At my wits end, really need some advice.

Options

Replies

• Wilmakt
    Wilmakt Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi just logging in with what I have learned. I am 71 yrs old, started at 265 lbs am now at 232.6 lbs.

1. If you put all of your data into My Fitness Pal it will tell you how many calories you should eat.
    Your data must include your height, weight, and level of activity - sedentary, moderate activity, active.
    2. If you eat only those calories and exercise you will lose weight.
    3. If you eat those calories plus all the calories you have burned off exercising your weight loss will be less.
    4. You will have periods of time where you will not lose weight - I went 3 weeks with no change.
    That is your bodies way to adjust to your previous weight loss.
    It seems we ladies have bodies that need time to adjust before weight loss can continue.
    I don't know about men. It is kind of like when you read something then take time to assimilate it.
    Your body has lost weight and then takes time to tell all your body components you are ok.
    Then you will start to lose again.
    5. Once you are on maintenance you can exercise so you can eat more calories -
    but if you want to lose you don't eat those calories you burned exercising.
    EXAMPLE:
    Say you are to eat 1500 calories according to My Fitness Pal and are moderately active and you burn 500 calories exercising.
    Now if you eat only 1500 calories you and not exercise you will loose very mildly. Maybe 1/8 lb to 1/2 lb a week.
    Now if you eat only 1500 calories and burn 500 calories you may lose up to 1 1/2 lbs or more a week.
    As long as your are eating the 1500 calories you are getting all the nutrition you need - you do not have to worry about your health.
    But you will still have a week or two with no weight loss but will fine on week three and four you may loose 3 lbs. It will all even out.
    Your reasons for exercising are multiple. 1. To get healthier 2. To lose weight 3. To maintain weight while eating more (this is for maintenance only)

There will be times while you are dieting that you will exercise because you ate more - say at a dinner out and that is ok sometimes. But for regular weight loss that should not be the rule but the exception.

I do hope this helps you. I have found it to work for me quite well.

Remember when you are exercising you are not burning off vitamins, protein, and minerals, you are burning off fat. Your body will maintain the vitamins, protein, and minerals that keep you healthy.

While trying to loose do not consider exercise as a way to eat more. It is a way to lose more. Again once you are on maintenance you will find if you want to eat more than the allowed maintenance calories you will need to burn them with exercise.

Don't give up, Keep on keeping on and you will succeed.
    Wilmakt
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I don't want to get into a huge debate here because I know this is a touchy subject for a lot of people. All I'm trying to say is that OP is already netting under 1200 calories, which most people agree isn't healthy. Therefore, the people telling her to eat less are not offering good advice. So, why not try the alternative - eating more? I agree with you that there isn't science in place to back this up, but there's nothing wrong with giving it a try. Especially when there ARE so many people with personal experiences showing that it has helped them.

Do I think OP could lose weight eating 800 calories a day? Of course. That's basic math. Do I think it would be healthy to do so? Absolutely not. So let's stop recommending it to her.

I used to net 1200 or less a day and yes I was losing weight. Then I increased to 1400+ a day and I'm still losing weight - even faster than I was before! I think they key is to eat more than your BMR but less than your TDEE (and yes, this IS scientifically proven to work). Clearly OP is currently eating under her BMR. All I'm suggesting is that she increase her calories to be above that number, but still less than her TDEE, therefore allowing weight loss. This is why I linked her to the road map thread.

I don't want to insult the OP because I don't think there is purposefully misleading information provided, but the basic math says that the calories consumed are not less than those burned.

You say your rate of loss is faster at 1400+ than at 1200? So you truly believe that there is a point where you could take another bite and it cause an increase in the calorie deficit rather than a decrease? Lots of people have made the claim but no one has been able to demonstrate it under clinical scrutiny.
  • Lori3dogs67
    Lori3dogs67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was eating less then 1200 calories a day and the weight wouldn't come off. I had to up my calories to not go under 1200 with excercises and the weight starting coming off. Just make sure they are good calories and you should be fine.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I don't want to get into a huge debate here because I know this is a touchy subject for a lot of people. All I'm trying to say is that OP is already netting under 1200 calories, which most people agree isn't healthy. Therefore, the people telling her to eat less are not offering good advice. So, why not try the alternative - eating more? I agree with you that there isn't science in place to back this up, but there's nothing wrong with giving it a try. Especially when there ARE so many people with personal experiences showing that it has helped them.

