Sliced Bread replacements?

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions on food to use to replace regular sliced bread? I normally eat whole wheat bread, and had picked up some tortillas to replace that - but found the calorie count to be about the same!
- I have been struggling since after the holidays to lose weight. I have been losing and gaining the same couple of pounds since getting back to my PRE-holiday weight. Someone suggested cutting my bread and sugar down... I don't usually have white sugar except in my coffee/tea but I am willing to try that out - but I do need something in the AM and toast is my go to at work...

Any ideas??

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to lower carbs and sugar? Just eat at a calorie deficit.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Why can't you have toast in the AM? If it keeps you going and you enjoy it, and you can stay at a calorie deficit?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Well, you can always just eat half a slice and add something like peanut butter to your toast.

However, this change is not necessarily to lose weight. The main thing is to log accurately (weigh everything). Maybe skip eating out for a couple of weeks to get a chance to really get an accurate log so you understand your real rate of loss compared to caloric intake. If after two weeks of accurate logging you aren't losing, then you can start to cut down your calories.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    All breads and everything else made of flour and grains is going to be calorie dense, because it's carbs. That doesn't mean you can't eat it, just have an eye on your daily calorie goal and you'll be fine.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I agree that you can still eat bread if you want to, and lose weight.

But, since you asked for alternative ideas:
    • Lettuce wraps
    • Egg white wraps
    • Put your food on top of salad greens instead of in a sandwich
  • emilymean
    emilymean Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I use cabbage, it's thick and crunchy which I enjoy.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.
    I do weigh all solids, and liquids when I log. You can all access my diary it is public.
    I think I will cut out the eating out for a couple of weeks and see where it gets me, but really, I am always under my goals for the day (except 1 day last week I was 20something calories OVER)
    BUT I have my goal set to lose 1lb a week. I only have the last 10lbs to lose, so should bne at 0.5lbs a week from what I see around this site - but because I am usually not hungry I figure leave it at 1lb and then I know I have a little window...

Should I just change it to 0.5lbs? im afraid that it will be too slow to even notice anything...
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    I wouldn't think that two slices of bread and a few teaspoons of sugar would make much of a difference. However, an alternative would be rice cakes.

Instead of eating less calories, your better bet may be more filling choices. Oatmeal, yogurt with granola and fruit, and protein shakes will all keep you better satisfied.

Alternatively, are there other places you could cut calories, such as a homemade or frozen lunch instead of going out? OR could you up your daily exercise by 5-10 minutes a day?
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Wasa crackers? I sometimes use them in place of bread, to eat with turkey, or peanut butter or whatever. Low in calories and high in fiber.
  • tracymayo1
    Options
    @katherine_startrek_fan‌ I always bring left overs for lunches at work. If I eat out, it is usually one supper a week near the weekend with the kids.

I am not having an issue with being hungry. I am under my calories for the most part (or slightly over but as my goal is set high at 1lb a week it should be fine).
    Just having read where people say to switch things up to start losing again.
    I go to the gym at lunch on weekdays and only have 30 mins. I don't know if the fact that the gym is new is part of the reason im not moving...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions on food to use to replace regular sliced bread?
    Tortillas.

I find the biscuits from red lobster work well too.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    All breads and everything else made of flour and grains is going to be calorie dense, because it's carbs. That doesn't mean you can't eat it, just have an eye on your daily calorie goal and you'll be fine.

Fat contains more calories than carbs.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    @katherine_startrek_fan‌ I always bring left overs for lunches at work. If I eat out, it is usually one supper a week near the weekend with the kids.

I am not having an issue with being hungry. I am under my calories for the most part (or slightly over but as my goal is set high at 1lb a week it should be fine).
    Just having read where people say to switch things up to start losing again.
    I go to the gym at lunch on weekdays and only have 30 mins. I don't know if the fact that the gym is new is part of the reason im not moving...

This could be the case for sure, when you are using muscles more than usual you will have more water weight.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    You could try Googling flax bread recipes. Warning, though: it doesn't really "feel" like bread as you think of bread.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I have lost 41lbs and have never given up bread or sugar. I tried 45 calorie bread, I can't believe it's not butter and Splenda..yuk. So I went back to bread and just worked them in.

It hasn't failed me.

Good luck!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I have lost 41lbs and have never given up bread or sugar. I tried 45 calorie bread, I can't believe it's not butter and Splenda..yuk. So I went back to bread and just worked them in.

It hasn't failed me.

Good luck!

haha, I like the 45 calorie bread. But I get it, it's not that nice.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Look for lower calorie bread. 35 calories per slice is the lowest I've been able to find. But there are many available for 50 calories.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, Natural Ovens has a 50/cal per slice bread that actually takes like bread - "Right Wheat Weight Sense"
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    This must be by far the weirdest replacement question I have ever seen… Why would you want to replace… bread? Bread is … bread! It's the base of everything…

• tracymayo1
    Options
    @GingerbreadCandy‌ :) I was just thinking of the "switch it up" approach to help get weight loss back on track. I won't eliminate bread, I love it too much - but I thought maybe people who have been at this longer than I have would have some tricks that may help me get over the hump.

I really think part of the issue is the new gym in my routine. and I will cut out the restaurant once a week and see if that helps at all...