• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Rope jumping 30mins a day guarantee!!!

What?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Also, while it is calories in/calories out, hormones could affect your ability to burn effectively; essentially, what you are actually burning is less than calculators predict for you. And many people who have PCOS find it beneficial to reduce their carb intake for weight loss. I am not sure of the science behind it, but it something very commonly seen.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Since when are facts rude?

Ah, the old, overplayed "I'm not being rude, I'm just keeping it real [innocent shrug]" gambit. Highly popular among 14-year-olds, as I understand things. *

Saying "You have strong opinions, SergeantSausage" is a fact.

Saying "Your passive-aggressive jabs are, in a world, girly; as in, pre-teen girly. I have seen this before, and most people who use these tactics have no friends in real life, which is why they go anonymously online to troll thread after thread in order to get back at the world for not liking their limp personalities" is rude.

See the difference yet?

* By the way, that second sentence, above, is indeed a fact. This sort of "explanation" for intentionally button-pushing behavior IS very popular among very young, immature people, largely because they know no other way to "win" a disagreement and feel helpless. It's a fact - so in your opinion, is it rude?

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Working out 2 hours a day is overtraining. Overtraining causes water retention and more. I'd re-think that first.

1800 calories can easily be 2400, with logging error. No one thinks they miss calories. We all do. Studies show the best of us miss 25% on average. Do you keep a food diary or is that logging a day or two and considering those representative?

Have you shared your weight? I know you said you're 30 lbs more than 2013 but we're not talking 130 now, right? If you were underweight then and are healthy weight now, it's not going to be easy. And if you were underweight then and are still underfat, that can cause amenhorrea (as can too much exercise).

Good luck!
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I question HRM. Every post I see that people use one, all the calorie burns still seem way too high or they're using it the wrong way. I think they account for more than they should. Have you tried wearing it 100% of the time for 1 week without exercise other than daily activity to see what it gives you, then adding your activity back in for a week and calculating the difference?

That's my only suggestion other than seeing a doctor. I don't even know if I could be right though.

ETA: Have you tried significantly reducing stress? Your lack of period might also indicate this. Maybe take a diet (and exercise! You're doing so much!) vacation... and perhaps an actual sabbatical if you can from your job. For 2 months just don't think about it. See if you feel better and if things change.

I'm pretty sure my HRM is not very accurate. It often says I've burned between 3000-4000 calories in a day (or more), although MFP states my TDEE is 1900. I cheaped out and got a wrist one, though. I switched it to my non-domininate arm after it gave me an extra 60 steps for brushing my teeth :#

Are you talking about a heart rate monitor (which if worn all day is not being used correctly) or an activity monitor? Two very different things.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sportline-S7-Slim-Heart-Rate-Monitor/16537225
    This is like what I have. I use it as a watch. I reset the calorie burn in the morning just before my jog (this also resets steps taken). I have to touch it for it to take my current heart rate, although sometimes it takes a heartrate on its own. The instruction book didn't say I had to take it off if I wasn't exercising...
  • lacaro1
    lacaro1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    OP I would suggest visiting an endocrinologist! your symptoms could be caused by various hormonal issues (e.g. fluctuating TSH--> beginning signs of hashimotos; high cortisol --> water retention, no weight loss; PCOS (although your obgyn probably tested you for that already))
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    sounds like possible poly ovarian syndrome. Is your hair thinning? growing hair on face? Lok it up and see if it sounds like this coul dbe it. The messed up/and or lack of periods is another clue. I am NOT a Dr. , however, do some research
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Some people would like to lose weight in the best health they can be in rather than resorting to 500 calories a day as a diet...which is what certain untreated medical conditions would require as a caloric intake before weight started coming off.

This is not correct. There is no such thing as a medical condition that prevents weight loss at intakes above 500 calories. Doesn't exist - can't exist.

The problem lies elsewhere....

Well, 500 calories might be an exaggeration, but certainly a medical condition can effect the CO part of the CICO equation.

• BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I question HRM. Every post I see that people use one, all the calorie burns still seem way too high or they're using it the wrong way. I think they account for more than they should. Have you tried wearing it 100% of the time for 1 week without exercise other than daily activity to see what it gives you, then adding your activity back in for a week and calculating the difference?

That's my only suggestion other than seeing a doctor. I don't even know if I could be right though.

ETA: Have you tried significantly reducing stress? Your lack of period might also indicate this. Maybe take a diet (and exercise! You're doing so much!) vacation... and perhaps an actual sabbatical if you can from your job. For 2 months just don't think about it. See if you feel better and if things change.

I'm pretty sure my HRM is not very accurate. It often says I've burned between 3000-4000 calories in a day (or more), although MFP states my TDEE is 1900. I cheaped out and got a wrist one, though. I switched it to my non-domininate arm after it gave me an extra 60 steps for brushing my teeth :#

Are you talking about a heart rate monitor (which if worn all day is not being used correctly) or an activity monitor? Two very different things.

This is like what I have. I use it as a watch. I reset the calorie burn in the morning just before my jog (this also resets steps taken). I have to touch it for it to take my current heart rate, although sometimes it takes a heartrate on its own. The instruction book didn't say I had to take it off if I wasn't exercising...

This is only supposed to be used when you work out, not all the time. Also, the reviews of it on the site are really bad and lots of them say it is wildly inaccurate. One of the Q&A questions asks if it is a pedometer and three responses say not this model. ?

• kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options

This is only supposed to be used when you work out, not all the time. Also, the reviews of it on the site are really bad and lots of them say it is wildly inaccurate. One of the Q&A questions asks if it is a pedometer and three responses say not this model. ?

Well, MFP posts keep saying that a HRM is needed to determine calorie burn. I couldn't afford the $100+ ones, so I begged my bf for the $25 one from Walmart (I don't think Sportsline makes my model anymore, it's not on their website). Mine does have a pedometer (which I don't think is much more accurate than the HRM function). As it is a pedometer as well, shouldn't I wear it all day to see how many steps I take?

It's pretty good (sometimes) at getting an on-the-go heartrate (I'm not up to checking my pulse in the middle of a jog or HIIT session), but it sometimes gives me over 500 calories for a 2 minute warmup and 30 minute interval jog, so I'm fairly sure it's not accurate.

I can see it having poor reviews, but it was the cheapest one I could find (sometimes you get what you pay for...)
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    an accurate HRM will record your heart rate and give the average for the time exercised... there is a reason those HRM's are over $100... I wouldn't use the one you have to give me an accurate reading...