For those who like diet coke, got some bad news.

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    <yawn> More fearmongering. And what a ridiculous data(?) point - a woman who drank 2 LITERS of diet soda a day and never went to the dentist???? I'm sure her hygiene habits were impeccable as well. Great example.....of hyperbole.

Everything in moderation.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Don't care. I know how to use a toothbrush.

That won't prevent erosion. In fact, if you brush your teeth after drinking (diet) coke or something like orange juice, it will only worsen the erosion. Best is to drink a glass of milk or water after drinking something like diet coke, so the neutral pH of water/milk wil cancel out the cancel out the bad effects from coke.
    Clinical study or source to verify?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • foot56
    foot56 Posts: 44
    Options
    I hate this thread so much I just got up and cracked open a Coke Zero.
    “Aspartame is a low-calorie sweetener made primarily of two amino acids: aspartic acid and phenylalanine. Aspartame has been shown to be safe for everyone, including children and pregnant women. When used in foods and beverages a warning on the labels is provided to people who can’t metabolize aspartame.” — Coca-Cola Co.

Science weighs in: “There are many conflicting studies on the safety of aspartame, says Caspero. Animal studies show more of an increase in cancer risk than human studies have. But there is definitely enough of a connection to avoid or limit your exposure to the additive, she explains.

Phosphoric Acid

“Phosphoric acid is used in certain soft drinks, including Coca-Cola, to add tartness to the beverage. Phosphoric acid contains phosphorus, one of the basic elements of nature and an essential nutrient. Phosphorus is a major component of bones.” — Coca-Cola Co.

Science weighs in: The acid in this ingredient is what erodes tooth enamel, Caspero says.

Additional research has also linked excessive exposure to additional adverse health issues. For example, according to a study in the journal Epidemiology, drinking two or more colas a day—diet or regular—was associated with a twofold risk of developing kidney disease. The culprit? The researchers indicated that although an exact cause is unknown, the phosphoric acid in colas has been associated with urinary changes that promote kidney stones. (When left untreated, they can lead to chronic kidney disease).
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    OH NOZ, JUST LIKE METH!!!!

*patiently waits for super criminals hopped up on Diet Coke to start cleaning out convenience stores and eating faces*
  • foot56
    Options

*patiently waits for super criminals hopped up on Diet Coke to start cleaning out convenience stores and eating faces*

I agree the article does blow things out of proportion, but I guess my point is this; instead of just looking at the calorie count, study what you are putting into your body.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I agree the article does blow things out of proportion, but I guess my point is this; instead of just looking at the calorie count, study what you are putting into your body.

Well why didn't you just say that instead of shredding your credibility with this inane 'study'?
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    what a revelation ...diet coke??? who knew;)
  • foot56
    Options

Well why didn't you just say that instead of shredding your credibility with this inane 'study'?

It's still a interesting article, and internet credibility?!? You're joking right?
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Diet drinks are pure poison,aspartame,google that,more to worry about than teeth enamel!
  • foot56
    Options
    Diet drinks are pure poison,aspartame,google that,more to worry about than teeth enamel!

Finally a person with some common sense.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    The only bad news about diet coke would be they're going out of business. What would I drink my rum with?
  • qingc
    qingc Posts: 9
    Options
    Just drink it with a straw. Simple.
  • foot56
    Options
    The only bad news about diet coke would be they're going out of business. What would I drink my rum with?

The real question is, why are you mixing rum with anything?
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    yeahno.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    383476_622726367738330_742392863_n.jpg

I love this! And:

images_zpsfefd1d8d.jpg
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

The real question is, why are you mixing rum with anything?

Because I'm addicted to that sweet sweet aspartame candy.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Her teeth were soft and discolored, with many destroyed by erosion. She usually sipped the beverage directly from a can or a bottle, and held the soda in her mouth before swallowing, Bassiouny said.

Drinking 2L a day of an acidic beverage and holding it in your mouth? Yeah, smart.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I've been needing a reason to reacquaint myself with Crystal Meth and Acid. Diet Coke just isn't doing it for me anymore. Thanks for the advice OP.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

It's still a interesting article, and internet credibility?!? You're joking right?

I feel like your definition of interesting is vastly different than my own, but then fanfiction masquerading as science has never tickled my fancy.

I mean, I like to stick to sensible things and not appear too much like a crackpot so that people won't associate my name with crazypants nonsense around here. That's just me though.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys are killing him.