Working out but getting bigger... Why?

Options
2»

Replies

• dreamob
    dreamob Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    lanaloo30 wrote: »
    Thank you to those who offered genuine advice. I always work out 5 days a week but have been pushing myself at the gym hard for the last two months and eating leaner and adding more protein. Like I said, my muscle definition on my arms and legs is becoming more noticeable. Also, I wouldn’t have posted this if I was “cheating myself” on what I was eating. I dropped my calorie intake because I noticed I wasn’t losing the weight how I thought I should be and welp, this didn't work. I will try increasing my calorie intake by 300 to start and give an update in a couple weeks.

Having the same issue. Did upping your calories work for you? I have been trying that, but feel like that isn't working either, or at least not yet
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have been working out for about two months 5 days a week. I am very active. I am not seeing the scale change but I know that doesn’t necessarily matter. However, I am getting bigger and am not able to fit in a single pair of jeans I own, can’t get them past my thighs and even if I could I doubt they would button :( I have increased my water intake to make sure I am not retaining water but still feel bloated, can’t even get my rings on. I am starting to see my muscles defining but can’t seem to cut the fat off the top. Do I stick with what I am doing and hope that in a few more weeks I will see the fat come off or do I stop lifting weights (love the feel of listing) and just do more cardio (boring). What am I doing wrong? What should I start doing?

You're getting bigger and your pants don't fit anymore?

Weight lifting does not bulk women. I suggest changing your batteries in your scale or get a new one.

It sounds like you're eating too much or have a medical issue. Have you seen your doctor?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Thank you to those who offered genuine advice. I always work out 5 days a week but have been pushing myself at the gym hard for the last two months and eating leaner and adding more protein. Like I said, my muscle definition on my arms and legs is becoming more noticeable. Also, I wouldn’t have posted this if I was “cheating myself” on what I was eating. I dropped my calorie intake because I noticed I wasn’t losing the weight how I thought I should be and welp, this didn't work. I will try increasing my calorie intake by 300 to start and give an update in a couple weeks.

Okay, if you are not losing weight you are eating too much. Raising your calorie goal, especially by 300, will not lead to weight loss.

Do you weigh your food and log everything you eat?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I know it will be a slow process... I am at 1,200 cals and most of the time I am under so that can't be it. Maybe what I am eating? I increased my protein and curbed my carbs. I am also not sure why I am retaining so much water.

I think you are miscalculating, which is very common. It's easy to unintentionally underestimate food in an calories burned.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I know it will be a slow process... I am at 1,200 cals and most of the time I am under so that can't be it. Maybe what I am eating? I increased my protein and curbed my carbs. I am also not sure why I am retaining so much water.

there's no way you're actually at 1200 calories and working out 5 days per week and getting bigger...the math just doesn't work. You're eating more than you think you are. If you're not using a food scale I can pretty much guarantee it. Also, I know people who makes these claims, but they don't actually log or log everything...when I've been able to actually get them to log everything and use a food scale...well, let's just say it's an eye opener most of the time.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    do you use a food scale OP?
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    This thread was originally created back in January so it'd be neat to hear OP's experiences since then!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    This thread was originally created back in January so it'd be neat to hear OP's experiences since then!

Freaking zombie thread
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Freaking zombie thread

LOL I never think to look at the dates of posts!

• SLLRunner
    Options

I didn't realize that. I wish she would come back and report. :)