WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2013

Options

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone. I just wanted to jump in and say hi before I go off to bed. I've been doing terribly at keeping my calories under control lately. I have to really focus on that. I am up to rung 6 of the hacker diet ladder but think I will have to stay at that level for a while. My back has been really bothering me lately. Too much lifting at work I think. I don't know how long I will be able to keep up this job. My walking has suffered too because of the heat and humidity. Too hot to walk at lunch and too tired to walk in the evening. I'll think of something. I started back to school to work on my second master's. This one in information systems. Yes, I am a computer geek! I also love going to school and learning. I go online so can work around my schedule. Well, off to bed now. I can't believe we are already at page 4 after 1 day! Amazing!

See you all next time,

Rita from hot and humid Tennessee
  • jreneecal
    jreneecal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hello new to the site, looking to get fit and healthy. Had knee surgery last November and it really is time to get on with it. Just got back from vacation and unfortunately gained 4 pounds. Time to eat better and get on the elliptical. Wanted to walk to the post office from work but just couldn't in the 90+ temp. Hope everyone has a wonderful evening!
    jrenee
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Wishing Amanda and Sue good luck with their surgeries and hoping for a speedy recovery. Welcome to the newbies, come back often and visit. Barbie will be starting a new thread in July so look for it.
    Still working my way through the poison (whatever it is). The PA said it would be gone in three weeks so I'm counting on that. We leave for a week in Hawaii on the 11th and I don't want to be itchy.
    To add to the conversation about leaking, I never had leaking but I was working in the garden and picked up a 40 lb bag of mulch and felt something pop. Bladder prolapse and surgery to correct. So be careful pickup up those big rocks!!!
    Going to water aerobics for the first time this year tomorrow. I've really missed it so am anxious to get back in the pool.
    I agree it's getting too hot in TX to do too much outside. I'm hoping I can still play golf until I leave on vacation. I haven't met the goal I set in January but I'm down 15 lbs more than I would have been without a goal.
    I've enjoyed reading all the posts but didn't take notes so can't respond tonight.
    Can't believe June is almost gone.
    Sue in TX
  • lulu4thewin
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone. :flowerforyou:

Well, I had my first "Wednesday Weigh-in" since joining the site and I appear to have lost 6 pounds!! This wretched calorie counting works! haha So is it Stockholm Syndrome if I feel affection for my MFP taskmaster? :huh:

Just to clarify (you guys are such commode-ians, hee), my first name is Carolyn, but my Carolyn-based screen names kept being denied, so I switched to the middle name--Louise--hence lulu4thewin. Feel free to call me any of these, or relevant subparts. :tongue:

cruzcrzyMarie: Good luck on the hair!! Having your hair the way you want it is pretty central to feeling good. I'm just pretending the gray adds a sparkle--haha--because I'm too lazy for the upkeep involved in coloring. I've also come to an impasse on hair cuts. I have become tired of the same old bob, but can't identify another style that I want to wear. The result is that I've inadvertently grown my hair quite long. Not sure it works on my old head--but still can't identify a cut I want. :noway:

Aldi's does have some great prices (did you know they are a sister store to Trader Joes?), but I avoid anything on the Dirty Dozen list that isn't organic. That rules out berries and apples, etc. I can still score good deals on citrus, mangoes, and bananas, though. :smile: And I love Aldi's for some of their products: Almond milk, orgainc blue corn chips, etc. Plus, for the sweet-eaters in my family (and at holidays when the grandkids need a treat) they have nice chocolate, and many candies that have no artificial flavors or dyes (rather they use vegetable colors).

They have other things that are full of trans fats and chemicals, so you just have to read the labels. But they DO offer some really good things at great prices.

