Does the fitness industry care about beginners?

Options
2»

Replies

• FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The Wii Fit is perfect for beginners :D
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. People are saying that fitness magazine workouts are often too advanced for beginners, perhaps some of them but most I have seen offer modifications. There are plenty of other magazines that offer easy routine. There are thousands of workout videos that offer low impact, beginner friendly workouts. There are C25k apps and programs galore and walking programs to get you ready for that. Gyms that cater to the "non gym crowd".
    I agree with those that say the fitness industry cares about money but there is plenty out there for beginners.
    FitnessTim wrote: »
    Another thing. Fitness should not be associated with body builders who take non-prescriptions steroids. I'm not judging but people who risk their health to artificially enhance their physique has nothing to do with fitness.

In all likelihood, most of the fitness models we see are on something. It's gotten to the point where we expect anyone dedicated to fitness to have ripped abs and huge pectoral muscles when in reality only the very elite natural bodybuilders look like that. I'm not even going to bring up what they do in Photoshop.

Achieving ripped abs is not about fitness, it's about the challenge. There were times when I was able to get my body fat down to the single digits but it was for the challenge. In that state I would be one missed meal from passing out - not healthy at all.

Bodybuilding is fun and rewarding but let's not confuse it with fitness. It's a great hobby that will help you in your fitness journey but once you get past a certain point it is more about vanity than fitness.

I'm not sure that everyone feels the same way you do. I don't believe that that is what everyone defines fit as.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    FitnessTim wrote: »
    Another thing. Fitness should not be associated with body builders who take non-prescriptions steroids. I'm not judging but people who risk their health to artificially enhance their physique has nothing to do with fitness.
    Disagree. There are lots of people out there who take PEDs (secretly) who aren't even bodybuilders and portray fitness. Lance Armstrong was one. I'm betting that any top tier athlete in competitive sports is taking something to enhance performance.
    In all likelihood, most of the fitness models we see are on something. It's gotten to the point where we expect anyone dedicated to fitness to have ripped abs and huge pectoral muscles when in reality only the very elite natural bodybuilders look like that. I'm not even going to bring up what they do in Photoshop.
    While I don't necessarily disagree, magazines at the check out rack sell. Everyone is looking for the next great thing and really it's no different than using models on race car ads to sell product.
    Achieving ripped abs is not about fitness, it's about the challenge. There were times when I was able to get my body fat down to the single digits but it was for the challenge. In that state I would be one missed meal from passing out - not healthy at all.
    Agree here.
    Bodybuilding is fun and rewarding but let's not confuse it with fitness. It's a great hobby that will help you in your fitness journey but once you get past a certain point it is more about vanity than fitness.
    Bodybuilding overall is building your body. It does take some fitness to be able to do some of the movements (especially with supersets, giant sets). But if you're thinking that just being fit is all people want, I'll bet more people are willing just to look better without having to go through fitness regimens. Hence why there are so many programs that sell in the billions for the quick fix.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The Golf industry doesn't care about beginners.

If they did care about beginners they would eliminate all holes that are par 5. The distance on these holes is intimidating. Some are over 500 yards! The average beginner can barely hit the ball a hundred yards.

If they cared about beginners they would eliminate all the sand traps. Hitting the ball out of the sand is really hard. Especially for a beginner.

If they cared about beginners they would make the ball bigger. It would be much easier to hit. They took a step in the right direction by making the over sized drivers.

Also, Golf magazines always feature some PGA player on the cover. These guy's can go out and play a round under par without much effort. This is extremely discouraging to the beginners. The magazines should feature average golfers that struggle to keep their score under 100.

If they cared about beginners they would cut down all the trees. Beginners often find themselves well off the fairway because they struggle to hit the tiny ball on a straight line. Then they are faced with the challenge of hitting around or through the trees. This is hard! This is asking way too much of a beginner. PGA pro Bubba Watson can magically bend his shots around the trees. That's great for Bubba, however it doesn't help the beginner.

Golf is hard.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »

If they did care about beginners they would eliminate all holes that are par 5. The distance on these holes is intimidating. Some are over 500 yards! The average beginner can barely hit the ball a hundred yards.

If they cared about beginners they would eliminate all the sand traps. Hitting the ball out of the sand is really hard. Especially for a beginner.

If they cared about beginners they would make the ball bigger. It would be much easier to hit. They took a step in the right direction by making the over sized drivers.

Also, Golf magazines always feature some PGA player on the cover. These guy's can go out and play a round under par without much effort. This is extremely discouraging to the beginners. The magazines should feature average golfers that struggle to keep their score under 100.

If they cared about beginners they would cut down all the trees. Beginners often find themselves well off the fairway because they struggle to hit the tiny ball on a straight line. Then they are faced with the challenge of hitting around or through the trees. This is hard! This is asking way too much of a beginner. PGA pro Bubba Watson can magically bend his shots around the trees. That's great for Bubba, however it doesn't help the beginner.

Golf is hard.

I used to play golf a lot. When I was a freshman in high school I tried out for the golf team. I kept shanking the ball into the forest and just quit that day. I kept playing around for fun but, ugh, people don't realize it is easily one of the most difficult sports. It actually is impossible to play if you are having a bad day.

• Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I really dislike the attitude of people here when they disparage the golf pro/gym pro that are put on the covers of magazines or are used to show form. Those people worked damn hard to be where they are, why don't you find them inspirational?

I think this attitude is very revealing about how you as a person will progress in your journey. Blaming those who have it easy for your current position, or accept the challenge to BE one of those inspirational people.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »

Golf is hard.

Well played, @BigGuy47‌ , well played!