Eating healthy gives me headaches

Options
2»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you are eating too few carbs, it's possible to get a headache at the beginning. Another culprit could be water. When you had more food, you got more water by default (food contains water). Now that you're eating less, you are getting less water. Try to drink more. OR, it could be just a coincidence.
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Without seeing the OP's diary its all guesswork. Regarding water it could actually be the opposite, drinking too much when eating less food can take all the low sodium and electrolytes from the body which would also cause headaches. Who knows...
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Less carbs doesn't mean no carbs at all. You still need fuel.

I did the whole 'greek yoghurt for breakfast, protein lunch' thing and was crippled with headaches by the afternoon. Cut down your carb portion size, sure, easy way to lower daily calories, but don't omit them entirely.
  • jenfigmar
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    jenfigmar wrote: »
    I started eating healthier and counting calories a couple of days ago. I've noticed that I've been getting headaches often. Is it that I'm eating to little calories? Or I'm missing nutrients? Or something I'm doing wrong?

How many calories are you actually eating?
    Open your diary?

I'm sorry I thought the diary was public. I fixed it.

Thorsmom05 wrote: »
    Why cut carbs in the first place? Do you have a medical condition?

I was diagnosed pre diabetic not long ago. I have a big history of medical conditions including that. I didn't eliminated carb completely tho.
  • jenfigmar
    Options
    Those darn Google headaches are the worst...lol. But seriously...caffeine withdrawal headaches are no laughing matter! I took advantage of a pretty bad cold to go off the sodas. I figured since I was going to be in a horrible mood anyway may as well make it useful. OP, where are your headaches located? That could pinpoint the type (tension, sinus, etc).

Even though she already stated the she doesn't drink coffee or soda you're still going to go with caffeine?

Surprised there has only been 1 post asking how many calories she's eating.
    dbmata wrote: »
    I started eating healthier and counting calories a couple of days ago. I've noticed that I've been getting headaches often. Is it that I'm eating to little calories? Or I'm missing nutrients? Or something I'm doing wrong?
    How much are you eating?

What's your daily intake? If you aren't eating enough, you could definitely be missing nutrients. If you are eating enough, then possibly yeah, that could be wrong.

Have you taken the time to determine what your intake *should* be?

Yes, according to my info, to lose weight I should get from 1200-1500. I did the calculations in different pages and all said more or less the same.
    Looks like everyone beat me to it, but yeah, how much are you eating? Are you eating enough?
    If you indeed are eating too few calories, yeah, you're prone to get headaches. Whether you're eating too few calories or not, is hard for us to decide as we don't know how much you are eating.
    Without seeing the OP's diary its all guesswork. Regarding water it could actually be the opposite, drinking too much when eating less food can take all the low sodium and electrolytes from the body which would also cause headaches. Who knows...
    Emberlain wrote: »

I did the whole 'greek yoghurt for breakfast, protein lunch' thing and was crippled with headaches by the afternoon. Cut down your carb portion size, sure, easy way to lower daily calories, but don't omit them entirely.

I just opened my diary, I'm sorry I thought it already was.
  • KaylaB401
    Options
    My guess is your body is reacting to its lack of "junk" and is not happy. Keep it up and I bet you'll feel a difference real soon, especially since your diet change is still very new!

Good luck!
  • jenfigmar
    Options

KaylaB401 wrote: »
    My guess is your body is reacting to its lack of "junk" and is not happy. Keep it up and I bet you'll feel a difference real soon, especially since your diet change is still very new!

Good luck!

Thank you all! I'm gonna wait a couple of days to see how it goes. I'll try to drink the recommended amount of water for me, and maybe I'll increase a little my calorie intake. If there's still problem I'll go to my doctor. Anyway, I have to go to my dr soon to check my cholesterol and triglycerides. So if anything, she can check for other things there too.
  • jenfigmar
    Options
    Those darn Google headaches are the worst...lol. But seriously...caffeine withdrawal headaches are no laughing matter! I took advantage of a pretty bad cold to go off the sodas. I figured since I was going to be in a horrible mood anyway may as well make it useful. OP, where are your headaches located? That could pinpoint the type (tension, sinus, etc).

Even though she already stated the she doesn't drink coffee or soda you're still going to go with caffeine?

How much are you eating?