Do I think OP could lose weight eating 800 calories a day? Of course. That's basic math. Do I think it would be healthy to do so? Absolutely not. So let's stop recommending it to her.

I used to net 1200 or less a day and yes I was losing weight. Then I increased to 1400+ a day and I'm still losing weight - even faster than I was before! I think they key is to eat more than your BMR but less than your TDEE (and yes, this IS scientifically proven to work). Clearly OP is currently eating under her BMR. All I'm suggesting is that she increase her calories to be above that number, but still less than her TDEE, therefore allowing weight loss. This is why I linked her to the road map thread.

I don't want to insult the OP because I don't think there is purposefully misleading information provided, but the basic math says that the calories consumed are not less than those burned.

You say your rate of loss is faster at 1400+ than at 1200? So you truly believe that there is a point where you could take another bite and it cause an increase in the calorie deficit rather than a decrease? Lots of people have made the claim but no one has been able to demonstrate it under clinical scrutiny.

You're right, this hasn't been demonstrated clinically or scientifically. And of course I don't believe there's a point like that. I'm not going to pretend to be able to explain this, because mathematically it doesn't make sense. I never said it does.

All I know is that I am now eating 250+ calories more than I used to, and I'm losing weight at the same rate or even more quickly. And yes, I tracked everything CAREFULLY the whole time. I'm definitely eating more now. That's the truth, take it or leave it. You can decide not to believe me, you can say I must have miscalculated, you can say it doesn't make any sense - that's your choice. That's not going to stop me from recommending it to the OP, knowing that it has worked for me and many others (like the person who just posted above me).

We could debate this all day but I won't. Let the OP make her own decision with the information provided.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options

You're right, this hasn't been demonstrated clinically or scientifically. And of course I don't believe there's a point like that. I'm not going to pretend to be able to explain this, because mathematically it doesn't make sense. I never said it does.

All I know is that I am now eating 250+ calories more than I used to, and I'm losing weight at the same rate or even more quickly. And yes, I tracked everything CAREFULLY the whole time. I'm definitely eating more now. That's the truth, take it or leave it. You can decide not to believe me, you can say I must have miscalculated, you can say it doesn't make any sense - that's your choice. That's not going to stop me from recommending it to the OP, knowing that it has worked for me and many others (like the person who just posted above me).

We could debate this all day but I won't. Let the OP make her own decision with the information provided.

I had a very similar experience. I felt stalled and frustrated and was netting 1200 calories a day. Now I have increased to 1600 and more recently joined the gym and had my stats calculated properly. With a BMR of 1430 (minimum calories requirement per day) it is no surprise that my body was trying to maintain weight. Realistically, I should have weighed 30kilos if it is as simple as the above posts say. More people struggling with anorexia and eating 700calories a day should not have survived (I am glad they have/did/are surviving) and so on. It is with this extreme you can see how there is some truth in what myself and LaurenAOK are saying.

Can someone link the 'in place of a roadmap' thread please, ASAP? not sure where it is.

Cheers
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Can someone link the 'in place of a roadmap' thread please, ASAP? not sure where it is.

Cheers

I linked it in another post but here it is again! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Here's my take on the matter, FWIW: Metabolic science is still in its infancy. We know a lot about how to lose weight, but there is a lot more that we don't know, especially in the community of individuals who go from a heavy weight down to a lean one. They are metabolically different than people who have never been that big. Because there is such an absolute dearth of information, an over abundance of pseudo scientific mumbo jumbo has risen up from all corners of our society to take its place (and claim the brass ring that comes with supplying bad information.) I think that's why we all have such varying opinions on how to do this and keep it off.

