1100 a day, should I eat less

Options

Replies

• bigdancer2000
    Options
    CloudyMao wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Why is your goal to be underweight? No one should give you advice on how to do this.

Weight standards for normal people is different than for ballet dancers. This is not considered underweight for ballerinas

It's not considered underweight by dancers or even their instructors. It's considered underweight by medical people, though.

The ballet world is fraught with women who have eating disorders and take drugs. When I first started learning about eating disorders (from people, not books), I went to the dancers because I knew some of them and I hoped they'd trust me enough to know I'd keep their secrets and that they'd care enough to tell me things that might help others. Most did.

Lord, God, did I learn a lot about ballet dancers and the crazy, messed-up world they inhabit. I get that you - and they - have to dance, it's in your blood, that's all you ever dreamed of, you will not be stopped, blah, blah, blah. I'm not even going to attempt to argue.

Those weights aren't very healthy, though. If you must be crazy enough to undereat (which you shouldn't!), at least see a doctor regularly and be checked for things that can go wrong when you undereat. Let them help you be the healthiest you can be.

If you haven't started on the drugs yet, do everything you can to stay off of them.

Dancing - I know it's what you live to do - it's not worth your health. When you see boxers getting punched and you see them later in life, all punch drunk, don't you think, "Winning wasn't worth that life!" You must. We all do. That's how everyone sees the dancers - everyone who knows what so many of them are doing. It's not worth it! (Okay, I said I wouldn't try to talk you out of it and I did. Sorry. Can't help myself.)

Don't start with the drugs. Everything that goes in should be HEALTHY! No booze, no candy, no junk. If you're under eating, AT LEAST put in good things. And no drugs! (You may be thinking, "Oh, I'd never!" but ha. So many dancers do - they didn't plan on it, either.)

See a doctor on a regular basis.

Take care.

I haven't tried any drugs and don't plan on it. Some of my friends take Zantex. Opinions?

Well they would be taking it to treat stomach ulcers. I'm actually quite concerned, not just for your health but the health of anyone under the care of this academy.

I don't think she is talking about Zantac. I think she is talking about Xanax but has the spelling wrong… Which is why I'm extremely concerned and as someone who is a mandated reporter by law, I am at the point where I want to know the name of this ballet school :neutral_face:

No it is actually spelled Zantrex. They sell it at wallgreens.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I think the fiber might actually make you bloat?

Yes I wasn't quite clear on that, I was trying to suggest swapping high fiber foods (as they retain water) for other foods. In the short term it reduces some bloating, but it's not suitable for long term - it'd help drop a few lbs before having to do any qualifiers or anything.

There has been so many horror stories when it comes to ballet & the pressures of weight & ED development, I honestly thought all this bother was just 'back in my day' & that this kind of attitude from tutors had been stamped out. No-one ever should make you feel like you are not good enough.

So to reduce bloating? What should I do. And thank you I will definitely message you at a later date.

Eat plenty of foods high in water, drink lots of water, avoid high sodium foods, eat less high starch style foods (root vegetables) & replace them with less starchy foods (leaves like spinach or kale). Avoid high intensity exercise or more exercise than usual, use lots of herbs in your food instead of salt. Eat a ton of fruit - it's very low sodium & mostly very high in water. Remember there's nothing wrong with high sodium veggies & water retention isn't a bad thing.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Why is your goal to be underweight? No one should give you advice on how to do this.

Weight standards for normal people is different than for ballet dancers. This is not considered underweight for ballerinas

It's not considered underweight by dancers or even their instructors. It's considered underweight by medical people, though.

The ballet world is fraught with women who have eating disorders and take drugs. When I first started learning about eating disorders (from people, not books), I went to the dancers because I knew some of them and I hoped they'd trust me enough to know I'd keep their secrets and that they'd care enough to tell me things that might help others. Most did.

Lord, God, did I learn a lot about ballet dancers and the crazy, messed-up world they inhabit. I get that you - and they - have to dance, it's in your blood, that's all you ever dreamed of, you will not be stopped, blah, blah, blah. I'm not even going to attempt to argue.

Those weights aren't very healthy, though. If you must be crazy enough to undereat (which you shouldn't!), at least see a doctor regularly and be checked for things that can go wrong when you undereat. Let them help you be the healthiest you can be.

If you haven't started on the drugs yet, do everything you can to stay off of them.

Dancing - I know it's what you live to do - it's not worth your health. When you see boxers getting punched and you see them later in life, all punch drunk, don't you think, "Winning wasn't worth that life!" You must. We all do. That's how everyone sees the dancers - everyone who knows what so many of them are doing. It's not worth it! (Okay, I said I wouldn't try to talk you out of it and I did. Sorry. Can't help myself.)

