1100 a day, should I eat less

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Why is your goal to be underweight? No one should give you advice on how to do this.

Weight standards for normal people is different than for ballet dancers. This is not considered underweight for ballerinas

It's not considered underweight by dancers or even their instructors. It's considered underweight by medical people, though.

The ballet world is fraught with women who have eating disorders and take drugs. When I first started learning about eating disorders (from people, not books), I went to the dancers because I knew some of them and I hoped they'd trust me enough to know I'd keep their secrets and that they'd care enough to tell me things that might help others. Most did.

Lord, God, did I learn a lot about ballet dancers and the crazy, messed-up world they inhabit. I get that you - and they - have to dance, it's in your blood, that's all you ever dreamed of, you will not be stopped, blah, blah, blah. I'm not even going to attempt to argue.

Those weights aren't very healthy, though. If you must be crazy enough to undereat (which you shouldn't!), at least see a doctor regularly and be checked for things that can go wrong when you undereat. Let them help you be the healthiest you can be.

If you haven't started on the drugs yet, do everything you can to stay off of them.

Dancing - I know it's what you live to do - it's not worth your health. When you see boxers getting punched and you see them later in life, all punch drunk, don't you think, "Winning wasn't worth that life!" You must. We all do. That's how everyone sees the dancers - everyone who knows what so many of them are doing. It's not worth it! (Okay, I said I wouldn't try to talk you out of it and I did. Sorry. Can't help myself.)

Don't start with the drugs. Everything that goes in should be HEALTHY! No booze, no candy, no junk. If you're under eating, AT LEAST put in good things. And no drugs! (You may be thinking, "Oh, I'd never!" but ha. So many dancers do - they didn't plan on it, either.)

See a doctor on a regular basis.

Take care.
  • LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    I pulled my daughter out of competition dance for this reason alone. I DO understand what you are saying @bigdancer2000 - but you have to remember - NO performance, NO ballet company is worth your health and your life. The mental and physical toll that is placed on young bodies for that level is astonishing. Be smart - you need a MINIMUM of 1200 calories a day. And ANY nutritionist worth his/her salt is going to tell you that... good luck. Take care of yourself.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft 4 inches and weight (sic) 109 lbs. I am eating almost exactly 1,100 calories a day and I dance for at least 2 hours everyday (sic) but Sunday. I need to be at least 103 lbs or less in a month and right now I'm not losing anything. Should I eat less? I my have to.
    At your height, a healthy weight range would be 110 - 140.
    http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
    So you're already underweight.
    No, you do not need to eat less, and no, you should not try to lose weight. 6 lb is not going to make much of a difference to your appearance or movement.
    I don't care what the culture around ballerinas is, that's unhealthy. Even if everyone else is anorexic, that doesn't mean you have to be too.

And the only people for whom losing 6 lb in a month makes sense are those who are seriously overweight, like maybe 60 lb or more. I've done it, but I started with 110 lb to lose.

Harvard Medical School says that people who are active at least 30 minutes per day need about 15 calories per pound to maintain weight. For your lowest healthy weight, that would be 1650.

No, you do not need to lose weight, and no, you should not be eating less.
    (And no, nobody here is going to encourage you to be dangerously underweight or eating too little.)
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I think the fiber might actually make you bloat?

Yes I wasn't quite clear on that, I was trying to suggest swapping high fiber foods (as they retain water) for other foods. In the short term it reduces some bloating, but it's not suitable for long term - it'd help drop a few lbs before having to do any qualifiers or anything.

There has been so many horror stories when it comes to ballet & the pressures of weight & ED development, I honestly thought all this bother was just 'back in my day' & that this kind of attitude from tutors had been stamped out. No-one ever should make you feel like you are not good enough.
  • bigdancer2000
    Options
    CloudyMao wrote: »
    I might mention I'm a serous ballet dancer and I have no option

My sister is on the United States Dance Team and she has never been forced to lose weight.

I think it's time to find a new dance studio.

I have auditioned, been accepted to, and currently train at one of the top ballet academies in the United States

Who is forcing you to lose weight? And how old are you?

I turned 18 on Nov. 26th. And my teachers have suggested it and it will show on my scores from the evaluations they give me in a month.

So your teachers are advocating for being underweight? Are you aware of the dangers of under-eating?

Weakness
    Dizziness
    Fainting
    Deficiency in essential vitamins
    Low blood pressure
    Difficulty focusing

More like hopefully suggesting. I am fully aware. Am I am conscious on keeping myself healthy enough to pursue dance

You need to speak to your parents about this. What your teachers are doing is unethical and could result in various legal matters.

If you want to keep yourself healthy, you should be eating closer to 2000+ calories a day and NOT trying to lose weight.

I will talk to the nutritionist they provide

I'm a qualified nutritionist.

If you want to continue putting yourself at risk then it's up to you to sort out your priorities. You have the facts in front of you, continuing in this manner will put your long term health at risk, and your dancing will certainly suffer. IF YOU WANT TO HAVE A HEALTHY BODY & a healthy relationship with food then we on the forums can help you, but if you really want to continue ignoring the risks, then we will keep reminding you of them.

