Can't eat below maintenance

Options
13»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Your calories and macros look pretty good. You might focus on food choices and see if you can get better satiety with different choices. Also consider tracking fiber instead of sugar-- fibrous foods tend to be filling.

But mostly, this is week 1. Give yourself a little bit of time to adjust. :flowerforyou:
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    That's what happens when you exercise, at least with women. All I know to tell you is to stop eating. That's what I do.

wrong. even if I have barely eaten a thing all day, I will never be hungry after an exercise. in fact, if I have just had a really intense training, I actually won't be able to eat.

the next day, is an entirely different matter...
  • GingerbreadCandy
    Options
    I am generally OMNOMNOM EAT ALL THE FOOD after a training session (swimmer. The whole swimmer appetite thing is totally not a myth)

So, I plan my workouts to happen right before meals (typically breakfast), and I plan exact meals with exact calorie counts. I tend to be okay after I eat them no matter how ravenous I was when I got out of the pool.

except for that one. if I go swimming I will be starving right afterwards...
  • littlelatina19
    littlelatina19 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I wasn't sure how to measure and that's what a guide online told me. I also get quite out of breath and when I try to sing to the music I'm playing, I can only manage a couple of words. I go to school and sit for about 7 hours, but I walk there and back which is 15 minutes either way. I have 4 floors in my house which I'm constantly going up and down from and I have to walk to get to all of my lessons at school (our campus is pretty big). On the weekends I walk a dog for 2 hours uphill halfway, downhill the other half. I usually walk around town for about an hour or two, but it's not all spent walking. I sing a lot (practising), which I read burns a reasonable amount. Oh and sometimes I'll hoover or cook, but not too often haha
    I normally set my activity level to lightly active and add the exercise.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    My appetite is down after lifting, but after cardio it's all I can do to keep my water down. Blergh. Exception is swimming, which makes me into a food monching MACHINE.
  • clestasue
    Options
    Wow, some people can get mean on here. :smile: I'm going through a similar experience only it doesn't really have to do with exercise making me hungrier--I really don't want to weigh in on that debate. :) But I have lost about 62 lbs. and I'm only the last 20--I think it's gonna be 20, bc I'm shooting for 18% body fat (I'm 26% right now). ANYWAY, I have plateaued. I have been attempting to eat at 1200 calories, but I get up and I'm ravenous. I eat too much at breakfast--about 500 calories, which I know is way too much when I'm gonna eat every 4 hours and I only have 1200 to work in. I eat really cleanly--no grains, no processed, no dairy except for nf cottage cheese and sometimes skim milk. I pretty much just lean meats, veggies, fruit, nuts and cottage cheese. The FRUIT is my problem. I LOVE IT and natural peanut butter. BUT SUPER CALORIC and it's just hard to be hungry and not eat. I wish I liked chicken better--and eggs--but I literally have to choke down the amounts I need to keep my macros in the right proportions.

I'm really just commiserating. I get it. The people on here who have advised to eat more protein if you are still hungry are right--at least I know that is right for me--it's just hard to do when Laura Scutter's Crunchy peanut butter and Envy apples exist in the world! :)
  • GingerbreadCandy
    Options
    I wasn't sure how to measure and that's what a guide online told me. I also get quite out of breath and when I try to sing to the music I'm playing, I can only manage a couple of words. I go to school and sit for about 7 hours, but I walk there and back which is 15 minutes either way. I have 4 floors in my house which I'm constantly going up and down from and I have to walk to get to all of my lessons at school (our campus is pretty big). On the weekends I walk a dog for 2 hours uphill halfway, downhill the other half. I usually walk around town for about an hour or two, but it's not all spent walking. I sing a lot (practising), which I read burns a reasonable amount. Oh and sometimes I'll hoover or cook, but not too often haha
    I normally set my activity level to lightly active and add the exercise.

Hmm, i'd say lightly active fits. Maybe try planning your meals so they are after your workouts and you feel less hungry?

