical conditions DO trump certain aspects of dieting. Prime examples would be the whole carb/sugar thing...for a normal person, not an issue, but for a diabetic can be detrimental. For weight loss...same thing. If your body doesn't process carbs well, you don't get the energy from it, and it is just stored as fat. Opposite can be true as well, chemicals in the body need to switch the fat to energy, and if that process is broken or impaired, you wouldn't be able to get the use of fat cells as energy either.

Medical conditions make dieting tricky. If a body was the same as everyone else, all medical problems would be a breeze to fix.

If you are storing carbs as fat, you are overconsuming carbs. Medical condition or not.

How is this hard to understand?

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Goldfish, it sounds like you really know your stuff when it comes to health. I'm sorry you're going through this and I hope you find a resolution.

I'm not a doctor, but I think sometimes our bodies just get tired and won't do what they're supposed too, especially if we've lost weight in the past.

I think when you lose a significant amount of weight, that's easy. To lose more, and more after that, that is the hard part. There's a curve.

And it's my personal opinion is that closer you get to that low body fat percentage curve, the more our bodies pull out all the stops and do a temper-tantrum to keep the pounds on.

I've seen women on this site (NOT naming names) who have been wildly successful for years then all of a sudden be ravishingly hungry for no obvious reason and start packing on the pounds.

May I ask are you Caucasian? If you're of European descent it's possibly written in your genes for your body to do anything it can to retain fat this time of year. We're not just fighting food calories, we're fighting our nature and our very being and existence. Our genes don't know that thin and low-body fat percentage are pleasing to the eye, or preferable. Our genes think we're cold and want to cover us up as best they can for our survival.

I have no constructive answer, but I've really seen people in this "I'm doing everything right, everything!" frustration before, and I can really relate to that, and you are not alone, and that does NOT necessarily mean you are doing something wrong.

Good luck. Maybe this spring the pounds will melt with the icicles.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Seeing an endocrinologist is a good step--that's what I would have recommended.

If it turns out that you do have a metabolic disease (I have 5 of them...lucky me!) you will need to eat low-to-moderate carb and exercise a ton. An hour a day of exercise and 1200 calories/100G carbs is maintenance for me. I don't lose unless I get my carbs a bit lower and exercise more like 2 hours hours a day, including walking.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Before insulin the treatment for type 1 diabetics was a starvation diet. They were fed precisely the number of carbohydrates needed to live, and no more. The images of the patients, distressing. Physics or no, an insulin resistant individual is going to have trouble getting the nutrition they need from carbohydrates.

Here's a picture of a child on the starvation regime, before and after insulin.

markdown_lightbox_b7851ccd275675c6150b01cf181f56e807991197-c3dc5.jpg
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »

You CAN lose weight.

You WONT.

There is a difference.

This isn't quite true. Hormones and medical conditions DO trump certain aspects of dieting. Prime examples would be the whole carb/sugar thing...for a normal person, not an issue, but for a diabetic can be detrimental. For weight loss...same thing. If your body doesn't process carbs well, you don't get the energy from it, and it is just stored as fat. Opposite can be true as well, chemicals in the body need to switch the fat to energy, and if that process is broken or impaired, you wouldn't be able to get the use of fat cells as energy either.

Medical conditions make dieting tricky. If a body was the same as everyone else, all medical problems would be a breeze to fix.

If you are storing carbs as fat, you are overconsuming carbs. Medical condition or not.

How is this hard to understand?

Of course CICO still applies, but the medical conditions lower the threshold between normal consumption and overconsumption.

• goldfish29
    goldfish29 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    [/quote] You may not like but they still can't break the laws of physics and manufacture fat cells from thin air.

All the medical conditions make it more likely to store fat, yes - but you have to have excess energy to store as fat in the first place, and those come from overconsuming. It's not magic.
    [/quote]

I owned my responsibility in how I gained some of the weight back. I got injured and it threw me off my game. I then got lazy. My fault.

As someone who was once "in the best shape of my life" prior to this injury I'm not brand new health and fitness. Hence my extreme frustration and feeling of defeat these past 8 months.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    SergeantSausage obviously has no idea what he is talking about.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    goldfish29 wrote: »
    canoepug wrote: »
    Were you on any meds during the rotator cuff treatment ?
    I was not aside from OTC pain relievers.