Gardengail: Good luck resolving your Lipitor issue. Have you ever seen Dr. Joel Fuhrman's programs on PBS? He claims to be able to get people off their meds via his "nutritarian" diet. He has many books out and a web site. I'm not suggesting that you should do that--obviously I know nothing about your situation--just putting it out there if you haven't seen this material yet. But that's another point. If you don't like meds, you can keep working on dietary healing even after going on a med. If the dietary approach works, you can always go off the subsequently unneeded med. :flowerforyou: Either way, don't feel bad--you are doing a good job and taking care of yourself in the best way at this point. The journey always continues....

Katla49: We'll see about that eternal struggle. hahaha Among other things, I'm exploring the power of the subconscious mind. Might just shut the gate for good. :wink: Also, I see all the calorie journaling as a great way to really learn that information, which should lead to better habits and easier control.

Sometimes I daydream about cream-filled doughnuts, and think it's horrible that I really can't have them anymore. (Phooey on the occasional treat, if you're going to enjoy cream-filled doughnuts you need to be able to eat them until you've had your fill. haha.) But then I realize that, to a heroin addict, the thought of never having heroin again would be just as alarming. Sugar is my heroin, and I am getting good at seeing it as just that.

I do enjoy a big pot of tisane with stevia. :heart:

Still looking for that yoga dvd...

Hope you all find calorie-free ways to pamper yourselves tomorrow. :flowerforyou:

xo
    Carolyn
  • Valligirl30
    Options
    New here and just wanted to say Hi everyone! :)
  • lulu4thewin
    Options
    Don't see the edit button anymore...so replying my PS: I'm from NE Ohio. When I think it's hot here, I just reflect on those of you in the South-Western states. Whew! (Still turning on the A/C, though. haha.) :glasses:

Hi Valligirl.:bigsmile:
  • sunshine61250
    sunshine61250 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! We got back yesterday from our cruise and y'all were just WAY too talkative!!! It will take me forever to catch up and I have laundry to do, menus to plan, shopping to do so I think I'll just try to keep up from here. As usual, I ate so much food on the cruise that I gained a bunch of weight. But that's ok. It was worth it. I think I'll wait a week to adjust my weight though online .... just to make me feel a little better.

Have a WONDERFUL day!

Joy (American living the good life in Stavanger, Norway)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,736 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    let me clarify.I count the walking as calories, I did 15,000 steps yesterday. 3 mile walk and mowed the lawn, so I just counted 2000 steps as 100 calories. and I was on my feet all day at work. between the fitbit and the pedometer.im hoofin awaty. already got my 50 mile badge on the fitbit site:bigsmile:
    dropping Chester off at the groomers,then coming home and walking Homer ,then I have to go to work for about 4 hrs,they are fixing computers,and fixing a dental chair..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,267 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Phew, how good it was to get back to the gym machines and my weights and resistance exercises. I did a good workout this morning.:happy:

Those ladies with leakage - please do try the pelvic floor exercises. It worked miracles for me and I am 63.:tongue:

DH is at the therapist. Hope he comes back as enthused as last week.

Sue. - glad your cruise was enjoyable. That holiday weight is nearly all water so most of it will float away. :laugh: I really want to do a Norwegian and Arctic Circle Cruise before too long.

NSV for me. Yesterday in the Underground, which we call the tube, I was walking really fast, running up the escalators and skipping down the stairs. I almost lost DH and DSIL! A year ago I was lumbering along, holding on to the banisters and out of breath. I still can hardly believe the improvement in my fitness. It seems amazing to me and I don't recognize myself! DH can't believe it either.:love:
    We hope to go to a local stately home tomorrow that has an amazing rose garden. Hope the weather holds up.

Stir fry pork fillet with shrimp paste tonight. I keep the salt down by using a low sodium soy sauce. I will pick a few more of our delicious broad beans and mix them with rice and loads of herbs and scallions. An arugula salad will just finish it off. :bigsmile: Will probably use brown rice.

All your talk of hard boiled eggs has got me going for my lunch. I love them! :laugh: :flowerforyou:

Bye for now, Heather in Hampshire UK
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I`m out of time before I even get started:angry: ! My back is doing just fine this morning:bigsmile: , just a weird glitz I guess, anyhow I`m thankful it`s not hurting anymore!