I know some people here suggested tracking your weekly calorie budget rather than your daily one. Never tried it myself, though.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Fiber fiber fiber. Not seeing a lot of it in there. Get more of it, especially leafy greens, and you'll get a lot of volume that will keep you full longer with not much impact on your calories. And while your grams on protein and fat seem decent, you're taking in a lot more carbs percent-wise... Try keeping it between 40 and 50%, you might feel better. And yeah, there's an adjustment period. Let your body get used to your new routine.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If you want to track weekly the weekly nutrition tables on the app give you daily, average and total calories under your goal over the last 7 days which makes it easy to save calories some days to eat others
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    That's what happens when you exercise, at least with women. All I know to tell you is to stop eating. That's what I do.

What men don't get hungry when they exercise???? I have a humungo friends list that will tell you you're wrong!
    OP, can you open your diary?

What I read in a magazine article recently, and my own experience has been, is that men tend to feel like eating less after exercise.

stop reading cosmo.

And wearing 4" heels:)
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Good job logging. Good job getting in your protein. Good job (overall) staying in your calorie ranges.

You could be having cyclical issues. I tend to hold onto weight and crave 1 week out of the month, and then have extra weight loss the next week.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/
    One perspective on balanced eating.

You may want to try less cheese. It seems to be where a lot of calories are coming from. You are already getting a couple of dairy servings a day, so you could drop some cheese and still be good for calcium. Yogurt is often lower calorie, greek yogurt can have similar protein, and you can have 2% for much lower fat than cheese.

Try smaller servings of carbs. I have only 1/2 cup cooked rice with my dinner.

You may want to include more fiber (see how much you have by clicking "View full report" button at bottom of diary page) for close to 30 g/day. Green leafy vegetables, beans, and fruits/berries have a lot of fiber. You could have 3 walnut halves and 100 g raspberries as a snack instead of white bread/toast for a fiber boost (6 g) with protein under 100 calories.

You may want to try fewer treats. I try for less than 100 calories of treats a day, but you have more calories, so can go for more as long as you are getting three servings dairy, 2 servings meat/alternatives, 5 servings veg/fruit and 3 servings of whole grains/day (one slice of bread is a serving).

Good luck :)
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Protein!!! I eat high protein meals and it keeps me satisfied in between meals. I've tried the whole fill up on fruit thing and was starving an hour later.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

What men don't get hungry when they exercise???? I have a humungo friends list that will tell you you're wrong!

What I read in a magazine article recently, and my own experience has been, is that men tend to feel like eating less after exercise.

But what you said was "That's what happens when you exercise, at least with women". What a broad brush you use to paint this picture. Women who exercise a lot CAN become hungry, because we are wired to preserve body fat for childbearing. This does NOT mean men don't get hungry after exercise. As a matter of fact, there are men at my gym who exercise 5 days a week and they are busting it on the cardio and weights, yet remain very overweight. Is that because they're not eating????? ahhh science says they are!

There's actually two possible explanations for that. One is that after enough exercise the not hungry thing is out weighed by the body's need for food. The other is that they are eating when they aren't hungry, but they feel justified in eating more because they are exercising so much.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

But what you said was "That's what happens when you exercise, at least with women". What a broad brush you use to paint this picture. Women who exercise a lot CAN become hungry, because we are wired to preserve body fat for childbearing. This does NOT mean men don't get hungry after exercise. As a matter of fact, there are men at my gym who exercise 5 days a week and they are busting it on the cardio and weights, yet remain very overweight. Is that because they're not eating????? ahhh science says they are!

There's actually two possible explanations for that. One is that after enough exercise the not hungry thing is out weighed by the body's need for food. The other is that they are eating when they aren't hungry, but they feel justified in eating more because they are exercising so much.

DUDE, stay down!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

really??
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Huh? lol. OK, if you say so.

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

giphy.gif
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    CW: 61kg
    Height: 156cm
    Moderate excersise (1 hour elliptical- sweating quite a bit)

What's that in proper numbers?!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    She's 5'1.5" and 134.5lbs
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    She's 5'1.5" and 134.5lbs

Thanks!