Bottom line, what you're doing is bad for you.

It is comforting to know you are a nutritionist. Maybe you could help get me on the right track since I'm clearly lost.

Well right from the off I would strongly suggest confronting anyone who tells you or implied that you need to lose weight. You are clearly passionate about ballet, having got into a good academy & you want to ensure you're at your absolute healthiest - the best way to ensure that is to maintain energy, by eating way closer or over 2000kcal depending on your activity levels. I would also suggest not seeing their nutritionist, but to speak to your GP, and ask if they could refer you to a dietician or nutritionist - this will remove any possible bias on the academy's behalf.

The most important thing to maintain is your own health, it will ensure you have a long term career in dance.

How should I approach them? I live in the dorms at this academy so any doctor I see will be through the ballet. They make the appointments and they take you. So I hope I can contact you for further advice.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I respect your feedback. In my own little world of ballet, my view in this discussion was totally normal. I was curious if I was doing something wrong & apparently I am. I will try to seek resources for help.

And that is why my daughters will never be in ballet.

If by help you mean a professional, then please do so.

• CloudyMao
    Options

My sister is on the United States Dance Team and she has never been forced to lose weight.

I have auditioned, been accepted to, and currently train at one of the top ballet academies in the United States

I turned 18 on Nov. 26th. And my teachers have suggested it and it will show on my scores from the evaluations they give me in a month.

So your teachers are advocating for being underweight? Are you aware of the dangers of under-eating?

Weakness
    Dizziness
    Fainting
    Low blood pressure
    Difficulty focusing

More like hopefully suggesting. I am fully aware. Am I am conscious on keeping myself healthy enough to pursue dance

You need to speak to your parents about this. What your teachers are doing is unethical and could result in various legal matters.

If you want to keep yourself healthy, you should be eating closer to 2000+ calories a day and NOT trying to lose weight.

If you want to continue putting yourself at risk then it's up to you to sort out your priorities. You have the facts in front of you, continuing in this manner will put your long term health at risk, and your dancing will certainly suffer. IF YOU WANT TO HAVE A HEALTHY BODY & a healthy relationship with food then we on the forums can help you, but if you really want to continue ignoring the risks, then we will keep reminding you of them.

It is comforting to know you are a nutritionist. Maybe you could help get me on the right track since I'm clearly lost.

Well right from the off I would strongly suggest confronting anyone who tells you or implied that you need to lose weight. You are clearly passionate about ballet, having got into a good academy & you want to ensure you're at your absolute healthiest - the best way to ensure that is to maintain energy, by eating way closer or over 2000kcal depending on your activity levels. I would also suggest not seeing their nutritionist, but to speak to your GP, and ask if they could refer you to a dietician or nutritionist - this will remove any possible bias on the academy's behalf.

The most important thing to maintain is your own health, it will ensure you have a long term career in dance.

How should I approach them? I live in the dorms at this academy so any doctor I see will be through the ballet. They make the appointments and they take you. So I hope I can contact you for further advice.

You can message me anytime you want to, I log on pretty much everyday.

That sounds... isolating, and not just a little totalitarian. Honestly that's quite scary. I think mainly that if someone were to suggest you lose weight that you point out that you are actually underweight & need to maintain lean muscle so that you can perform well.
  • bigdancer2000
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Why is your goal to be underweight? No one should give you advice on how to do this.

Weight standards for normal people is different than for ballet dancers. This is not considered underweight for ballerinas

It's not considered underweight by dancers or even their instructors. It's considered underweight by medical people, though.

The ballet world is fraught with women who have eating disorders and take drugs. When I first started learning about eating disorders (from people, not books), I went to the dancers because I knew some of them and I hoped they'd trust me enough to know I'd keep their secrets and that they'd care enough to tell me things that might help others. Most did.

Lord, God, did I learn a lot about ballet dancers and the crazy, messed-up world they inhabit. I get that you - and they - have to dance, it's in your blood, that's all you ever dreamed of, you will not be stopped, blah, blah, blah. I'm not even going to attempt to argue.

Those weights aren't very healthy, though. If you must be crazy enough to undereat (which you shouldn't!), at least see a doctor regularly and be checked for things that can go wrong when you undereat. Let them help you be the healthiest you can be.

If you haven't started on the drugs yet, do everything you can to stay off of them.

Dancing - I know it's what you live to do - it's not worth your health. When you see boxers getting punched and you see them later in life, all punch drunk, don't you think, "Winning wasn't worth that life!" You must. We all do. That's how everyone sees the dancers - everyone who knows what so many of them are doing. It's not worth it! (Okay, I said I wouldn't try to talk you out of it and I did. Sorry. Can't help myself.)

Don't start with the drugs. Everything that goes in should be HEALTHY! No booze, no candy, no junk. If you're under eating, AT LEAST put in good things. And no drugs! (You may be thinking, "Oh, I'd never!" but ha. So many dancers do - they didn't plan on it, either.)

Take care.

I haven't tried any drugs and don't plan on it. Some of my friends take Zantex. Opinions?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Take care.