Joy:smile: It`s nice to see you back, I thought you might had fallen off that rock:noway: !

I`ve read all the posts and I`m wishing everyone well:flowerforyou: !!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Have a wonderful day!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in cloudy:frown: NC
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Carolyn, I have seen parts of the Dr. Fuhrman show on PBS, but with all the beg-a-thons in between I don't believe I've seen it all the way through. Thanks for the reminder about it -- I'll check it out.

For all my wild abandon at dinner, not even up a 1/2 pound this morning. (Of course, my 'wild' abandon was a chicken breast with fontina cheese and a delicious lemony sauce, and I couldn't finish half of it!! I also had a salad with a citrus/cilantro dressing on the side and steamed veggies.) So many things are no long appealing to me and the new ways of eating are preferred now.

Jan -- good to see you back!!

New Friends - just realized I have a list sitting there and will respond. Sorry for the oversight!

Hope ya'll have a great day!

Gail, metro ATL
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Vicki, check with the senior center where you live and see if there is a line dance class….wow, a motorcycle
    I am impressed---that takes more than big girl panties, it takes Wonder Woman panties and then some.

:flowerforyou: Michele, it takes time with cats, but it helps if you are the one who puts food in his bowl.

:flowerforyou: Rita, have you tried ice for your back?

:flowerforyou: Carolyn, I’ve had to ban many foods from my house and my life because I don’t have any concept of eating just one, so I eat none (cream filled doughnuts are only one of many)……you are so right about some foods being to us like heroin is to an addict.

:flowerforyou: Joy, I’m glad you are back safe and happy from your cruise……yes, cruises have too much food.

:flowerforyou: Heather, congrats on your speedy run through the tube station……better fitness feels so good.

:flowerforyou: Welcome to everyone who is new…..please keep coming back and join the conversation.

:bigsmile: Breakfast is finished and the dogs are staring at me and wondering when we will go walking.

:heart: Barbie from rainy NW Washington
  • mggriso
    mggriso Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi folks, I am a 57 year old recent my fitness joinee from Birmingham, England. Do you need to do anything to join this group or just pitch in as and when you have something to say. Need to loose about 4 stone, thats 50+lbs. I had a hernia operation in January and it was found my stomach muscles are wrecked after a previous op, so though my bikini days are over I am desperate to shift at least some of the belly. I am on the 5:2 diet at the moment and it seems to be working, have lost a few pounds and clothes fit better. Lovely and warm here at the moment and I will be off to Zumba after school (I teach), so I should loose weight but it seems to get harder the older I get :ohwell:
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,
    I will try again...the first one just disappeared :grumble: ....I haven't been on much...been down with an infection..and was very nauseous with it...I haven't been able to get much exercising done :grumble: My body doesn't feel well enough to do them.:cry: .but I know in my head I have to try...maybe today.....depends on my Chronic Fatigue...I don't go outside to walk because I get dizzy just moving my head sometimes :cry: ..so I do a walking CD by Leslie Sansone..she adds a few exercises with the walking..I enjoy it most days....but others are hard :ohwell:
    I see there are some new ladies joining the group..Welcome...you will really enjoy this group of wonderful supporting women....I read all the posts and wish I could comment on them all..but my head just isn't good enough to do it....I love reading how your days were and get to see a bit of your place you live that I never would any other way....Thank You all for that :happy:

Well I am off to find a new hair dresser.. mine moved away :sad: :sad: :sad: I have lost my Family Dr she moved away......my counselor moved away..now my hair lady :sad: :cry: :cry: :sad:
    Wishing you all a great day!!!

Liz, fr Halifax NS
    http://dl2.glitter-graphics.net/pub/1455/1455682apvfgvhztr.gif[/img][/url]
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies!

