Four months after stopping cardio/counting calories - You should try it.

Options
ajnb88
ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
Long time no see. I made my first progress thread a while ago, showing how far I'd come from my biggest to smallest. Here are the pics I used:

560962_10151108434191322_729482117_n.jpg

IMAG1550_1.jpg

But since then, My attitude has changed. I realised I was getting very skinny (albeit with certain areas of fat that wouldn't shift), and changed my focus somewhat. Out went the 1800/day calorie limit, replaced with trying to hit 4000 - over twice what I had lived on for a long time. As well as this, my gym regime of cardio 3/4/5 times a week ended. I moved over to the weights instead.

This morning while getting ready to go to work, I realised how I haven't gotten fat again, and in fact really liked how I looked. So here's a picture.

IMAG2161.jpg

I'm not big by any stretch, although I'm starting to get compliments on my shoulders. Essentially what I've learned here is that eating a *kitten* ton of food and lifting heavy stuff is A HELL of a lot more fun than borderline starvation and running til I drown in sweat and CO2. For those of you worried that switching to weights from cardio will make you lose all your progress, It really won't. Try it, it's fun.

Replies

• Cincypsych
    Cincypsych Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    wow
  • dancinginrain
    dancinginrain Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Amazeballs!
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Cincypsych wrote: »
    wow

This...completely

• ajnb88
    Options
    :)
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Excellent job and setting a great example.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    so. much. better!!! :) you look so much better :)
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Great job!

For the sake of comparison, I split my workouts about evenly between strength training and running and enjoy doing both a lot. I'm 6ft 170lbs, and eat about 2,500 calories a day, eating back almost every calorie burned, so hunger is never an issue!
  • emilysp92
    Options
    wow.. well done! you look great!
  • ajnb88
    edited January 2015
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    Great job!

For the sake of comparison, I split my workouts about evenly between strength training and running and enjoy doing both a lot. I'm 6ft 170lbs, and eat about 2,500 calories a day, eating back almost every calorie burned, so hunger is never an issue!

Aye, I kind of wanted to do that, but would you believe my lack of suitable headphones was a major reason not to? (Earbuds fell out, and I was fed up with my expensive cans getting sweaty :D )
    emilysp92 wrote: »
    wow.. well done! you look great!

Thank you :3 I'm not there yet, although I struggle to really understand where 'there' is, to be honest. I guess I want to go back up a shirt size without it being fat doing it.
    so. much. better!!! :) you look so much better :)
    Excellent job and setting a great example.

:D
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you - that's amazing progress!
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Do you think it would work for someone that needs to lose a significant amount of weight?
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    And I feel you on the cardio thing.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I agree. you were too skinny, I am glad that you saw this!! YOUR SMART! WAY TO GO!! YOU HAVE DONE VERY WELL!
  • ajnb88
    Options
    Do you think it would work for someone that needs to lose a significant amount of weight?

Probably. I mean, as I said, I'm eating a LOT of food now, and not putting on fat. (If anything, I'm struggling to put on decent mass quickly). Stick to compound movements and you use a lot of energy in a short time - plus as your muscles repair/grow, they need more calories just to exist, meaning less converted to fat.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    really awesome congrats!
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you went way too far with the weight loss, to the point you looked anorexic. You look much better now, but keep lifting heavy you need to gain some more weight.
  • ajnb88
    Options
    34blast wrote: »
    In my opinion you went way too far with the weight loss, to the point you looked anorexic. You look much better now, but keep lifting heavy you need to gain some more weight.

In retrospect, yes. Although I reckon the cause was that, back then, I thought it'd be easier to essentially 'strip down' and build back again. Now I'm trying to get back up, it's not that easy..!

The first pic was about 105kg, the second around 71. Currently around 75/76 (third pic) and my current goal is to get up to 90 eventually. :)
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Nice! Congrats!!
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Wow ;) looking great!
  • ajnb88
    Options
    Update: My arms are finally starting to get somewhere :) :

B_MBz2KW0AAxxM7.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!