Ground beef vs. ground turkey

Replies

• orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    I use the 97% fat-free Jennie O ground turkey. SInce it's low in fat, you need to add moisture, and since it's a less flavorful meat, you need to use more spices.

My favorite way to make it is to mix apple sauce, a drizzle of maple syrup, finely diced onion, salt, pepper and ground rosemary into 20 ounces of ground turkey. I don't measure, just eyeball it...doesn't need to be exact.

Then I divide it into burgers, wrap individually, and freeze.

You can also use this recipe to make turkey-meatloaf. Just add egg and breadcrumbs and shape into a loaf instead of burgers.
  • Joanitude
    Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
    If you compare it apples-to-apples it would be close to the same. If you are comparing 80/20 beef to 99/1 turkey, there is a huge difference if both are 95/5 then they are about the same. At that point it is pretty much personal preference - and the cost factor. Personally, I use both, depending on what I am making.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Well for me the biggie is that ground beef is useful and tasty but ground turkey absolutely sucks, my husband and I both hate it, so...no question.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    There's a pretty huge difference in fat and calories.

Not necessarily....you can get 95% lean ground beef....95% lean ground beef has the same exact fat content as 95% lean turkey. 85% lean ground beef has the exact same fat content as 85% lean ground turkey.

You have to make sure you're comparing apples to apples...you can't compare, for example, 85% lean ground beef to 95% lean ground turkey...of course, the turkey would have less fat in that instance...but the same would be said for comparing 85% lean ground beef to 95% lean ground beef.

Personally, turkey belongs on sammiches with mayo and big slabs of it during the holidays...it is an in-adequate substitute for a burger and don't get me started on sausage or bacon...just no.

I eat beef, ground beef, chicken, fish, turkey, pork, bacon, etc....I try to make most of my meats lean, but a good fatty burger occasionally is excellent. Just fit it into your goals. I do all of the above and have dropped 40 Lbs and completely reversed a bunch of really bad blood work.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Having gone back and read through some posts...so many people misunderstand fat...very sad. I bet most people on MFP are malnourished because they don't get enough fat. '80s are over people...fat doesn't make you fat.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    I use TVP in place of ground meat in recipes. Less calories.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Ground turkey is no healthier than ground beef and in many instances it is way less healthy.........they grind the skin up with it which adds to higher Omega 6, which can lead to inflammation.

I will stick to my grass fed ground beef from my local farmers.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Tat2dDom0105 Posts: 661
    My wife and I mostly eat ground turkey, whether it's for tacos, burgers, or meat loaf........but once in a while we'll have red meat.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    I often grind my own beef, that way I know exactly what is in it. I buy a big hunk of sirloin and grind 100% sirloin burger. Or a chuck roast and have 100% chuck. I don't buy burger from the store. We buy a half a steer from a local school's ag program, grass fed, organic beef. We got about 70lbs of burger from the last one we bought, and it's so much better than anything you get in the store. I can cook a burger that still has some pink in it and not worry about getting sick like I do with the feed lot mass produced hamburger.

As far as tofu burger stuff- what's worse- the fat from a good piece of beef you grind up, or all the processing that goes on to make soy look like meat? I'll take the meat.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Taste Vs. No taste
    I'll choose taste
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Turkey has the largest digestible forms of iron, which is why I buy it. We still eat beef, in fact my husband almost demands a burger at least twice a month, so I wait until he asks for it to buy it. Also, if you find that your turkey burgers are a little dry, adding an egg and grated onion will help with that.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    I always choose turkey! I recently read a study that suggests that, in our gut, the red meat assists in the formation of a protein that essentially helps cholesterol stick to our arteries and they suggest keeping it to 1-2 times a week if you eat it. So I just avoid the hassle and eat turkey...in everything. :) Tacos, burgers, etc. Yum!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Wow. Just wow.

Eat what you enjoy. Count it, eat it, enjoy it, move on.

If you prefer ground turkey then eat ground turkey. If you prefer ground beef then eat ground beef.

Also agree with the wolfman on both posts.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Having gone back and read through some posts...so many people misunderstand fat...very sad. I bet most people on MFP are malnourished because they don't get enough fat. '80s are over people...fat doesn't make you fat.

:flowerforyou: :drinker: :heart:
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    ground turkey, I really like it. Some foods taste better with ground beef though like sloppy jos. Those are terrible with ground turkey.
  • jorasims
    jorasims Posts: 75 Member
    Wow. Just wow.

Eat what you enjoy. Count it, eat it, enjoy it, move on.

If you prefer ground turkey then eat ground turkey. If you prefer ground beef then eat ground beef.

Also agree with the wolfman on both posts.

This right here. The hubby is not a fan and if I want a burger I cub prefer beef. Too each his own.
  • JDBLY11
    Anyone have a killer turkey burger recipe? I've had great ones (by far better than beef) and bad ones (plain broiled ground turkey), but I've never made one at home.

Yes, and it is very simple. Two eggs, 1/4 cup bread crumbs, 20 ounces lean or extra lean turkey burger, and seasonings to taste. That makes such a good basic burger.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Both!

I eat them whenever i want them. I usually get 90% or higher for ground beef, but i don't like the taste of fatty meat. I prefer turkey over beef taste wise, but it really comes down to what i'm making. :~)
  • JDBLY11
    There's a pretty huge difference in fat and calories.

Not necessarily....you can get 95% lean ground beef....95% lean ground beef has the same exact fat content as 95% lean turkey. 85% lean ground beef has the exact same fat content as 85% lean ground turkey.

You have to make sure you're comparing apples to apples...you can't compare, for example, 85% lean ground beef to 95% lean ground turkey...of course, the turkey would have less fat in that instance...but the same would be said for comparing 85% lean ground beef to 95% lean ground beef.

Personally, turkey belongs on sammiches with mayo and big slabs of it during the holidays...it is an in-adequate substitute for a burger and don't get me started on sausage or bacon...just no.

I eat beef, ground beef, chicken, fish, turkey, pork, bacon, etc....I try to make most of my meats lean, but a good fatty burger occasionally is excellent. Just fit it into your goals. I do all of the above and have dropped 40 Lbs and completely reversed a bunch of really bad blood work.

I agree about turkey bacon but I like lean turkey sausage. I actually prefer the leaner meat. I can't stand the texture and chewiness of fat, even ground up. And regular meat has so many calories for a small serving. I like having more volume for less calories.

I think people should make turkey more often and not just during the holidays. It is so good on sandwiches or with gravy.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    i hate beef so ground beef is never an option for me .

turkey tends to be dry because of the low fat. i usually add olive oil and a lot of seasonings.

but really i prefer ground chicken and my fave is ground lamb. ground pork is also good too