Today is the day I am cleaning this house. Back feels supportive, joints aren't aching, muscles seem like they want to move. So it seems like a good day for cleaning. :bigsmile:

I might even make it to the gym today which would be a good thing.

Joy - welcome back from the cruise!

Gail - feels great being back! I'm on track and working through food choices again!

Okay I'm going to get started on this house!!

See everyone later!!

Jan in NC waiting for the storms again
  • altygirl
    altygirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I'm enjoying reading the posts and seeing who lives where and who does what!

Heather - which stately home are you going to? I miss visiting homes and gardens like that. Hopefully the weather will be good (!) when I get home to England in mid-July.

Helen in MA
  • CritterSue
    CritterSue Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Off to see some clients, but quickly checking in.

Michele, it can take time for some cats to get used to new people. Some get very stressed being out of their environment. To what degree is the diabetes? I have diabetic kitties that I visit and give their shots twice a day. It can be very dangerous to skip dosages. You are in a tough position. Do you have anyone that could help hold the cat while you give shot? If not, perhaps your local vet could help. The kitty will hopefully come around to you soon. Maybe you could give him some special treats or catnip to make things fun and distract him? Wishing you luck!

Will check back later. Have a good day everyone!

Critter Sue
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    good morning ladies,

We are expecting good hot weather this weekend so i plan on melting. I don't do well with a lot of heat. Anything over 75 and we start griping. It is expected to hit 90 next week. :glasses:

I hope to do some work outside though and maybe go for a bike ride.

Have a great day all,

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
    PNW

PS Michele - my deductible is way too high for the insurance to cover my windsheild. It wasn't that bad only $213. and they came to me to replace it.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone.....

Not much time here, gotta run---lots to say but no time to say it.......well, that's life, isn't it?

Newbies: welcome and please stick around.......I don't know about anyone else, but I always wonder what happens to all the hit-and-run people we never hear from again.......are they lost and can't find their way back, did they just give up, or find a group they fit better???

Gail.........I totally understand your reluctance; I'm not much on drugs either......between being a DES daughter with a daughter of my own to worry about what I may have passed on, having been on Seldane for allergies----until it was abruptly pulled from the market, and having taken Trovan (an antibiotic that is now used only in very extreme circumstances from what I understand; it caused liver failure in WAY too many instances). I now cast a VERY skeptical eye on any medicine the dr. wants to give me and insist everything I take be on the market a few years and have a decent track record. As I bluntly told him: I am no longer interested in being what amounts to a wide sampling test subject for new drug releases. Stepping off the box now..................

I have to agree that the pelvic floor exercises ( even Kegals {sp?}) seem to help the "pee" issues.

Liz.........sorry you are feeling poorly and seem to be losing your "support personnel"

Marie and LuLu.......I stopped coloring about 10yrs. ago; recently got my very long hair cut short (well, short for me---about 2" below ears) and couldn't be happier about it---very salt and pepper here, and a lot more salt than pepper I don't miss all those hours coloring
    or the expense..........but ----what a pain the growing out was!!! I do often think of adding a touch of something here or there.

My DH got up first this am........doesn't happen often........and my "pets" got so impatient for breakfast that one of the squirrels decided to climb a breakfast room window screen and chatter his frustration at DH........

Yes, the china cabinet was bought ages ago because the store owner said he'd deliver it.......I was hrs. away from home and driving a Camry and it was one of those ideas that seemed like a good one at the time......he seems an honest sort and I'm sure it will get here one of these days, main problem right now is showers in the forcast almost daily and his open back truck and limited days off........also, (truth be told) I need another piece of furniture like I need more volunteer jobs.......

As usual, hot and humid w/thundershowers
    so far, no rain; missing us for days,
    Take care, all
    yanniejannie........mid-Atlantic
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy thurs.
    Was scheduled to do my routine pap and mammagram today,they called and cancelled the mammagram,have to go next week.had scheduled both to do in 1 day and save time and gas,oh well.
    Hope all have a nice day.
    HUGS
    jane