Daily Exercise + Under Daily Calories = No Weight Loss!

Options

Replies

• DanielNotDan
    DanielNotDan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I'm not understanding why a 6' tall male has a caloric intake goal of 1500.

Preach it, brother.

Previously, I was doing P90x3 (daily 6x/week) + martial arts heavy bag work every other day (5 1-minute rounds with :30 rest between) and eating (roughly) 2000 c/day... gained or maintained 229.

That SUCKED. I did this for six months. I (seriously) thought I'd be, like, '300' ripped/lean after half a year.... but I'm still just kind of muscularly flabby and still considered clinically obese!

And – I can't emphasize this enough – I'm not fooling myself (or others). I eat "clean" and don't go crazy if I don't log. I don't eat cake, oreos, pie, etc. I don't cheat and then cry "Wahhh!!! Why am I STILL fat??!" I'm *kitten* dead serious about this. So, yeah. WTF am I eating 1500 calories/day? Because 1700+ wasn't working.

Somewhere (as I've mentioned in other posts) the math – at least on MFP – isn't squaring.

Monday, I started the "21-Day Shred" by Men's Health editor Mike Simone. I supplement this with my heavy bag workouts every other day. Also 3 hrs of Tennis/week. 21-Day Shred calls for alternating Strength/Interval days and eating 6 lean meals day -- (roughly) 2000 cal/day.

But (per suggestions here) I'm subtracting 500 from that number -- in case MFP is screwing with me and my food calculations. I've kept an accurate log (thus far) so, we'll see how Week 1 goes.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Preach it, brother.

Previously, I was doing P90x3 (daily 6x/week) + martial arts heavy bag work every other day (5 1-minute rounds with :30 rest between) and eating (roughly) 2000 c/day... gained or maintained 229.

That SUCKED. I did this for six months. I (seriously) thought I'd be, like, '300' ripped/lean after half a year.... but I'm still just kind of muscularly flabby and still considered clinically obese!

And – I can't emphasize this enough – I'm not fooling myself (or others). I eat "clean" and don't go crazy if I don't log. I don't eat cake, oreos, pie, etc. I don't cheat and then cry "Wahhh!!! Why am I STILL fat??!" I'm *kitten* dead serious about this. So, yeah. WTF am I eating 1500 calories/day? Because 1700+ wasn't working.

Somewhere (as I've mentioned in other posts) the math – at least on MFP – isn't squaring.

Monday, I started the "21-Day Shred" by Men's Health editor Mike Simone. I supplement this with my heavy bag workouts every other day. Also 3 hrs of Tennis/week. 21-Day Shred calls for alternating Strength/Interval days and eating 6 lean meals day -- (roughly) 2000 cal/day.

But (per suggestions here) I'm subtracting 500 from that number -- in case MFP is screwing with me and my food calculations. I've kept an accurate log (thus far) so, we'll see how Week 1 goes.
    From that description (and as previously stated), it sounds like an accuracy in counting/logging issue. You can still overconsume calories eating "clean".
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Preach it, brother.

From that description (and as previously stated), it sounds like an accuracy in counting/logging issue. You can still overconsume calories eating "clean".

Also would like to point out that P90X3 is not a big calorie burner. So being older, having previously been on a HCG diet and inaccuracies in track will lead to over consumption of calories and maintenance.

OP, have you gotten blood work recently?
  • DanielNotDan
    Options

Yes. However, MFP can often overestimate calorie burns as can the counter on cardio machines. I'd suggest eating back half to two-thirds of the calories it tells you and see how you do. You'll need to balance how you feel (are you super hungry after workouts, do you have enough energy through the day) and how it affects your weight loss.

Wait. WHAT? Eat, like 750-900 calories/day? No way. REALLY?
    That. Sounds. Ridiculous.

I'm not bee-atch-slapping you, Auddii! It just sounds like a crazy, drastic move, given my level of (granted, self-assessed, but honest) vigorous workouts and my eating regimen. I've mentioned it before, but I did a 500 c/day (HCG) diet and, while I had tremendous success, swore that this time I would lose weight/get strong using the "traditional" route.

