Have not lost a lb in over a week

Options
Hello. I've been eating my goal calories, salads and low cars for 21 days straight today. I work out 4 to 5 times a week and I have not lost 1 lb this week. I've been working so hard to stay focused. But when the scale doesn't move I get discouraged like I'm waisting my time

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    It's only a week. It doesn't mean anything. You could be retaining water. Just keep going at it. I only lose a pound of month but it doesn't stop me from trying.
  • priyaFitnessFreak
    priyaFitnessFreak Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    That happened to me for the first couple of weeks. I think it's because you've started exercising and are gaining muscle. I would give it 2 more weeks before getting discouraged. Also, do remember that mfp does over-estimate exercise calories; so don't eat all of them back.
  • dianebinnsflorio
    Options
    Women fluctuate week to week due to our cycles etc so don't let the scale make you crazy. Plus when firming up muscle is more compact and inches can be lost while the scale remains the same
  • arditarose
    Options
    That happened to me for the first couple of weeks. I think it's because you've started exercising and are gaining muscle. I would give it 2 more weeks before getting discouraged. Also, do remember that mfp does over-estimate exercise calories; so don't eat all of them back.

Starting exercise can cause water retention. But you cannot gain muscle on a calorie deficit.
  • MrsKila
    MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You are right. But when you have about 25lbs to loose results keep you going. I decided that I'm not gonna give up. That was decided when I started. Just wandering how people get through these stages. Mathematically speaking I should at least loose a lb. A week. Just venting right now
  • arditarose
    Options
    jimmy0911 wrote: »
    You are right. But when you have about 25lbs to loose results keep you going. I decided that I'm not gonna give up. That was decided when I started. Just wandering how people get through these stages. Mathematically speaking I should at least loose a lb. A week. Just venting right now

It's okay! Like someone else mentioned, you might stall around your period. The weight tends to drop off afterward then. Just make sure you're weighing your food and tracking as accurately as possible.
  • MrsKila
    Options
    I was thinking or shall I say hoping the sane thing re: muscle weight
  • arditarose
    Options

Nah. If you're eating at a deficit, it's not muscle weight. You need to eat at a surplus and work hard to gain muscle.
  • MrsKila
    Options
    I work really hard when I work out. Maybe I just need to stop weights and just do cardio
  • MrsKila
    Options

Thanks
  • MrsKila
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Nah. If you're eating at a deficit, it's not muscle weight. You need to eat at a surplus and work hard to gain muscle.
    High-protein, low-calorie diets have been used as a tool for weight loss and people who want to increase lean body mass. It requires you to decrease your total amount of calories consumed per day but increase the ratio of protein that you normally eat in order to build muscle tissue. This is the method that I've been following
  • arditarose
    edited January 2015
    Options

High-protein, low-calorie diets have been used as a tool for weight loss and people who want to increase lean body mass. It requires you to decrease your total amount of calories consumed per day but increase the ratio of protein that you normally eat in order to build muscle tissue. This is the method that I've been following

To retain the muscle mass that you have, yes.

You shouldn't stop lifting! You'll be happier once you lost the weight. Hotter body.
  • MrsKila
    Options

You shouldn't stop lifting! You'll be happier once you lost the weight. Hotter body.

If I keep lifting will it make me bulky instead of lean if the weight doesn't come off?
  • arditarose
    Options

If I keep lifting will it make me bulky instead of lean if the weight doesn't come off?

No, because the idea you're getting from the diet you're following is not completely correct. If you lift on a deficit you maintain your muscle mass (as much as you can), instead of losing muscle as well as fat. This often means that you can weigh more, but look like you weigh less. I have been doing that and I'm not bulky. It's not possible.
  • MrsKila
    Options

No, because the idea you're getting from the diet you're following is not completely correct. If you lift on a deficit you maintain your muscle mass (as much as you can), instead of losing muscle as well as fat. This often means that you can weigh more, but look like you weigh less. I have been doing that and I'm not bulky. It's not possible.

Thank you so much for the advise. I was actually able to button a pair of pants that I could not before today. I will use that as confirmation and move forward
  • arditarose
    Options

Thank you so much for the advise. I was actually able to button a pair of pants that I could not before today. I will use that as confirmation and move forward

Yeah! see! You got this.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Oh, p.s. I know you said you have 25 lbs to lose. I lost 25 lifting on a deficit and I am so thankful I lifted all along, I wouldn't look this way at 138 if I had not.
  • RadiantChange
    RadiantChange Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    On days or weeks like that...I like to ask myself, "Did I gain?" Because for me the most important part of this process is to at least maintain.
  • MrsKila
    Options
    That's a great way of thinking of it. I need to do my measurements. That will help. I realize the scale is not everything. I need to stop putting so much stock in it
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    That's a great way of thinking of it. I need to do my measurements. That will help. I realize the scale is not everything. I need to stop putting so much stock in it

Yup! Focusing only on the scale will drive you nuts. I've had weeks where I lost zero-some where I gained a bit. Then all of a sudden I lose 3 pounds! But I know exactly what you mean: seeing no loss after being dedicated can be such a bummer. Losses seem to motivate more than anything-but just know that if you continue what you're doing there is NO way you can't lose. But if you stop- you can and probably will gain.
    Keep at it! :)