Heavy breakfast vs. heavy dinner

Options
2»

Replies

• Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    shejuicy wrote: »
    I recently read a study in which women who had a 700/500/200 breakfast/lunch/dinner format lost noticeably more weight (2.5x more) than those eating 200/500/700 for breakfast/lunch/dinner.

Here is the abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957

I always thought I should save my calories during the day to "reward" myself with a juicy dinner/ dessert, so this is interesting.

Any experiences?

Now the consensus seems to be that whatever works best for you... ie. keeps you from overeating is what you should stick with.

I love to have a snack at night it's like a ritual and I will hold back some calories during the day so I can have that snack. My breakfast and dinner are pretty equal with lunch being a little lighter.
  • HJ1976
    HJ1976 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My mum uses the theory; breakfast like a King, lunch like a Lord, dinner like a pauper.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Depends on whenever you're hungry. It a usually around 3-5pm for me.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    That's interesting. I believe it too, because the earlier you eat the majority of calories the more time your body has to digest and burn off some of it. I wish I had even somewhat of an appetite in the morning. Getting myself to eat breakfast, even a small breakfast, is a chore most days lol. I feel better if I eat my "dinner-meal" at like lunch time, then around dinner all I really am hungry for is a snack.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    CONCLUSIONS:
    High-calorie breakfast with reduced intake at dinner is beneficial and might be a useful alternative for the management of obesity and metabolic syndrome.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    How does your body have more time to burn off breakfast than dinner? Do you die at bedtime? Because otherwise, your body is always burning fuel -- just going to sleep doesn't stop that process (and only slows it by a tiny percentage).
  • CatDeeDeeDee
    CatDeeDeeDee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those odd ducks that eat a big breakfast, a medium lunch and a very small dinner (mostly, sometimes I'll switch it up). I was raised on the saying 'Eat like a king at breakfast, a prince at lunch and a pauper at dinner' and I find that I lose weight at a much faster and easier rate when I do it this way. But it's all up to you, as other people before me have said. Thankfully, we have variety with this thing called 'eating healthy and losing weight'.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Eating a big breakfast does nothing to lessen my hunger later. So I end up eating over my calorie limit. I've been skipping breakfast, eating a light lunch and eating a big dinner. Seems to work out for me and doesn't piss off the wife thatb not eating her dinners. I've had to train myself not to eat breakfast though.