How badly do you sweat at the gym?

Options

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    1 minute on the treadmill and I'm sweating like a pig. And I'm in pretty good shape. The worst though is that my scalp sweats like crazy and I have long hair, so even a quick workout means I have to wash and dry my hair which makes it a nuisance to work out on my lunch break. Goodness I just realized how vain that sounds...

Anyways, I heard somewhere that people who sweat a lot are healthier. No idea if that's true but it's what I chose to believe :)

If that's vain I'm guilty too. I sometimes do a night workout then an early morning one too so I only have to wash my hair once.
    Now that's brilliant!

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm a total head sweater. After 20 minutes of cardio I start to become a fountain from the head down. Pits are dry, back is dry, hair is soaked and dripping a ring onto my shirt collar.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I sweat a lot. Everywhere. Hair, head, armpits, back, booty cheeks, etc. It is what it is. I just accept it as a part of me, and keep on sweating. I was sweating during yoga last night and it wasn't bikram.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    One of my trainers says that sweat is your fat crying. So - yay!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what I'm doing. Cardio and leg day I'm a sweaty mess. Other lifting days not as sweaty.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I sweat buckets. Little sweat makes me feel like I didn't work out hard enough.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I keep getting sweatier and sweatier the better shape I'm in, because your body becomes more efficient at cooling itself (sweating). However, the amount of sweat I think is relative to your baseline--some of us are just sweatier than others.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Like a hooker in church.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
  • JScottBldrs
    JScottBldrs Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sweat is like a badge of honor ...Be proud of it ..If your not sweating your not working hard enough..I am drenched when i leave the gym
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Ridiculously. When I've done even 30mins on the elliptical or an interval run, my wicking running shirts and trousers are so soaked, it looks like I took a shower in them. I also sweat a lot in my hair (I tie it up in a ponytail as it comes down to my waist!)

I am also one of those unlucky ones who looks like they've wet themselves after elliptical or runs. So only black bottoms for me! It can be incredibly demoralising, to be sweating so much and it making me feel so uncomfortable (because society deems sweating unacceptable in women)

However - I then look at some other girls in my gym - full face of make up, curled hair, who go on the bike (resistance 1 of course, barely 60rpm) for 30mins and don't even have a bead of sweat on them, and then get more water on their hair and face from the subsequent shower rather than the workout and I think "at least I am in here doing what I am supposed to be doing, even if I look like a wet tomato doing it!"

Please don't take this as piggish or hitting on you, cause it's not.

But a woman who works up a sweat... Kinda hot.

Now a woman dripping sweat in an air conditioned room just sitting there, not so much. And I'm sure that applys to guys too.
  • jakichan
    jakichan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My partner is normal sized. He never sweats. I sweat like Shaq at the foul line. My clothes are dripping when I exercise. After spin class there's a puddle under me.
  • ckmnacln
    ckmnacln Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    OP I am small too for a guy, funny when i was overweight i didn't sweat. Now I am low body fat and sweat like crazy. did that happen to you?
    BTW nice before and after pics, you and your family must be proud

Thank you!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I am a sweat hog! My trainer refers it as the lake of glory! Like Hazel and Gretel (bread crumbs) just follow my drips of sweat when I am doing walking lunges to find me. Of course that is always followed with me in a plank dragging a towel across the floor. Come to think of it maybe my gym needs to pay me for mopping the floors. HA
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I thought sweat was just to do with your body overheating. ive noticed since moving to a new gym I sweat much less and thats either becayse we are in winter or the gym is generally cooler. Ive gone from the sweat dripping to juts a reasonable amount of perspiration. I dont think its wholly to do with how hard you are working. I have seen people who give credence to the phrase sweating buckets. Streaming off them.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You aren't the only one! I have the same problem.
  • Tortitudekitty
    Tortitudekitty Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I also sweat like an animal at the gym. Even my wicking clothing struggles to keep up sometimes. It is what it is.. Some ladies may prettily perspire. Alas I'm not one of em.
    There is a saying.....

"Horses sweat.....men perspire .......and women, just glow".

Not in my book, several HIIT rounds on a rowing machine and I'm a mess!
  • WillUAre
    WillUAre Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I barely have beads on my face doing an hour cardio. My back is hot though, not dripping wet, just damp.
  • jakichan
    jakichan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Oh, and my sweat smells very very "ammonia-ish"? At one point I thought my cat had peed on my gym clothes, but it was a brand new shirt! (Is that TMI?)
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Loving these replies! If sweat is indeed your fat crying then I would be as skinny as Cara Delvigne! (Im not!) I sweat loads especially on stairmaster (20 mins and its running off me) elliptical (dripping like a loose tap!) and legs workouts (Drips on the floor as I do squats and lunges!). I like it cos I feel like my skin is getting a good cleanse. Can be embarrassing with sweat patches - top half there is usually two circles of drier fabric where my bra is! bottom half - lets just say I wear black leggings as often as possible!
  • Jewlz1972
    Jewlz1972 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The number of sweat glands that you have is dependent on the climate that you grew up in. I am from a tropical climate and never appear to sweat because I have lots of sweat glands. The water evaporates immediately. You are probably, not so lucky. People from cold climates appear to sweat more.