1100 a day, should I eat less

Options
hello. I'm 5 ft 4 inches and weight 109 lbs. I am eating almost exactly 1,100 calories a day and I dance for at least 2hours everyday but Sunday. I need to be at least 103 lbs or less in a month and right now I'm not losing anything. Should I eat less? I my have to.

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    No. This is also bordering (if not already at) ED mentality. I suggest you deactivate your account and talk to a medical doctor about your psychological weight issues.
  • bigdancer2000
    Options
    I might mention I'm a serous ballet dancer and I have no option
  • bigdancer2000
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Why is your goal to be underweight? No one should give you advice on how to do this.

Weight standards for normal people is different than for ballet dancers. This is not considered underweight for ballerinas
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

My sister is on the United States Dance Team and she has never been forced to lose weight.

I think it's time to find a new dance studio.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Why is your goal to be underweight? No one should give you advice on how to do this.

Weight standards for normal people is different than for ballet dancers. This is not considered underweight for ballerinas

No, it isn't.

And yes, it is underweight.

Also, if the 2000 in your username represents the year you were born (meaning you are only 15 years old), you should not be here on MFP. MFP is for individuals who are 18 and older.

• bigdancer2000
    bigdancer2000 Posts: 31
    edited January 2015
    Options

My sister is on the United States Dance Team and she has never been forced to lose weight.

I have auditioned, been accepted to, and currently train at one of the top ballet academies in the United States

& the number 2000 means nothing. It is was under the suggestions because my original name was taken
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

I have auditioned, been accepted to, and currently train at one of the top ballet academies in the United States

Who is forcing you to lose weight? And how old are you?
  • bigdancer2000
    Options

I turned 18 on Nov. 26th. And my teachers have suggested it and it will show on my scores from the evaluations they give me in a month.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options

& the number 2000 means nothing. It is was under the suggestions because my original name was taken

Girl if you are being forced to lose weight then you need to leave, I don't care if they are the most amazing dance studio in the universe that is abuse, if you really seem like a minor here, this kind of behavior will lead to a very poor relationship with food.

BTW, the threshold for being underweight isn't dependent on your lifestyle & being underweight can lead to severe health complications. Eating less than around 1200kcal per day makes it extremely difficult to get essential micro-nutrients & the body will start to consume itself, damaging internal organs & connective tissues.

Get off this site, see a doctor - talk to them about this, talk to your parents/teachers/doctor about the demands your ballet instructors are putting on you. It is unsafe.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited January 2015
    Options

I turned 18 on Nov. 26th. And my teachers have suggested it and it will show on my scores from the evaluations they give me in a month.

So your teachers are advocating for being underweight? Are you aware of the dangers of under-eating?

I'll list a couple...

Weakness
    Dizziness
    Fainting
    Deficiency in essential vitamins
    Low blood pressure
    Difficulty focusing
    Fatigue

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Underweight is underweight. It doesn't matter if your a ballerina or not. Being underweight carries a lot of health risks and being a ballerina doesn't exempt you from them.
  • CloudyMao
    Options

Just all wrong, completely wrong. Weight standards are standard for human beings.
    Ballerinas are underweight if they become underweight, just like everyone else - you have a body that has a level of health that is put at risk if you are under a certain weight.
  • bigdancer2000
    Options

So your teachers are advocating for being underweight? Are you aware of the dangers of under-eating?

Weakness
    Dizziness
    Fainting
    Low blood pressure
    Difficulty focusing

More like hopefully suggesting. I am fully aware. Am I am conscious on keeping myself healthy enough to pursue dance
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Weakness
    Dizziness
    Fainting
    Low blood pressure
    Difficulty focusing

More like hopefully suggesting. I am fully aware. Am I am conscious on keeping myself healthy enough to pursue dance

You need to speak to your parents about this. What your teachers are doing is unethical and could result in various legal matters.

If you want to keep yourself healthy, you should be eating closer to 2000+ calories a day and NOT trying to lose weight.
  • CloudyMao
    Options

Weakness
    Dizziness
    Fainting
    Low blood pressure
    Difficulty focusing

Look you are clearly ignoring the risks here.
    Whatever, no-one here is going to tell you what you want to hear.

You need to eat more, you are putting yourself and your dancing career at risk.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have already made your mind up no matter what anyone here says
  • steebsthegreat
    steebsthegreat Posts: 70 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Please get help. I danced growing up and I quit in middle school because of this disturbing mentality of many of the people I worked with (and I wasn't even that serious of a dancer!). And some of the problems I had with food are still with me even in my 20's (which I attribute to my years of being "encouraged" to lose weight).
    Eating less than 1200 calories a day puts your body into starvation mode. Your body starts grabbing on to each and every calorie it possibly can. You will become malnourished, your body will become weak, and I promise your dancing will actually suffer because your body will start breaking down muscle to compensate.
    And since you dance so often, you should actually be consuming more calories to make up for what your body is burning with so much activity.

Please seek help.
    And don't let people destroy you, even if you think they know what's best.
  • bigdancer2000
    bigdancer2000 Posts: 31
    edited January 2015
    Options

Weakness
    Dizziness
    Fainting
    Low blood pressure
    Difficulty focusing

You need to speak to your parents about this. What your teachers are doing is unethical and could result in various legal matters.

If you want to keep yourself healthy, you should be eating closer to 2000+ calories a day and NOT trying to lose weight.

I will talk to the nutritionist they provide

• Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Please don't lose any more weight. Losing more weight will NOT make you a better dancer. I don't buy that "there's a different standard for ballerinas" crap. No, there isn't. What they are doing is telling you your body isn't ok the way it is and you are already borderline underweight as it is. That is totally irresponsible and mysogynistic. Dont ever let them tell you that you are not thin enough.
This discussion has been closed.