What's your daily intake? If you aren't eating enough, you could definitely be missing nutrients. If you are eating enough, then possibly yeah, that could be wrong.

Yes, according to my info, to lose weight I should get from 1200-1500. I did the calculations in different pages and all said more or less the same.
    Looks like everyone beat me to it, but yeah, how much are you eating? Are you eating enough?
    If you indeed are eating too few calories, yeah, you're prone to get headaches. Whether you're eating too few calories or not, is hard for us to decide as we don't know how much you are eating.

The only your diary really shows is that you aren't logging accurately. You have entries that are .187 cup, .33 cup, .13 cup and for things that should be weighed. You have 5 oz of salmon as 68 calories. Then most days you don't even hit 1100 calories but that isn't accurate because your entries aren't accurate. You need to track better.

Yes, because I don't have an instrument to weight food. Most of serving sizes here are in grams, I visually can't tell how much they weight so I change them to cups or tablespoons.
  • jenfigmar
    Options

How much are you eating?

The only your diary really shows is that you aren't logging accurately. You have entries that are .187 cup, .33 cup, .13 cup and for things that should be weighed. You have 5 oz of salmon as 68 calories. Then most days you don't even hit 1100 calories but that isn't accurate because your entries aren't accurate. You need to track better.

I just saw the salmon thing. All my entries are either searching on mfp or scanning barcodes. That means I can't trust mfp nutritional info. I'll have to buy the thing to weight the food then.
  • jenfigmar
    Options

How much are you eating?

I just saw the salmon thing. All my entries are either searching on mfp or scanning barcodes. That means I can't trust mfp nutritional info. I'll have to buy the thing to weight the food then.

Good move. You can get a relatively inexpensive one at Walmart or on Amazon for under 20 dollars. Make sure it's weighs things in grams and ounces.

Ok, thank you :)
  • spunmommy
    spunmommy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is my first week and I've been having dull, constant headaches. I went back over my macros and I was at about 50g of carbs on the worst days. I'm adding in a little sweet potato or some berries to each meal and it seems to be helping.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I took a peek at your diary; you have high blood pressure yet you're consuming 2300mg or more of sodium. I'm surprised your doctor didn't recommend that you lower your sodium intake to 1500mg or under. Are you checking your blood pressure every few days? That much sodium is not healthy for people with high blood pressure. Headaches are a subtle signal of hypertension.
  • jenfigmar
    Options
    trina1049 wrote: »
    I took a peek at your diary; you have high blood pressure yet you're consuming 2300mg or more of sodium. I'm surprised your doctor didn't recommend that you lower your sodium intake to 1500mg or under. Are you checking your blood pressure every few days? That much sodium is not healthy for people with high blood pressure. Headaches are a subtle signal of hypertension.

Just checked my blood pressure today. 107/81. Since my doctor prescribed my blood pressure medications(months ago) my blood pressure is always normal when she checks, and I bought a machine to take it at home which always give me normal measurements. I did think I was taking too much sodium, but since my blood pressure is fine I haven't been too worried. I do want to lower that intake, but I'm going one step at a time! Next time I go grocery shopping I'll try to buy stuff non-salt added or low sodium :)
  • trina1049
    Options
    Good job then! You're too young to have high blood pressure.
  • jenfigmar
    Options
    I know :/ I just checked and today I did better. I consumed 1260 of sodium :)
  • trina1049
    Options
    Well done! Just keep doing that every day from now on.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Are you really only drinking 2 C of water a day? I would be sick as a dog on that little liquid. 8 C is just a guide of course--larger and more active people often need more, but there aren't many people who need less.

I would NOT suggest adding more carbs--you are getting a fairly large number already for someone who is pre-diabetic. Over time, if you move away from things like white rice, crackers and bread and try to get more of your carbs from whole grains and non-starchy vegetables, you will probably feel better. A focus on lean proteins could help too. The fewer processed foods you eat, the easier it will be to keep your sodium down.

Be careful about beans--they are a great source of protein and fiber, but they are fairly high in carbs--good carbs, but still. I find that I need to be very careful about measuring and limiting more portion sizes with legumes.

The goal is to eventually get off of BP meds, right? To do that, you need to keep your sodium consumption down and stay well-hydrated, even while you are taking medication.