What was the worst fad diet you ever tried...

Options
124»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast. Replacing breakfast and lunch with Slim Fast shakes. That lasted about 4 days, I think. I actually wasn't all that hungry, but the shakes were awful - thick and gritty.
  • teecee60
    teecee60 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think for me it was the HCG diet. I ate about 500 calories per day and it said not to exercise. I lost 25 lbs in 6 weeks but who wouldn't. I think it was the most unhealthy thing I ever did to my body. I will never starve myself again, lesson learned.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast and the Military Diet. I also remember some dumb diet that consisted of red beans and rice.... There may have been other things, but all I remember is the beans and rice.... and more beans and rice. The only good thing that came out of that was that I learned different ways to make rice...
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Take a look at this loveliness..Weight Watchers recipes, 1974.

http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards/czarina.html

I'm at work crying in my chair with suppressed laughter. Thank you for that!

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I really never tried any fad diets, surprisingly.

I guess the closest I came was eating the exact same Lean Cuisine (Chicken Enchilada Suiza) every weekday for lunch, without fail, for about a year.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Take a look at this loveliness..Weight Watchers recipes, 1974.

http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards/czarina.html

Scrolled through a few of those, Shashlik is a real food, and tasty. It's meat on a skewer. Ate a lot of it while living in Moldova.

In my adult years, I fell for Advocare 24 day challenge, it was sold to me by a friend, thought I could trust her. I ended up 5 pounds lighter for about a week. My bank account was over $400 lighter, because you have to buy extra packages of the key stuff to actually make it through the full 24 day challenge. I was so weak I could barely move, and constantly sick to my stomach. I found myself just not eating anything rather than choking down the meal replacement shakes.

As a teenager, I went a whole summer barely eating anything, the " I'm not actually hungry" diet. When it got to the point that my stomach couldn't handle a piece of bread with butter, I realized how stupid I was being.

• ovinas1
    ovinas1 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    dtcjem wrote: »
    Cabbage soup for me. I can never look at cabbage the same !

That did it for me also..
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    PearlAng wrote: »
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    The Master Cleanse. My husband used to stare in awe as I gagged down the salt water flushes. :s

30 bananas a day....who here was stupid enough to believe Freelee? *raises hand*

There were others, including various pills and potions, but those stand out.
    -raises hand-
    I believed her and sulked about how I wouldnt be "able" to do it. Because fruit CANT POSSIBLY make you fat, right?

Could you enlighten me as to how you could possibly believe Freelee? This is not meant in a condescending or rude way, I am just genuinely curious. Just the front page of her channel made me run away in terror.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    The Master Cleanse. My husband used to stare in awe as I gagged down the salt water flushes. :s

30 bananas a day....who here was stupid enough to believe Freelee? *raises hand*

-raises hand-
    I believed her and sulked about how I wouldnt be "able" to do it. Because fruit CANT POSSIBLY make you fat, right?

Could you enlighten me as to how you could possibly believe Freelee? This is not meant in a condescending or rude way, I am just genuinely curious. Just the front page of her channel made me run away in terror.
    I was a sophomore in high school who didn't really need to lose weight. I was more along the lines of "skinny fat" and I have a mom who has struggled to lose weight ever since my birth, so I was used to seeing new diets and ways of eating. I saw Freelee, thought "hm, I like fruit, and hey, it's fruit, so how bad can it be?" Bear in mind that I had little concept of calories. But I didn't try it because we didn't have money to spend on all that fruit. I was afraid to ask my mom for that. Plus, it apparently helped Freelee's digestive issues, which I experienced from time to time. That, plus the whole "flat stomach, super energy, pureness and inner peace" thing appealed to me.

We were all naive at one point.

• GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options

-raises hand-

I was a sophomore in high school who didn't really need to lose weight. I was more along the lines of "skinny fat" and I have a mom who has struggled to lose weight ever since my birth, so I was used to seeing new diets and ways of eating. I saw Freelee, thought "hm, I like fruit, and hey, it's fruit, so how bad can it be?" Bear in mind that I had little concept of calories. But I didn't try it because we didn't have money to spend on all that fruit. I was afraid to ask my mom for that. Plus, it apparently helped Freelee's digestive issues, which I experienced from time to time. That, plus the whole "flat stomach, super energy, pureness and inner peace" thing appealed to me.

Hmmm, guess that just goes to show how different impressions different people can get. ^^ My first impression of Freelee was more on the lines of OMG who is this crazy chick? I never got any "pureness and inner peace" vibe from her. ^^
  • PearlAng
    Options

-raises hand-

Hmmm, guess that just goes to show how different impressions different people can get. ^^ My first impression of Freelee was more on the lines of OMG who is this crazy chick? I never got any "pureness and inner peace" vibe from her. ^^
    The 15/16 year old me definitely sees her differently than my current 19 year old self.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    this is not a diet, but i remember once when on MFP years ago, i was "over" on calories, so i did jumping jacks in my bedroom until i was able to get a green number!
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day diet, which included frozen lean cuisine for lunch AND dinner every freaking day. And I wondered why I continued to binge and fail at my diet
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Never really tried a fad diet, but definitely have to say falling into the whole mindset of trying to give up all of my favorite treats like candy, cookies, ice cream, brownies, pie, etc.
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Atkins. What a joke.
  • ttsrifliamg
    Options
    teecee60 wrote: »
    I think for me it was the HCG diet. I ate about 500 calories per day and it said not to exercise. I lost 25 lbs in 6 weeks but who wouldn't. I think it was the most unhealthy thing I ever did to my body. I will never starve myself again, lesson learned.

Notice how little details they offer!!! Obvious "paid blogger" at work. My nephew works for a marketing firm that is in the sMe vain as this although more legit...they scour the web for negative posts on the behalf of customers and try to legitimately remove them... If that's happening how hard is it to believe that the billion dollar diet co. are paying for bloggers to post narratives of their choosing?? Think about it whenever you see these simplistic posts seemingly with no justification or rational behind them...it's because if they offer the rational people can dissect it relatively easily. And offering up a link of someone else conclusion is NOT justification!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

-raises hand-

fwiw I have heard students (university, your age) who rave about her.
    Glad YOU figured it out.
  • PearlAng
    Options

-raises hand-

fwiw I have heard students (university, your age) who rave about her.
    Glad YOU figured it out.

Thanks! I'm pretty glad I figured it out too. And so is my pocket (if I wanted to try anything like that, I'd now have to spend my own income). And so are my taste buds (because bacon really tastes nice too).
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I only tried one, Slimfast. It didn't last because it tasted bad and I got hungry.

So, it was the worst, but also he best one I tried, :)
  • cherellethomas
    cherellethomas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The worst for me was the Cabbage Diet and the Lemonade Diet :#