Cowboy Boots on a Yankee?

Options
astrose00
astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
Are they cool? I am becoming obsessed with getting a custom pair. I think I want baby blue ones with butterflies on them?

Do y'all have or want them? If so what color/design?

Replies

• AmyEMR
    AmyEMR Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Used to have a pair, gray. They are more comfortable than they look.
    A tip if you're in the snow belt....take two pieces of duct tape (yes, i'm a red neck LOL) and make an "X" with them on the bottom of each boot. Helps with traction.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Texas so I'm allowed to wear them for the rest of my life regardless of where I live. I currently own a pair of tan snakeskin Dan Post boots I got brand new at Goodwill for $10. They aren't the ugly over the top snakeskin either, they are really tasteful and subdued in the pattern.. LOVE them!
  • astrose00
    Options
    I'm gonna have to lie and say I'm from Texas then. I must have a pair! What are some good makers? Where should I buy from?
  • astrose00
    Options
    AmyEMR wrote: »
    Used to have a pair, gray. They are more comfortable than they look.
    A tip if you're in the snow belt....take two pieces of duct tape (yes, i'm a red neck LOL) and make an "X" with them on the bottom of each boot. Helps with traction.

Good tip. Don't want to fall on my *kitten*!
  • Archerychickge
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Dan Post, Tony Lamas, Justins,

Check out this site for the top 25 custom boot manufacturers... http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/25-top-custom-bootmakers
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I'm a Texan and I don't wear cowboy boots. I grew up on a farm riding horses, throwing hay, cleaning stalls, etc.....yet, I don't wear cowboy boots. If ya want 'em, wear 'em.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    if you want them comfortable , then go get them fitted. or better yet custom made at a good leather shop. I have one pair that i have had for 15 years, comfortable because they were made to fit my feet. bit pricey but worth it.
  • WranglerMichelle
    WranglerMichelle Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I used to sell boots for a living, and I'm a Yankee, haha! Doesn't matter where you're from, you can still appreciate a good boot. I use them primarily for horseback riding, but I have a few fashion pairs and even a workboot pair. They're the closest I come to the whole girls-and-shoes stereotype.

I personally favor Justin. They've got some very pretty boots, but I like them for their practical functionality. They're just overall good boots. I tend to stay away from Justins that weren't made in the USA, though. They seem to fall apart quicker. But if you take care of them, they can last you years. I had a pair that finally died after about 10 years of ranch work in all types of weather.

Another popular brand is Ariat, but I've found that if you have wider and/or flatter feet, you won't like them. They've usually got narrow ankles (I always have to try a size up) and high insteps. If you're going to be looking for some pretty fashion boots, Ariat makes some GORGEOUS ones.
  • astrose00
    Options
    Dan Post, Tony Lamas, Justins,

Check out this site for the top 25 custom boot manufacturers... http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/25-top-custom-bootmakers

Thanks, I definitely will check it out.

I'm near NYC and I think there is a custom maker here. I dunno if they are any good. I don't think I have many options for going to get fitted otherwise.
  • astrose00
    Options
    I used to sell boots for a living, and I'm a Yankee, haha! Doesn't matter where you're from, you can still appreciate a good boot. I use them primarily for horseback riding, but I have a few fashion pairs and even a workboot pair. They're the closest I come to the whole girls-and-shoes stereotype.

I personally favor Justin. They've got some very pretty boots, but I like them for their practical functionality. They're just overall good boots. I tend to stay away from Justins that weren't made in the USA, though. They seem to fall apart quicker. But if you take care of them, they can last you years. I had a pair that finally died after about 10 years of ranch work in all types of weather.

Another popular brand is Ariat, but I've found that if you have wider and/or flatter feet, you won't like them. They've usually got narrow ankles (I always have to try a size up) and high insteps. If you're going to be looking for some pretty fashion boots, Ariat makes some GORGEOUS ones.

Thanks so much!!! I know where part of my tax refund is going!!!
  • Archerychickge
    Options
    If you are looking for fashion boots, that's going to be a different critter than a working boot. Consider how and where you will wear them and base the design on that. A lower heel will be more comfy for everyday wear than a high one... Also, how tall do you want them? Ropers are lower cut than other styles and sport a lower heel usually too... But they are super comfy when they are broken in. Don't scrimp on your boots, if you do/ you won't be happy with them and they will become a white elephant in your closet. Buy ones you LOVE and ROCK them whenever you like! :)
  • astrose00
    Options
    I definitely want them for fashion and comfort. I envision wearing them with jeans or a cute skirt. I love butterflies (hence, the butterfly dog - my papillon) so I'd like to get some kind of "bling" on them that makes them unique. I won't scrimp. What price range would get me a good pair? Under 1000? I think the NYC place (I will check out your links first, tho) had prices around 850.
  • WranglerMichelle
    WranglerMichelle Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm always one to say good boots ain't cheap and cheap boots ain't good, but $850 is a LOT to spend on a pair of boots. You're probably spending that much because the NYC place custom makes them. My most expensive pair (a broad square-toe with a roper heel - fancy boot that's big on comfort) was retailed at $200. If you can find a tack shop or western outfitter, go there. Those folks will be trained to help you find the perfect boot for your foot without gouging you on price.
  • Archerychickge
    Options
    Well, I'm always one to say good boots ain't cheap and cheap boots ain't good, but $850 is a LOT to spend on a pair of boots. You're probably spending that much because the NYC place custom makes them. My most expensive pair (a broad square-toe with a roper heel - fancy boot that's big on comfort) was retailed at $200. If you can find a tack shop or western outfitter, go there. Those folks will be trained to help you find the perfect boot for your foot without gouging you on price.

This x10000000. Get fitted by someone who KNOWS what they are doing. I got SUPER lucky with my Dan Posts. But my feet aren't hard to fit either. Still had to have them worked on a little to get them perfect though. A good shoe repair shop that specializes in fitting and customizations can help a lot too.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    And now I want these....
    because of you people. YOU people.

2834660-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky enough to have feet small enough to fit into youth size boots, so they are almost half price. Just picked up a pair of Ariats that are like wearing slippers, they are that comfy. I also love my Justin boots, I have a pair that is 30 year old ostrich that fit like gloves and I only paid 25.00 for them back in the day because the woman I bought them from didn't want them.
    I agree that $850 is a lot to pay for a pair of boots, even custom.
  • Motofan81
    Motofan81 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It is always ok for a girl regardless of where you are at,... guys on the other hand, you are a poser even if from the south or west but are also "city-folk".
  • astrose00
    Options
    Joannah700 wrote: »
    And now I want these....
    because of you people. YOU people.

2834660-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Ha, ha, ha! Sorry!!! Come on and get on the chuck wagon, gurl!
  • astrose00
    Options

Well, heck (I'm country now, lol)! I can get like 4 pairs! Good to know. I will be doing some research this weekend!!! Thanks for the tips.
  • astrose00
    Options

This x10000000. Get fitted by someone who KNOWS what they are doing. I got SUPER lucky with my Dan Posts. But my feet aren't hard to fit either. Still had to have them worked on a little to get them perfect though. A good shoe repair shop that specializes in fitting and customizations can help a lot too.

Thanks, I will be taking all your advice. Advices? lmao.