OP, one thing I would suggest: import a couple of days of your food journal and make it public so we can help you in a more targeted manner. It isn't just a matter of calories in vs. calories out because - and this is something for which there actually is an abundance of academic literature - not all calories interact with your body in the same fashion. While it's true that all the calories you eat will be eventually converted to glucose in your liver, eating too much refined sugar and processed food can cause blood glucose to spike. Even if you are exercising as much as you say, these kinds of spikes can do a real number on your liver's ability to metabolize food. Furthermore, if your muscle tissue can't use all the glucose in your blood it eventually gets stored as fat, which could lead to a lot of frustration if you're trying to lose weight. Have you been checked out for insulin resistance? IR can make it very difficult to lose weight, even when it seems like you're doing everything else correctly...and it's incredibly common in women. Just a thought.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Cheers

I linked it in another post but here it is again! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

thank you! thought it would be good for OP, should have looked closer - didn't realise you already posted :laugh:
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    No study has ever found a point at which anyone loses more by eating more. It becomes less efficient to reduce intake at some point (removing 10 more calories might only add 7 to the deficit as metabolism slows) but it never starts going the other way. NEVER.

Thank you! I've been pretty sure that Eat more/Weigh less is bro-science, espoused mainly by highly energetic men (and some women) in their early 20s. If it worked that way for everyone, MFP would be a lonely place.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    No study has ever found a point at which anyone loses more by eating more. It becomes less efficient to reduce intake at some point (removing 10 more calories might only add 7 to the deficit as metabolism slows) but it never starts going the other way. NEVER.
    I was eating at 2000 and losing around 1 and a half pounds to 2 pounds a week right up till I lost around 28 pounds, I then stalled for a week completely, upped my calories to 2600 and lost another 4 pounds in the following 3 weeks. There are several posts a day of people saying they can't lose weight while eating 1200 calories and I have seen many posts of people saying they stalled and then started losing again when they upped their calories by 400-800.
  • kaylather
    kaylather Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Are you still losing inches? It could just be that you're building muscle. I would try lowering your calories, but still eating full healthy meals! I also attened those same classes and I dont think you should stop! Like you said, they are made so it challenges you differently every time.

Remember that getting a good sleep every night is a important part of a healthy life style ;)

Good luck! :)
  • alyhuggan
    Options
    Are you still losing inches? It could just be that you're building muscle. I would try lowering your calories, but still eating full healthy meals! I also attened those same classes and I dont think you should stop! Like you said, they are made so it challenges you differently every time.

Remember that getting a good sleep every night is a important part of a healthy life style ;)

Good luck! :)
    At a deficit that is impossible, they cannot build muscle on 1100 calories, most people wouldn't be able to build muscle on less than 2500 calories.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I was eating at 2000 and losing around 1 and a half pounds to 2 pounds a week right up till I lost around 28 pounds, I then stalled for a week completely, upped my calories to 2600 and lost another 4 pounds in the following 3 weeks. There are several posts a day of people saying they can't lose weight while eating 1200 calories and I have seen many posts of people saying they stalled and then started losing again when they upped their calories by 400-800.

