Avocado opinions

Options
124»

Replies

• lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Eat them as often as you want. Just count the calories.

I encourage you to weigh avocados, though. The "medium" entries seem to be for small avocados. I have always considered myself good at eyeballing portion sizes, so when I first bought a scale I tested myself. My estimate was very close to correct except for avocados. I was off by maybe 20% with those.

I eat 2-3 avocados a week during the warm months. A few years ago I went to Peru and ate an avocado every day. (yum!) During that month in Peru, I lost about five pounds.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I put avocado on just about everything now. I use it to replace mayo on sandwiches. To replace the fat in salad dressings. On toast in the mornings instead of butter. Love Avocados!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    clf1284 wrote: »
    What an odd subject.. I love those dang things. But they have lots of fat. I know it's healthy fat, but it's still fat. My question is, how often would you think they should be eaten? I could eat them everyday but obviously that's not a great idea.

dietary fat doesn't make you fat...eating fat has no bearing on whether you lose weight or not unless you are going over on calories...and avocados are packed with awesome nutrition. I eat 1/2 an avocado every single day. It's great for the heart.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    10291077_10152830679857326_4421809627313123839_n.jpg?oh=8a6210ece950a1bf62fc0485e0810458&oe=552A7DAA&__gda__=1429349845_7615d8bf97a199c17f7bb25cff573b68

Love this!
    Avocados are awesome!
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I eat a half an avacado a day most weeks :) I love them!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I have some waiting on me to make guacamole tonight. :smiley:
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    When I find them for $0.49 @ Aldi, I eat them daily.

For some reason, my Aldi here in Kansas always has them for ridiculous prices. They're 29-cents this week here and I'm stocking up!

OMG!!! they are always at least $1.00 each here, but I eat 4 or 5 a week. They are high in fiber and that negates a lot of their carbs, so they fit perfectly into my 'fat meal' (3:1 ratio fat grams to net carb grams)

• merfhur
    merfhur Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    When I have avocados in my house I usually end up eating a full one on wholewheat toast for breakfast every day.
    I'm still losing weight fine, I just shift around other meals to make up for it.
    The good thing about this breakfast is it keeps me full for ages so I don't tend to snack.
  • purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I like the Wholly Guacamole100 Cal Snack Packs. I use them as a dip or as a spread on my sandwich. Regular avocado's are best but the grocery's around me don't always have good ones. Last 3 times they were bad on the inside.
  • clf1284
    clf1284 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It's official. I am currently obsessed with avocados. I tried cooking them in the oven with an egg and they are awesome! My plan was to eat half for breakfast and half for lunch, but I ate the whole thing! So much yum.
  • clf1284
    clf1284 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I like the Wholly Guacamole100 Cal Snack Packs. I use them as a dip or as a spread on my sandwich. Regular avocado's are best but the grocery's around me don't always have good ones. Last 3 times they were bad on the inside.

I like mixing those with tuna fish. Sounds a little weird but I love it!