Don't start with the drugs. Everything that goes in should be HEALTHY! No booze, no candy, no junk. If you're under eating, AT LEAST put in good things. And no drugs! (You may be thinking, "Oh, I'd never!" but ha. So many dancers do - they didn't plan on it, either.)

Take care.

I haven't tried any drugs and don't plan on it. Some of my friends take Zantex. Opinions?

Well they would be taking it to treat stomach ulcers. I'm actually quite concerned, not just for your health but the health of anyone under the care of this academy.

I don't think she is talking about Zantac. I think she is talking about Xanax but has the spelling wrong… Which is why I'm extremely concerned and as someone who is a mandated reporter by law, I am at the point where I want to know the name of this ballet school :neutral_face:

Ah, a weight loss pill. Weight loss pills don't work. They are a gimmick and can have quite unpleasant side effects.
  • bigdancer2000
    Options
    What academy is this that is so strict that they are acting as guardian to you? If you approach them about your concerns and they threaten you in any way, make sure and document everything and go to the media with it. In fact, I would document everything now, just in case.

I am not bashing the academy I am at what so ever. They have actually made me the dancer I am and I am very thankful of that. They are known for producing outstanding dancers and I don't want to ruin that. Grateful I have the opportunity to train there
  • CloudyMao
    Options

Take care.

Christ that's a high caffine "weight loss" pill.

Document absolutely everything from these people and go to the media, honestly this is insane.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    What academy is this that is so strict that they are acting as guardian to you? If you approach them about your concerns and they threaten you in any way, make sure and document everything and go to the media with it. In fact, I would document everything now, just in case.

I am not bashing the academy I am at what so ever. They have actually made me the dancer I am and I am very thankful of that. They are known for producing outstanding dancers and I don't want to ruin that. Grateful I have the opportunity to train there

It may be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity but you only get to live once. If they are forcing you to do things that put your life in danger, it is not worth dancing there. You need to realize that.
  • bigdancer2000
    Options

Take care.

Document absolutely everything from these people and go to the media, honestly this is insane.

The academy does not suggest this pill. A friend of mine told me about it. The studio does not promote unhealthy methods of weight-loss like diet pills.
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I might mention I'm a serous ballet dancer and I have no option

My sister is on the United States Dance Team and she has never been forced to lose weight.

I think it's time to find a new dance studio.

I have auditioned, been accepted to, and currently train at one of the top ballet academies in the United States

Who is forcing you to lose weight? And how old are you?

I turned 18 on Nov. 26th. And my teachers have suggested it and it will show on my scores from the evaluations they give me in a month.

So your teachers are advocating for being underweight? Are you aware of the dangers of under-eating?

Weakness
    Dizziness
    Fainting
    Deficiency in essential vitamins
    Low blood pressure
    Difficulty focusing

More like hopefully suggesting. I am fully aware. Am I am conscious on keeping myself healthy enough to pursue dance

You need to speak to your parents about this. What your teachers are doing is unethical and could result in various legal matters.

If you want to keep yourself healthy, you should be eating closer to 2000+ calories a day and NOT trying to lose weight.

I will talk to the nutritionist they provide

I'm a qualified nutritionist.

If you want to continue putting yourself at risk then it's up to you to sort out your priorities. You have the facts in front of you, continuing in this manner will put your long term health at risk, and your dancing will certainly suffer. IF YOU WANT TO HAVE A HEALTHY BODY & a healthy relationship with food then we on the forums can help you, but if you really want to continue ignoring the risks, then we will keep reminding you of them.

Bottom line, what you're doing is bad for you.

It is comforting to know you are a nutritionist. Maybe you could help get me on the right track since I'm clearly lost.

Well right from the off I would strongly suggest confronting anyone who tells you or implied that you need to lose weight. You are clearly passionate about ballet, having got into a good academy & you want to ensure you're at your absolute healthiest - the best way to ensure that is to maintain energy, by eating way closer or over 2000kcal depending on your activity levels. I would also suggest not seeing their nutritionist, but to speak to your GP, and ask if they could refer you to a dietician or nutritionist - this will remove any possible bias on the academy's behalf.

The most important thing to maintain is your own health, it will ensure you have a long term career in dance.

How should I approach them? I live in the dorms at this academy so any doctor I see will be through the ballet. They make the appointments and they take you. So I hope I can contact you for further advice.

You are 18, right? Legally, they cannot make you see any doctor you do not want to. And you don't have to tell them you are going to one either.

Yes. I just fear they would be mad if they found out I went to an outside doctor. I did this when I had foot surgery and they weren't too happy after.
    That right there screams that they don't have your best interest at heart. Anyone who cares for your health will tell you to seek second or possibly third unbiased professional opinions. Seek a doctor not on their list, without their knowledge. Hear a professional tell you what we are all saying and keep the documents from both the doctors they take you to and the ones you go to see privately. You don't have to tell them. But when they suggest you lose weight, you can tell them no. You will still have those documents should an issue arise that requires legal assistance.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Take care.