And you are an 18 year old young man! Please don't confuse yourself with everybody else here. Women cannot eat as much as you. Older men cannot eat as much. Older women, even less. Almost no one can eat as much as an 18YO male! If I ate 2400 cals a day I'd be gaining 5 pounds a week.
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Ashleyxjamie Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    How can you gain 5 pounds a week if you eat 2400? if you eat that much depending on your weight and height, and if you exercise, you will still have a deficit. my TDEE shows I can eat 2600 to maintain my weight or 2077 to lose one pound a week. I've been eating around 1800-2000 a day and working my butt off and it's working for me!
  • alyhuggan
    Options
    And you are an 18 year old young man! Please don't confuse yourself with everybody else here. Women cannot eat as much as you. Older men cannot eat as much. Older women, even less. Almost no one can eat as much as an 18YO male! If I ate 2400 cals a day I'd be gaining 5 pounds a week.
    I calculated the TDEE of a 40 year old woman with the same weight and exercise as the OP, their TDEE is 2430 meaning to lose weight they should NOT go under 1400 calories as this is already 2 pounds a week, the OP is in a deficit of 1230 already and contemplating going in more of a deficit, nearing the loss of 3lb a week which isn't healthy, plus trying to get all your nutrients in with 1200 calories would be difficult. If the weight loss has stalled I would recommend trying to lose a pound a week, meaning eating 1930 calories a dayish and continuing with the exercise.
  • alyhuggan
    Options
    How can you gain 5 pounds a week if you eat 2400? if you eat that much depending on your weight and height, and if you exercise, you will still have a deficit. my TDEE shows I can eat 2600 to maintain my weight or 2077 to lose one pound a week. I've been eating around 1800-2000 a day and working my butt off and it's working for me!
    ^ Thank you for speaking some sense! :flowerforyou: it would take a surplus of 2500 calories a day to gain that kind of weight which for a female would be around 5000ish calories every day after exercise...
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

It's apparent you don't understand the "eat more to weight less" idea. The point is to individualize your calorie goal so that you eat enough so that you are at a smaller deficit rather than a huge deficit. No one is saying everyone should eat 2600 calories. They're saying eating 20% below your TDEE, whatever that number may be. If you are a 50 year old woman, clearly your TDEE will be lower and therefore your "eating more" will still be a smaller number. Calculators adjust by age, height, weight, gender, and whatever activity level you have.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

There are also several saying its not so and offering experience in the other direction. The assertion you make is only supported by unproven internet postings. The other position in the debate has unproven internet postings also and has science and studies to back it up. For some reason, every time one of these people who says they will gain weight or stall at a lower calorie intake is placed in a clinical environment and every calorie of food eaten and effort expended is recorded it doesn't happen.

I have made some of my friends who are "trying" to lose weight upset when they asked me what is working so well for me this time (I have had failed attempts to lose in the past). I tell them the truth - this time I am really doing what I say I am doing. When I cut out snacks I really cut them out; I have none at all. This time whenever I go out to get some exercise I run for miles (lately it is usually 5 or more) and I do this 3 times a week. I do some dumb bell work every day. I look them in the eye and say that every plan I have tried in the past would have worked if I were this faithful to it. They often infer correctly that I am also saying that they are not really doing what they say they are doing.

People are more likely to stick to a plan if it is easy; I get that. A smaller deficit is easier. Pretending it is somehow better through mumbo jumbo bro-science rubs me the wrong way.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

The poster who posted that is 61 yo, you are 25. BIG difference. Maybe 5 lbs a week is exaggerated, but age makes a difference. Just wait. You'll see.
  • randomgirlusa
    randomgirlusa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Here's food for thought:

If you over-eat 20 calories a day, you will gain 2 pounds in one year.

If you over-eat 20 calories a day, you will gain 50 pounds in 25 years.

...... How easy it might be to under or over estimate your calorie intake when you take a few things into consideration...

1) When they say 1 cup of lettuce = XX calories.... do you ever wonder if they placed the lettuce in the cup loosely or packed it in as tightly as possible? The volume is different either way, even though you've used a real measuring cup.

2) Unless you are using a heart rate monitor and an accurate formula .... do you ever wonder if you're burning more or less calories?
    And while we're questioning it... there are other factors to consider when trying to lose weight.

1) What about hormones? What if you are insulin resistant and don't know it? What about cortisol? You know the hormone that increases when you're stressed and makes you gain weight whenever you so much as look at food. (Not really, but if you're super stressed then it just makes losing weight that much more difficult).

2) What about sleep?

It seems like you need to be a nutritional expert/chemist/biologist/crazy mad scientist to really know what's going on inside your body. Doctors go to school for years and years to study the human body and they still haven't figured it out.

I don't know the answers, but I think it's interesting that so many people think they do. Just an observation. Good luck and I hope you find the "right" answer soon.