Ground beef vs. ground turkey

ken_hogan
ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
I was wondering about others preferences in regards to using ground beef vs. ground turkey when using it in meals? Is there really any big pros or cons using one over the other or is it just more of personal preference??

Replies

• RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Anyone have a killer turkey burger recipe? I've had great ones (by far better than beef) and bad ones (plain broiled ground turkey), but I've never made one at home.
  • salydra
    salydra Posts: 29
    There's a pretty huge difference in fat and calories.
  • DancesWithDogz
    DancesWithDogz Posts: 107 Member
    I would go with the ground turkey personally - however if you can avoid meat all together this might be a better choice for you. (we dont really know what is in ground meats...i dont even want to think about it) Try using tofu - there is a great product by Tofurky (italian Sausage with Sun Dried Tomatoes...) i substitute this product in anything that calls for sausage or ground beef - give it a try...! good luck
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    If you're talking about a high-quality ground beef, the only real difference is that it's usually going to be more fatty than turkey. Of course you can get lean ground beef (I wouldn't go leaner than 90/10, personally), but the leaner it is, the less flavor it has.
  • buda12345
    buda12345 Posts: 142 Member
    On low carb/high fat days(fat burning days) I eat ground beef, on High carb/low fat days(muscle building days) I eat ground turkey. It's really about the fat content, protein's about the same
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    I have pretty much cut beef out. It is very fatty. I eat a lot of chicken and turkey. I love turkey burgers. I like Boca Burgers too which is soy.
  • kmartinko
    kmartinko Posts: 114
    I stopped buying ground beef. We use ground turkey breast if we need it for a recipe.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    i use ground turkey alot now... and ground beef rarely
  • Sieden76
    Sieden76 Posts: 127 Member
    when I did eat these meats I chose ground turkey because it felt lighter and like I could digest it faster.
  • melindasuefritz
    Calories

If you're dieting, ground turkey would be healthier than ground beef, as the former contains fewer calories. A 100-g serving of ground turkey contains 148 calories, while the same-sized serving of ground beef contains 192 calories. You would have to lift weights for an extra 12 minutes or jog for an extra five minutes to burn of the additional calories in ground turkey compared to ground beef
  • melindasuefritz
    Total Fat

Ground turkey contains much less fat than ground beef, which is generally considered to be a benefit. Each 100-g serving of ground turkey contains 7.7 g of fat, while 100 g of ground beef contains 12.7 g. Fat is high in calories, so it can be detrimental for dieting. However, research from the November 2004 issue of "International Journal of Sports Medicine" indicates that increased fat intake can promote increased testosterone production, so you may find ground beef preferable.

Saturated Fat

You need some fat to survive, but not all fat is healthy. Saturated fat can increase your cholesterol levels, which promotes an increased risk of heart disease. Ground turkey contains less saturated fat than ground beef; ground turkey contains 2 g per 100 g serving while ground beef has 5.3 g.

Protein

Ground beef and ground turkey are both good sources of protein. Ground turkey contains slightly more protein, 19.7 g, than ground beef, which contains 19.4 g. This difference is unlikely to affect your overall health.

Carbohydrates

Both ground beef and ground turkey can be appropriate for carbohydrate-restricted diets, as both are carbohydrate-free.

Vitamins

Neither ground beef nor ground turkey are rich in vitamins. Ground turkey does provide slightly more B vitamins, such as thiamine, riboflavin and niacin, and also provides some vitamin A, while ground beef contains none. Meanwhile, ground beef does offer more choline and vitamin B-12.

Minerals

Ground turkey and ground beef both contain different amounts of minerals, so the healthier choice depends on your needs. Ground turkey offers more calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and selenium, but ground beef contains more iron, zinc and potassium
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    I make turkey burgers with an egg white, garlic, Worcestershire, and green onions. My husband, who swore up and down he'd never like a turkey burger, prefers these to beef burgers when we cook them at home.

I use both lean beef and turkey. Last week I made sloppy joe's with beef and spaghetti with turkey. It really depends on prices. At the grocery store the other day turkey was $5.99/pound and beef was on sale for $2.99/pound.
  • I have pretty much cut beef out. It is very fatty. I eat a lot of chicken and turkey. I love turkey burgers. I like Boca Burgers too which is soy.

Ditto!
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,190 Member
    We mix chopped onion, jalapenos, little cheese and seasonings in with the ground turkey before making patties. Yummy!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Since I don't care about calories and only my macros, I do grass-fed 90/10. I eat about two pounds a week.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    I don't "keep" myself from ground beef...I do go with the lean stuff 90/10 or 95/5 (can be hard to find)....but when I'm "making" something that simply includes ground beef as an ingredient...chili for example...I substitute the beef for ground turkey or ground chicken (been using the ground chicken recently, and it has worked out well).
  • JVCB
    JVCB Posts: 73 Member
    There are usually 3 grades of ground turkey - 85% lean, 93% lean, and 99% lean. The 85% lean is filled with ground turkey skin (fatty!) and can be worse than ground beef. The 99% lean turkey breast can be very very dry if you cook it plain, so if you're going for a turkey burger, I would use the 93% lean variety.

My favorite turkey burger is an Asian-inspired burger. You can even use the 99% lean turkey for this one, and they freeze really well. Adjust seasonings for your own taste: chopped water chestnuts are a good addition!

2vbu35f.png

Hope that image worked! :)
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Now I'm getting a craving for a turkey burger! LOL....
  • I use ground turkey almost always, it's better for you and much cheaper usually than the leaner ground beef (I can buy 1lb ground turkey for $2.98 when the leanest ground beef is about $5). I use it often in pasta, chili, burgers etc. and you wouldn't even know he difference. I tried it once or twice w/ tacos but it wasn't the same so I was using beef just for that until I found pre-seasoned taco sausage at my local grocery chain (HEB) and it was lower in calories and fat and only $2.50 for a 1lb tube.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    I use both, depending on the dish. I find it takes a lot more work to make turkey flavorful. I usually put it in a dish that has a lot of spices (like a lentil soup) for and added protein boost, but I wouldn't make a Bolognese sauce with turkey.