Replies

• fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Hmm. What marathon?
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Back home. I guess now I need tips for recovery.
  • hmrambling
    Options
    Race results:
    z5nw0q3zclcy.png

Training schedule I used.
    c2c1yn8fen2z.jpg

Before I started using this training schedule, I ran somewhere between 3-6 miles every day. I started running in August. I strained my quad and took a month off in October. I incorporated sprints into my runs. When I strained my left quad, I did suicides without warming up. Turns out that I am not invincible.

Yesterday's 5K was my first 5K in over 20 years and today's marathon was my first ever marathon.

Last year, I joined mfp to lose weight and get fit. I started out on the elliptical machine. One day at the gym, I wondered, "Hey, what'll happen if I get on the treadmill?" I ran 4 miles. Then I wondered what would happen if I hit the pavement. My body was not used to the jolt, but I quickly adjusted. I soon started waking up early on Saturday mornings for 6 mile runs. Now here I am.

Not a troll.

The fall out.... my knees are a little sore, I have blisters on the end of my toes, and chafing on my butt crack.

What I've done for recovery so far:
    changed out of sweaty clothes and shoes after the marathon
    ate at the festival following the marathon
    stretched
    walked
    2x protein drink
    Powerade
    3x Advil
    hot bath with Jacuzzi jets
    now in bed and sore

Gear I used for the run:
    Exificio men's give & go underwear boxer brief type so I wouldn't get chafing inside thighs
    Spalding (cheap) leggings (yoga pants)
    Brooks Ghost 7 shoes
    Thorlo socks
    Fila sports bra
    Louisiana marathon shirt
    3 pony tails with my hair in a bun
    Iphone case that accommodates the otter box - I stuck energy gels in that and ended up putting the iphone UNDER the case between my skin and the case. I have some chafing there. The friction cut into the skin
    Energy gels every 45 minutes
    Drank water at every table
    Drank Powerade at every other table that offered it
    Ate 1 wedge of orange
    Nike sports watch

I probably listened to 100,000 affirmations or more. I'm not even kidding. I didn't use mapmyrun because my phone battery would have NEVER made made it that long. I have two mp3s that have thousands of affirmations and listened to those affirmations nonstop during the race.

Thursday the Commissioner of Administration gave a motivational speak that told us, "If you train, your body will not let you down." I believed her. I reminded myself of that often throughout the race.

Yesterday before the 5K, I met a woman who came to Baton Rouge from out of town who said that she might take 7 hours and that she would probably end up walking some. It occurred to me that running a marathon didn't consist of running all 26.2 miles with a full open stride.

Yesterday I ran the 5K with my niece who had not properly trained for the 5K, and showed up like it was a fashion show instead of a 5K. I had already committed to running the 5K with her despite all of my training. I spent the majority of the time encouraging her to complete the race. Probably half of that was spent running backwards because I ended up a couple of steps ahead of her and turned around to make sure she was still running. I even ran into a car while running backwards. I told her many times throughout the race that her body would not let her down, to keep going. She finished the run running with me. I didn't feel challenged by the 5K, considering that I had not run the 5K anything like I had trained for, and because I ran a good bit of it backwards. I hardly broke a sweat.

I wondered how I could put my encouragement into action. My coworkers encouraged me to run another race, and were confident I could complete either the half marathon or the marathon if I wanted. I was unsure. I asked my sister if she wanted to go to the Expo after the 5K. She did. When she got there, she couldn't find me. I was at the computer signing up for the marathon. I invited her and the kids to come to the finish line 6 hours after the start of the race, and told her that was the time that I estimated on the race registration form.

They missed my finish. I never would have dreamed that I would have finished under 6 hours. BUT the kids are now super stoked about running. They stayed with me to cheer on those folks who approached the finish line in the 7th hour. The 7th hour, guys. The freaking 7th hour. We all agreed that it is a huge accomplishment to have completed the 26.2 miles at all.

My takeaway: inspiring my niece and nephew. It never was solely for myself. I feel great knowing that I can do it. My actions backed up those words that I told my niece yesterday.

I have since forwarded my run schedule to my sister.

I registered for 2 10Ks yesterday, too.

I never said I love running. Ever.

But I love the sense of accomplishment it brings.

I still love the meanies here, too.

Hope out.

Gonna get some Zs.
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Good luck with the 10k races.
  • rjk03
    rjk03 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Way to get it done !!! Congratulations !!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

Now train better and avoid injury.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's really impressive. Congratulations, really well done.

Having said that...this is NOT to criticize you or be a "meanie," but I'm going to be honest...I would never, EVER recommend someone do what you just did. Without properly training for that kind of distance, there is too much risk of injury.
  • hmrambling
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Oooooh I am sore today. My calves and quads are pretty sore. I cancelled the appointment I had scheduled with a crossfit trainer. I was supposed to meet today but do not plan to start crossfit for at least a week.

I seriously doubt that anyone would recommend running a marathon without proper training.

I can now say that I felt challenged.
  • hmrambling
    edited July 2015
    Options

Update:

I'm that crazy girl who ran the marathon with one day of preparation. I'm glad to say that I'm actually training in advance for the 2016 marathon.

Here's my 2016 training plan: (modified Hal Higdon training plan)

tg15u7bfwd8e.jpg

In 2016, I don't plan to be out there 5 hours and 47 minutes. I plan to be properly trained for a marathon. I'm also registering for a half marathon that is on October 18.