NSAIDs? NSAIDs can cause water retention when used for a long period of time.
  • GrokGranny
    GrokGranny Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    YES MANY TIMES! Have you been tested for food sensitivities? I would also recommend finding a Functional/Holistic/Integrative medical doctor who will NOT pigeon hole you into a "lab range" on thyroid. Google Mary Shomon for excellent thyroid help! Good luck!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    segacs wrote: »
    See, this is why turning to the internet for medical advice is usually a bad idea.

It's probably not a tumour. It's a good idea not to jump to the worst possible conclusion. All that does is cause undue stress.

OP, I know this must be unbelievably frustrating for you. But instead of asking an internet forum for advice, I'd suggest that you keep on working with the medical system to figure out what's wrong and to get some answers.

Meanwhile, folks replying to a thread like this: Unless you're a doctor, probably better to stick to messages of support rather than attempts at diagnosis or recommendations for therapies or cures.

In the early stages of diagnosis, I agree. As things drag on, it sometimes become clear that the medical system needs some help thinking out of the box and that's where doing your own digging can be useful.

OP, don't get twisted up thinking that any diagnosis on here is necessarily what is going on with you. There are still too many possibilities to hang your hat on any one. On the other hand, knowing the possibilities means you can ask intelligent questions when you go to your next appointment and can make sure your bases are covered moving forward and that you don't let yourself get pigeonholed*.

If your endo tests are come back normal, it's good to know that there are other directions to explore.

* This is coming from personal experience both working in the health care system and as a user of the health care system. Doctors aren't deliberately obtuse, but they are human and tend to follow certain patterns of diagnosis. If you don't fit that pattern, you sometimes have to insist they investigate alternate possibilities.

I'm 13 years into the diagnostic process and I have to agree with this. There's a way to go about it too. It's one thing to insist on a diagnosis that has been ruled out by multiple doctors, but it's something else to look for possibilities to bring up at your next appointment so they can be explored. I certainly wouldn't recommend that a person ask the internet first, but OP is pursuing this through proper channels as well.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    goldfish29 wrote: »
    Ok really, thank you to everyone.

I am however still laughing at the suggestion of colon hydrotherapy. How amusing it would be to find out my problem is that I'm just actually full of shiz. Hahahahaha. I know a few people who would have a field day with that!

I'm so very glad you dismissed that out of hand. I was going to post some links from ScienceBasedMedicine.org about it this morning but I got distracted.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

You CAN lose weight.

You WONT.

There is a difference.

Just, ugh. You're out of your depth. Zip it.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options

You CAN lose weight.

You WONT.

There is a difference.

Yer funny.

They play a huge role in appetite, satiety, feeling full, feeling hungry ... but they still can't break the laws of physics and manufacture fat cells from thin air.

Some people would like to lose weight in the best health they can be in rather than resorting to 500 calories a day as a diet...which is what certain untreated medical conditions would require as a caloric intake before weight started coming off. I never thought that would be so hard to understand....Some people won't go to extremely unhealthy lengths to lose weight? Amazing!

And i sincerely hope your reply isn't going to be, "then they just don't want to lose weight badly enough!"
  • ltangodownl
    ltangodownl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Rope jumping 30mins a day guarantee!!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Some people would like to lose weight in the best health they can be in rather than resorting to 500 calories a day as a diet...which is what certain untreated medical conditions would require as a caloric intake before weight started coming off.

This is not correct. There is no such thing as a medical condition that prevents weight loss at intakes above 500 calories. Doesn't exist - can't exist.

The problem lies elsewhere....
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Some people would like to lose weight in the best health they can be in rather than resorting to 500 calories a day as a diet...which is what certain untreated medical conditions would require as a caloric intake before weight started coming off.

This is not correct. There is no such thing as a medical condition that prevents weight loss at intakes above 500 calories. Doesn't exist - can't exist.

The problem lies elsewhere....

Actually, you are wrong. I have a medically low RMR. I literally cannot lose weight unless I eat less than 800 calories a day. My endocrinologist said he would never ever recommend it for me because I'm not that heavy and it's not sustainable or safe. Period.