Specific foods do NOT make you gain weight

Options

Replies

• dr3w_s
    dr3w_s Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Try to explain that to my housemate, she had gone through raw food diet, juicing, blood type diet. Now she's eating the diet set by her personal trainer, no wheat, no dairy, no carb after 7pm etc. She would buy anything that says 100% natural or organic or detox. After 3 years living together, her body didn't change at all. Of course she wouldn't listen to me because I don't have fancy degree in nutrition or an MD.
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    "You will get fat from eating too much of any food. The end."

I challenge you..... eat ice cream and only ice cream for 2 weeks and see if you gain any weight.

If its within your calorie goal range to lose...you won't gain weight. Calories in, calories out

But you will have high blood sugar and potentially hold onto more fat in your abdomen.... And eating lots of "white" carbs and sugar will make you MORE hungry and will make you want more "white" carbs and sugar... it's an endless cycle which can lead to diabetes or insulin resistance. People should be especially careful or this if there is a family history of diabetes or PCOS. (A lot of fertility issues can be solved by addressing insulin resistance...even thin people can develop this.)
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

I challenge you..... eat ice cream and only ice cream for 2 weeks and see if you gain any weight.
    Someone did that with Twinkies, another person did it with beer...they both tracked calories and lost weight.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

The story regarding one of the individuals you mentioned. Strangely enough, his cholestorol levels were not out of wack; doctors still can't figure that one out. It's probably due to a fluke as everyone's body is different and results will vary. It must've been a rought diet considering the high calorie/low volume food involved. I'd imagine there weren't many options to stave off hunger for a long time.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Bananas made me fat. If only I hadn't eaten a banana a day, I would still fit into my college wardrobe.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    As much as I hate to ruin this circlejerk, I spent 5 months counting calories, watching everything I ate. "All in moderation." I didn't lose a damn thing, weight nor inches. But when I watch my carb intake? Boom!

But if everyone wants to continue to operate under the notion that EVERY single body works EXACTLY the same way, then go ahead. Screw people who do their own thing. Because if it works for you, it MUST work for someone else, right?

Ever wonder why aspirin works pretty much the same way on everyone, but food for some reason affects us all in special, unique ways?

Could it be that emotional issues surrounding food affect our perception?
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    nice finally someone with intelligence...sighs these forums:)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I just had a facebook friend repost that horrible diet campaign thing that you can find here about the '5 foods you should never eat' and how you will lose belly fat if you stop eating them. I had to make a comment, but I wasn't going to argue forever, it's just a waste of time.
  • Andrea8985
    Andrea8985 Posts: 107
    Options
    Try to explain that to my housemate, she had gone through raw food diet, juicing, blood type diet. Now she's eating the diet set by her personal trainer, no wheat, no dairy, no carb after 7pm etc. She would buy anything that says 100% natural or organic or detox. After 3 years living together, her body didn't change at all. Of course she wouldn't listen to me because I don't have fancy degree in nutrition or an MD.

WTF is a blood type diet? I thought I had heard it all when I heard of the HCG diet.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

WTF is a blood type diet? I thought I had heard it all when I heard of the HCG diet.

It's basically a bunch of voodoo that suggests that your blood type will predetermine which foods you should avoid and which ones you should eat a lot of.

It's nonsense.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

If its within your calorie goal range to lose...you won't gain weight. Calories in, calories out

But you will have high blood sugar and potentially hold onto more fat in your abdomen.... And eating lots of "white" carbs and sugar will make you MORE hungry and will make you want more "white" carbs and sugar... it's an endless cycle which can lead to diabetes or insulin resistance. People should be especially careful or this if there is a family history of diabetes or PCOS. (A lot of fertility issues can be solved by addressing insulin resistance...even thin people can develop this.)

The thread topic and my response was based on weight loss...not nutrition. Thanks
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The first law of Thermodynamics: delta U = Q - W + (E - food energy) does not care if E comes from wheat grass or Doritos.

I thought the first law of thermodynamics was you do not talk about thermodynamics? :bigsmile:
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

inorite?
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Bananas made me fat. If only I hadn't eaten a banana a day, I would still fit into my college wardrobe.

I remember your banana eating days fondly.

6j144i.gif
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    You will not get fat from eating a banana
    You will not get fat from eating fried chicken
    You will not get fat from eating ice cream
    You will get fat from eating too much of any food. The end.

Um, this isn't true at all. Yesterday I ate 1lb of chicken and I weighed myself before and after. When I was finished, I weighed 1lb more.

Explain that with your "science". :noway:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Oh my god. I don't know my blood type. I CANNOT EAT ANYTHING OR I WILL DIE!!
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You will not get fat eating banana or ice cream.
    Just watch your portion Control.

I have been losing weight by keeping just a little under my 1200 calories.
    Since I can only do minimal exercise.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Oh the irony.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    Oh my god. I don't know my blood type. I CANNOT EAT ANYTHING OR I WILL DIE!!

If you don't know your blood type, the broscience is invalid.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

Remind me again, where exactly can we purchase your 'book'?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

inorite?

I am always on the lookout for people that realize bicep curls aren't a full body exercise. :)