Eating healthy gives me headaches

Options
I started eating healthier and counting calories a couple of days ago. I've noticed that I've been getting headaches often. Is it that I'm eating to little calories? Or I'm missing nutrients? Or something I'm doing wrong?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Did you stop drinking caffeine?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Less chocolate? Did you stop drinking coffee or drinking sodas? Headaches make me think of caffeine withdrawal, but you haven't really posted enough information for even this guess.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Sounds like caffeine withdrawal or just a shock to your system if you went cold turkey on sugar and your old diet. I don't know enough about food allergies, but it could be an allergic reaction. I have an ex who is allergic to chocolate and says she gets terrible headaches if she eats it.
  • lanajim
    Options
    I also had bad headaches for first 3 days. However I knew it had to be caffeine since Pepsi was my favorite drink of all time.. 3 days and it will be gone if thats the case.
  • jenfigmar
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Did you stop drinking caffeine?
    QuietBloom wrote: »
    Less chocolate? Did you stop drinking coffee or drinking sodas? Headaches make me think of caffeine withdrawal, but you haven't really posted enough information for even this guess.

Nope, never been a caffein drinker. No coffee, no soda, and I do eat chocolate, but some times. I haven't changed much the foods I eat. Just trying to eat less carbs, like pasta, bread, rand rice. And no fastfoods abd sweets. And eating less in general. I'm thiking I might be dehydrated? But the amount of water that I consume haven't changed much either. If anything I've increased water intake(just a little).
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Cutting back carbs has given me headaches. If you are cutting back carbs you need to make sure you're drinking tons of water as you are losing more water as a result.
  • jenfigmar
    Options
    Sounds like caffeine withdrawal or just a shock to your system if you went cold turkey on sugar and your old diet. I don't know enough about food allergies, but it could be an allergic reaction. I have an ex who is allergic to chocolate and says she gets terrible headaches if she eats it.
    lanajim wrote: »
    I also had bad headaches for first 3 days. However I knew it had to be caffeine since Pepsi was my favorite drink of all time.. 3 days and it will be gone if thats the case.
    Cutting back carbs has given me headaches. If you are cutting back carbs you need to make sure you're drinking tons of water as you are losing more water as a result.

Then it might be the less carbs intake(which I think was a lot more before). I'll try to drink more water too.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Open your diary?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Why cut carbs in the first place? Do you have a medical condition?
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Maybe the headaches are a coincidence; sleeping funny, that time of the month, watching too much telly, been on the internet more than usual? Often when you start a new thing, you spend a lot of time googling. That can be hard on your neck and cause tension headaches.
  • LauraSav97
    LauraSav97 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had headache problems because I wasn't drinking the correct amount of water (2.2 litres a day) and when I started eating less it meant I was losing the water that was inside the food and I got even more dehydrated than I usually was and began to get headaches. This could be your problem so just try drinking more water.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I get sick for the first week or so everytime I try to eat healthy. I consider it "dieters flu" and it lifts after a while.
  • LazyNightOwl
    LazyNightOwl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Those darn Google headaches are the worst...lol. But seriously...caffeine withdrawal headaches are no laughing matter! I took advantage of a pretty bad cold to go off the sodas. I figured since I was going to be in a horrible mood anyway may as well make it useful. OP, where are your headaches located? That could pinpoint the type (tension, sinus, etc).
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    We can't help much with your diary closed.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    jenfigmar wrote: »
    I started eating healthier and counting calories a couple of days ago. I've noticed that I've been getting headaches often. Is it that I'm eating to little calories? Or I'm missing nutrients? Or something I'm doing wrong?
    How much are you eating?

What's your daily intake? If you aren't eating enough, you could definitely be missing nutrients. If you are eating enough, then possibly yeah, that could be wrong.

Have you taken the time to determine what your intake *should* be?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Looks like everyone beat me to it, but yeah, how much are you eating? Are you eating enough?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you indeed are eating too few calories, yeah, you're prone to get headaches. Whether you're eating too few calories or not, is hard for us to decide as we don't know how much you are eating.