I hate running.

Options
13»

Replies

• JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Most people hate it at first. I hated it but kept at and kept at it and before long I loved it. It's completely addicting. And my knees and ankles have never hurt for one second. My advice to you is, get out there and go for it but start out SLOWLY. Don't try to run 2 miles or even 1 mile. Walk for 10 then pick up your pace a bit and run for a tenth of a mile, or to the next lamppost or whatever. Then drop back down to a walk. Keep stretching out the distance that you run and before you know it you'll be able to run a mile without stopping and then 2 and 3 and 4. You can also try a C25K app, I know several people who have used these training plans successfully. Go slowly, and if you can afford it go get fitted for shoes at a running store. You'll save yourself from injuries and heartache. Good luck!
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    What about hiking, biking, swimming, rowing, kickboxing, snowshoeing, so many choices.
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    jlp19771 wrote: »
    Plus it's so hard on your joints.

No it's not

Actually, long term it has been proven to strengthen the bones and joints and provide a better quality of life.

Here is an article from Time Magazine which supports this http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1948208,00.html

I'm sure the Dr's they interviewed at Stanford don't just make this $#it up.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    So...you're saying that there are others things to do besides running? This board is kind of vague with its recommendations. It's hard to follow along with 20 people saying the same thing over and over and over.

Hopefully the OP gets it.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    So...you're saying that there are others things to do besides running? This board is kind of vague with its recommendations. It's hard to follow along with 20 people saying the same thing over and over and over.

Hopefully the OP gets it.

Well, it is a thread in the forums so anyone can chime in. I hate the first ten minutes or so of running but find the rest if not lovely or enjoyable then at least tolerable. Afterwards it is endorphin central.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »
    I like running. That said, I really don't like running between miles 1 and 2 on a regular basis. That is where I used to stop and start doing the whole walk/run thing. It took a long time before I was regularly running through this point to where it seems to be a lot easier between miles 2 and 3 (for me).

For years I would try to start running, but it always sucked. When I started C25k nearly 9 years ago I had an epiphany -- the first 2 miles ALWAYS suck. Why did none of the runners in my life tell me that?! I never would have spent my 20s fat if I'd had that knowledge on my first try and had a goal of getting past the warm-up misery.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    I hate the first ten minutes or so of running but find the rest if not lovely or enjoyable then at least tolerable. Afterwards it is endorphin central.

This. And there is nothing like a run to give me thinking time away from the distractions of computer, phone, kid, chores that need doing, etc. Even if I'm listening to music I get a nice block of time to just mull stuff over. I can't do that on the bike, since I have to be so much more aware of my surroundings and road hazards at bike speeds. At my ploddy run pace facing traffic or on paved paths I can lose myself in thought a lot easier.