I had hoped my results would be FAR better after over 6 months of P90x3 (AND occasionally P90x) workouts @ 1800-2000 c/day. So, I'm adjusting my sails, so to speak.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Yes. However, MFP can often overestimate calorie burns as can the counter on cardio machines. I'd suggest eating back half to two-thirds of the calories it tells you and see how you do. You'll need to balance how you feel (are you super hungry after workouts, do you have enough energy through the day) and how it affects your weight loss.

I'm not bee-atch-slapping you, Auddii! It just sounds like a crazy, drastic move, given my level of (granted, self-assessed, but honest) vigorous workouts and my eating regimen. I've mentioned it before, but I did a 500 c/day (HCG) diet and, while I had tremendous success, swore that this time I would lose weight/get strong using the "traditional" route.

I had hoped my results would be FAR better after over 6 months of P90x3 (AND occasionally P90x) workouts @ 1800-2000 c/day. So, I'm adjusting my sails, so to speak.

She is suggesting eat 2/3 of the extra burned calories from exercise, not your base calories.

And your tremendous loss with HCG is probably what is making it more difficult now.
  • DanielNotDan
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Also would like to point out that P90X3 is not a big calorie burner. So being older, having previously been on a HCG diet and inaccuracies in track will lead to over consumption of calories and maintenance.

Well,
    1) what calorie burn numbers would you use for a P90x3 workout? Say, the MMX workout (which is my "go-to")? Plus,
    2) 5 1-minute/rest :30 heavy-bag martial arts (kicking/punching) workout?

No blood work ups recently. Why do you ask?
  • DanielNotDan
    edited January 2015
    Options

She is suggesting eat 2/3 of the extra burned calories from exercise, not your base calories.

And your tremendous loss with HCG is probably what is making it more difficult now.

Whew! Thanks! I panicked. Yeah... MAYBE my HCG weight loss is a factor, but that's obviously conjecture. And I don't know how to rule that out/compensate for that after the fact.
  • fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Suggestion: Adjust your macros to 40% Protein, 40% Carbs, and 20% fat. You're eating double your fat it seems from the week of logging I saw. Almost 100 grams per day. For a guy who is weight training, you should be eating more protein as well. Reduce the foods with fat and add more protein and healthy carbs.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    fishernd wrote: »
    Suggestion: Adjust your macros to 40% Protein, 40% Carbs, and 20% fat. You're eating double your fat it seems from the week of logging I saw. Almost 100 grams per day. Try to re-balance the three.

His macro balance shouldn't be inhibiting his ability to lose weight. The culprit(s) are more likely inaccurate logging, metabolic adaptation from his previous VLCD, and possibly an undiagnosed medical issue like hypothyroidism since he hasn't had blood work done lately.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Oh hey, I just hit 1000 posts. Only took 4 1/2 years...
  • psuLemon
    Options

Well,
    1) what calorie burn numbers would you use for a P90x3 workout? Say, the MMX workout (which is my "go-to")? Plus,
    2) 5 1-minute/rest :30 heavy-bag martial arts (kicking/punching) workout?

No blood work ups recently. Why do you ask?

With only a 30 minute workout, 200-300 calories is likely.

I ask about blood work to see if you have insulin resistance or other conditions that could actively affect your results and need to alter macros. For example, women with PCOS have to follow a low carb diet, same with diabetics.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Yup, sorry, I should have been more clear.
  • DanielNotDan
    edited January 2015
    Options

With only a 30 minute workout, 200-300 calories is likely.

I ask about blood work to see if you have insulin resistance or other conditions that could actively affect your results and need to alter macros. For example, women with PCOS have to follow a low carb diet, same with diabetics.

Haha! Yeah..."only a 30 minute workout." Have you done, say, MMX? It's wicked good, scalable, and as interesting/challenging a cardio I've done. ("Insanity" looks to be a few notches more intense for me right now.) But I take your meaning.

I adjust cals a bit lower to, say 200 (when workout isn't as intense). Often, I'll do the Ab Ripper and/or Heavy Bag and/or weights. I have RARELY logged above 350, and usually about 250, which I think is fair, since I'm doing ALL of the workout (i.e., not skipping/dogging it, etc). I'm confident I'm pushing myself and working hard.