The academy does not suggest this pill. A friend of mine told me about it. The studio does not promote unhealthy methods of weight-loss like diet pills.

But they promote under-eating which is even worse.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Eating less than 1200 calories a day puts your body into starvation mode.
    No.
    Starvation mode comes from a long-term VLCD, such as someone being anorexic, or in a famine area (parts of Africa), or a concentration camp (Germany).
    After the body runs out of glucose & glycogen (carbs), it burns fat. Actually, it burns some fat alongside the carbs, that's how we can healthfully lose weight, but it prefers carbs.
    When both carbs & fat are gone, or nearly so, the body starts using muscle. The conversion to carbs (useful energy) is inefficient, so this is a distant 3rd (4th) choice. It's a Hail Mary where the body is hoping you'll find food before you lose so much muscle that your heart & diaphragm stop working & you die.
    I'd think that for a dancer or athlete having muscle (and plenty of it, healthy & useful) would be of paramount importance, so I don't understand deliberately starving yourself & losing muscle, losing nutrients, etc.

BTW, if someone is below average height, it may be perfectly healthy for them to eat below 1000 calories. I have someone on my friends list who is something like 4'9", and I think she's aiming for 800 calories per day.
    Your body starts grabbing on to each and every calorie it possibly can.
    Well, yeah, that's what it always does. But it's not like it holds them. It has to burn calories in order to run, to live. So it takes calories (energy) from wherever it can get it. When there's not enough coming in, it burns what's in the body. That's what most of us are doing in a healthy, controlled way, to burn fat & lose weight.
    You will become malnourished, your body will become weak, and I promise your dancing will actually suffer because your body will start breaking down muscle to compensate.
    Yes, this. To be healthy & do what you love well you need to have nutrients, including calories.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    This thread....
    1810ba5d2316af913e5b802e4f9d8e7f.png
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

Take care.

xanax? that's for anxiety. it isn't that strong of a drug. i don't like it myself because it puts my head in a fog, but doesn't set off alarms to me.
  • CloudyMao
    Options

It's good that you're happy where you are, but you need to be in charge of your own health, especially as you are an adult - they should not be pressuring you into health decisions like that & they are acting extremely authoritarian when it comes to you seeing medical professionals, seemingly they have something to hide. Outstanding dancers need outstandingly healthy bodies to perform the way they do, it's an amazing commitment.
  • bigdancer2000
    Options

It may be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity but you only get to live once. If they are forcing you to do things that put your life in danger, it is not worth dancing there. You need to realize that.

It's more of the pressure of competition and influences of friends that drove me to unhealthy behaviors. Not the academy itself. It's just the cold truth that the academy (as well as other top schools) normally pick, promote, and praise the thinner ones.
  • CloudyMao
    Options

Take care.

Then it might be an idea to make sure they're aware that a few people are taking them (not naming any names ofc!!) that way they can at least help to make sure people are aware that it is unhealthy to do so. If the academy really cares about the health of it's dancers then it sure be ensuring they are not pressured into weight loss, it's one of the biggest problems the dancing community has.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Take care.

ooooh, then no idea.
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options

Again, your body has to carry you far past this career. I'm not saying bash them now. But if they urge that you lose weight and you don't, what happens? Will they kick you out, stop giving you leads? Treat you differently? Threaten to give you a bad rep? If so, you will need legal runs if that happens and documenting their general abuse (encouraging someone to starve themselves qualifies as abuse) will keep them from further subjecting you to their manipulations. Because clearly, they don't care one iota about your life or your health.
  • CloudyMao
    Options

Again, your body has to carry you far past this career. I'm not saying bash them now. But if they urge that you lose weight and you don't, what happens? Will they kick you out, stop giving you leads? Treat you differently? Threaten to give you a bad rep? If so, you will need legal runs if that happens and documenting their general abuse (encouraging someone to starve themselves qualifies as abuse) will keep them from further subjecting you to their manipulations. Because clearly, they don't care one iota about your life or your health.

I second this so hard, all of this.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

It's more of the pressure of competition and influences of friends that drove me to unhealthy behaviors. Not the academy itself. It's just the cold truth that the academy (as well as other top schools) normally pick, promote, and praise the thinner ones.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter where the unhealthy behaviors came from. It still goes back to the academy and what they expect from their dancers. This is why eating disorders are so common amongst the dance community.

I sincerely hope you seek the professional help you so desperately need before you spiral down a tunnel that is extremely difficult to pull yourself out of.

• bigdancer2000
    Options

I second this so hard, all of this.

One of my friends parents (who has a serious ED) is suing them. I think they may start to make changes in the upcoming semester or for the SI
This discussion has been closed.