2»

Replies

• healthiermeep
    Options
    Well in the case of yesterday no but sometimes yes
  • bellabutt3
    bellabutt3 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Can't add much to all this good advice except to add a daily "note to self":

I AM BEAUTIFUL AND LOVEABLE (your husband thinks so, why don't you?)
    I HAVE THE POWER
    and
    WHEN I EAT LIKE CRAP...I FEEL LIKE CRAP!

Good Luck, You can do it!
  • Lorkio
    Lorkio Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ya I'm alone all day weird thing is I only binge at night when my hubby is home. He is a great guy who makes me happy so I know he isn't the issue.

Dude, my partner has a much faster metabolism than me and loves to eat. He is so great and sweet, but it is so hard not to eat what/when he eats. It takes time and practice, don't give up though! You can do it :) Ask for his support and help!
  • AmyTCaldwell
    AmyTCaldwell Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Four months ago I made this to lose so weight. I was 160 lbs a little overweight nothing major. Well now I am already 20 lbs heavier. In 6 months I gained 40 lbs!!! I am up 7 dress sizes and just miserable. I binge eat and feel guilty afterward. It is stupid self destructive behavior and I am so depressed. Yesterday I logged all I ate I started out so well! I need to get this under control now before I ruin my health and my life.

• Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Just poking my head in to wish you the best!

Some fantastic advice above.

All the very best!

Adam
  • LovingLifeInCalifornia
    LovingLifeInCalifornia Posts: 9,362 Member
    Options
    Something very similar happened to me. About 4-5 years ago I went to the doctor and he told me that I needed to eat healthier, exercise, and lose about 10-15 pounds or go on cholesterol meds. (my family has a history of high cholesterol, high blood pressure, stroke before the age of 50, etc.)

I didn't want to go on cholesterol meds so I told him that I would do it myself.

I then proceeded to live in denial and put on 20 pounds.

About a year after this doc appointment, I decided that this was not a good path I was on. I joined MFP and took baby steps.

I didn't plan to overhaul everything all at once.

First I just tried to eat under calorie goal. Because I like to eat, that required me to exercise if I wanted to eat more. I've always been one to actively eat back my exercise calories.

Because I was hungry all the time, I learned that eating more fruits and vegetables allowed me to eat more food then if I were eating french fries and toast.

It wasn't until a couple months in that I started using the scale. It is very helpful. I won't lie. However, if you're the type that gets overwhelmed and then possibly feels defeated, deciding to overhaul your entire diet, exercise, and your habits – like measuring and weighing everything – It may be very difficult to maintain this all the time.

I think you should come up with 1-2 achievable goals first and work with that. If that's drink 10 glasses of water and log every food item for the first week, then so be it. If it's do 10 minutes of exercise every day for two weeks, then do that.

If you try to do everything all at once, it's going to be really hard...unless you're one of those diligent types of people (my husband is like that. I'm the complete opposite. Lol)

Or that's just my perspective. Even though in college I used to work out 5 to 6 days a week for an hour and a half, I didn't start back and do that. I would've failed. I wasn't in the mindset or physical shape to do that, so I started out with 15 minutes of cardio, three days a week...and it was hard....and sorta embarrassing that it was all I could do. But those 15 minutes turned into 30, then 45, then 60. And it became a habit.

That's my two cents...hope that helps.

• rcottonrph1
    Options
    It is what it is. So where do you want to go from here? It sucks that you gained what, but your decision to stop gaining and start losing is yours. If your eating is related to emotional issues, start with getting some help. Don't dwell on what has happened. Focus on moving forward!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Tbh its not hard and just a process, but I wouldnt start it full on until you are ready to commit. Log without restriction, but weigh your food. Log your exercise as well.

Because I get the impression your are overwhelmed then take a back seat for a few weeks and read the forums plus make notes. you will see the same old same old time and again. From the answers and looking at other peoples problems you cna then start to grasp whats involved. Its not about starting its about finishing and reaching target in a healthy and sustainable way.

From there make realistic baby steps so you feel your way into executing your plan. Small victories will build confidence. be yur own best friend, dont deminse food and have realustic expectations. As a rule of thumb 60 pounds then set yourself a target of 60 weeks, which might be longer, but you need to spot and identify all the mistakes people make at the beginning and make sure you arent falling into the traps of failed diets.

Good luck and get some friends.
  • healthiermeep
    Options
    Thanks for the advice I am making sure to reach for fruit when the sweet tooth attacks and drinking more water when I feel the need to eat but am not hungery. It seems to be working well. I am also working out I like running so I am starting with that.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Well in the case of yesterday no but sometimes yes

The great thing about logging is, you can use it to figure out patterns and then you can change them. So, even if you have bad days, log it all anyway. You can look at it and try to figure out why it wasn't good or why it was good. Like..... Did I eat all carbs and ended up feeling unsatisfied all day so I kept eating more? Stuff like that. Try not to look at it as a complete failure when you have bad days, use it to learn and correct things.
  • IndigoSue13
    IndigoSue13 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of great advice offered here. Trying not to be so hard on yourself, and taking small steps at first are very important. When I started in earnest back in July, I spent a lot of time reading the forums and gleaning the good practices from the bad. The best advice I found was on the success stories forum. If you read some of the posts from folks who have lost a lot of weight over a long period of time and kept it off, you'll find some good advice and healthy practices. (As a caveat - you may have to wade through some stuff that is not so great advice -- fad diets and such. The more you read, the more you'll be able to discern the good from the bad, and what will work for you. It's good to keep in mind that not everything works for every person.)

Another good suggestion is to do what you normally would do for a couple of weeks, and just log all of it. Then you can go back and look it over to find the patterns that may be troublesome for you. Sometimes identifying the behaviors that aren't working for you is difficult until you see it all written down somewhere.

You CAN do this! You deserve it. Take one small step at a time, make small changes, and note how much better you feel with each change. Make each small success a building block and inspiration for the next success. :)