Blood could be an issue, of course. I'll consider having another workup. I know I have "elevated" cholesterol, but that's been with me for over 15 years. Hell. Maybe it's my tonsils. I'm no doctor. ;-)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I find all X3 workouts to be easy. In fact, i only use them as supplements when i am short on time. I am doing a modified body beast workout now. 4 heavy lifting, 1 day of half hiit and half yoga and 1 day of full hiit (60 minutes) and three of those will also have core work.
  • DanielNotDan
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I find all X3 workouts to be easy. In fact, i only use them as supplements when i am short on time. I am doing a modified body beast workout now. 4 heavy lifting, 1 day of half hiit and half yoga and 1 day of full hiit (60 minutes) and three of those will also have core work.

So, say, you find a 28-minute circuit of "To Failure Reps" in "The Challenge" consisting of 2 sets each of:
    -- wide pull ups, standard pushups, chin ups, military push ups, chin ups, close-grip pull ups, wide pushups, vaulter pull ups (right), staggered push up (right), vaulter pull up (left), staggered push up (left)
    --to be "easy"?

Your number of reps is super-low, then. This is as thorough, efficient, and 'challenging' an upper-body workout as you care to make it -- as long as you pick the right number of reps.

Now, if you're able to knock out, say, 4 sets / 30+ reps each of pull ups/chin ups, plus weighted and/or one-armed push ups... that's something. If so, kudos, Thor. But I doubt that "The Challenge" is "easy" even for the most fit of the fit. If it's "easy" then you don't grok it.

Body Beast is sort of =meh= to me... a personality clash with Sagi, for sure, and not on my radar for results/goals anyway. Not much heavy weight for me ... strong aversion to dead and Romanian lifting. But yoga, HIIT, and core: YES! All over them! Best to you!
  • psuLemon
    Options

So, say, you find a 28-minute circuit of "To Failure Reps" in "The Challenge" consisting of 2 sets each of:
    -- wide pull ups, standard pushups, chin ups, military push ups, chin ups, close-grip pull ups, wide pushups, vaulter pull ups (right), staggered push up (right), vaulter pull up (left), staggered push up (left)
    --to be "easy"?

Your number of reps is super-low, then. This is as thorough, efficient, and 'challenging' an upper-body workout as you care to make it -- as long as you pick the right number of reps.

Now, if you're able to knock out, say, 4 sets / 30+ reps each of pull ups/chin ups, plus weighted and/or one-armed push ups... that's something. If so, kudos, Thor. But I doubt that "The Challenge" is "easy" even for the most fit of the fit. If it's "easy" then you don't grok it.

Body Beast is sort of =meh= to me... a personality clash with Sagi, for sure, and not on my radar for results/goals anyway. Not much heavy weight for me ... strong aversion to dead and Romanian lifting. But yoga, HIIT, and core: YES! All over them! Best to you!

Even with tendinitis in my shoulders and wrist, I generally rock 24 push ups (with stands for the extra distance) and 20 pull ups for each combo. My favorite, is I always finish off with dive bombers when doing the 1/3 combo. I am sure people are stronger, but I work within my limitations.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So you're going to start accurate tracking of food then

Cool

See you in a couple of weeks
  • hlwick12
    hlwick12 Posts: 135 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I only got through 1/4 of the posts on here, but has anyone mentioned that you may not be eating enough? I only see ppl telling you to eat less. If 1500-1800 = your actual net calories, then I'd actually start there, and say it should be closer to 2100. Or perhaps I misunderstood your initial post.

Wait, even the heading is "daily exercise + under daily calories = no wt loss" so I think I did read it properly. Eat more! Sounds counterproductive buts it true. 2100 should be your NET calorie goal
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I don't even know if I want to jump in... But here I go...

Are your goals realistic? 8% body fat... Maybe that's realistic for you, but it may be worth reconsidering.

Weighing your food doesn't make you anal. It makes you informed. You also can't "feel" how many calories you've burned... You can't just guess you burned 250 calories. If your burns are always estimates, I wouldn't eat many of those calories back.

Honestly, like others have said: it doesn't have to be this complicated. Just eat a little less. I wonder if you ever take a break or a few rest days? They're important too and usually you'll boice a drop on the scales after some time off.