I haven't tried any drugs and don't plan on it. Some of my friends take Zantex. Opinions?

I am extremely concerned for your wellbeing.

• candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere in an article a while back that most "dancers" use to be thicker until ballet became popular and then the whole being a thin dancer became popular across many styles of dance. It wasn't always about promoting a small stature although now it is. I was a softball gal and a swimmer in high school so I don't really know about the pressure to be thin but I do know that dancing takes strength. And eating that few calories will only cause your body to essentially start eating its own muscle to compensate. That will cause you to lose strength and stamina and will also result in fatigue and weakness.

I am glad you are talented enough to be accepted into prestigious schools but consider this- your body has to carry you well past your ballet career. It is much more important that you treat it well than you listen to the dolts who are telling you to starve yourself in order to obtain an unachievable goal. Undereating is just as dangerous as overeating.
  • bigdancer2000
    Options
    I think the fiber might actually make you bloat?

Yes I wasn't quite clear on that, I was trying to suggest swapping high fiber foods (as they retain water) for other foods. In the short term it reduces some bloating, but it's not suitable for long term - it'd help drop a few lbs before having to do any qualifiers or anything.

There has been so many horror stories when it comes to ballet & the pressures of weight & ED development, I honestly thought all this bother was just 'back in my day' & that this kind of attitude from tutors had been stamped out. No-one ever should make you feel like you are not good enough.

So to reduce bloating? What should I do. And thank you I will definitely message you at a later date.
  • CloudyMao
    Options

Take care.

Well they would be taking it to treat stomach ulcers. I'm actually quite concerned, not just for your health but the health of anyone under the care of this academy.
  • candacefausset
    Options

Weakness
    Dizziness
    Fainting
    Low blood pressure
    Difficulty focusing

You are 18, right? Legally, they cannot make you see any doctor you do not want to. And you don't have to tell them you are going to one either.
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Working in an ER, I see so many young adults who are ruining their bodies with drugs and alcohol. I find it just as heartbreaking to hear of a young adult, especially one who is very talented, ruining her body with poor nutrition. Please, please, please take the advice of those on here and speak to a medical professional.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Take care.

Well they would be taking it to treat stomach ulcers. I'm actually quite concerned, not just for your health but the health of anyone under the care of this academy.

I don't think she is talking about Zantac. I think she is talking about Xanax but has the spelling wrong… Which is why I'm extremely concerned and as someone who is a mandated reporter by law, I am at the point where I want to know the name of this ballet school :neutral_face:
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    How should I approach them? I live in the dorms at this academy so any doctor I see will be through the ballet. They make the appointments and they take you.
    Contact your parents, or your home doctor, or look up one that's nearby &/or relatively inexpensive to get a complete physical & discuss healthy eating / weight. Maybe a city health clinic, or one with a sliding scale that is for low-income people, or a clinic at a medical school?

Anything connected with your school is suspect, especially if they're riding you that closely & forcing you to use the people they pay for. I'd worry that the doctor would break confidentiality & discuss your health with someone from the school, maybe that you would be forced to agree to that or they wouldn't let you see the doctor. (And of course, they're likely to take you to someone who will support their unhealthy viewpoint.) Read the paperwork _very_ carefully, and don't sign it unless you understand it & agree to it. You do not have to allow the doctor to talk to people at the school about you. You have a right to medical privacy.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Honey I understand that the pressure is tremendous but it's just not a good idea to eat any less. Whomever suggested this idea is completely asinine. If you decided to under eat and lose more weight, your taking a huge risk..you will end up ill and then won't be able to dance at all anyway. It's not worth the risk. Your young and are active so that 1100 isn't nearly enough to begin with, going any lower is dangerous. Please talk with a parent or trusted adult like school counselor, or religious leader about this issue. A nutritionist would be a great idea! I hope you take this seriously as your putting yourself at a dangerous risk that isn't worth it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Take care.

See your own doctor - not just the doctor they send you to see. If he says you need something for GERD, of course you should take it. But if it's to help you starve, my inclination is to say, "Quit Starving" and see if the doctor doesn't take you off of it.

If you meant Xanax (a ton of people confuse drugs)...I don't know! If you need it to dance, my inclination would be to say, "Stop dancing!"

But I can't advise you medically except to say that you should see a doctor - your OWN doctor, not theirs. If you aren't sure about his suggestions, see a second doctor for a second opinion, not me or anyone else on the Internet.

Be careful. You're playing with fire and you may end up badly burned and regretting your decisions. Be so very careful.
  • bigdancer2000
    Options

Weakness
    Dizziness
    Fainting
    Low blood pressure
    Difficulty focusing

You are 18, right? Legally, they cannot make you see any doctor you do not want to. And you don't have to tell them you are going to one either.

Yes. I just fear they would be mad if they found out I went to an outside doctor. I did this when I had foot surgery and they weren't too happy after.

• candacefausset
    Options
    What academy is this that is so strict that they are acting as guardian to you? If you approach them about your concerns and they threaten you in any way, make sure and document everything and go to the media with it. In fact, I would document everything now, just in case.
This discussion has been closed.