Sliced Bread replacements?

Options

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    This must be by far the weirdest replacement question I have ever seen… Why would you want to replace… bread? Bread is … bread! It's the base of everything…

Just guessing here, but she's probably looking for ways to get to a healthier carb/fat/protein ratio, or to stay within her daily calories. Bread is delicious but it is calorie-dense if you eat too much of it.

Lots of us started out here eating WAY too many carbs. I'm not advocating a low-carb diet by any means, but just getting my carbs down to 50% of my daily intake was a struggle for me. Before, they were probably up at like 80-90%.

OP, don't stop eating bread. Just eat less of it.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This must be by far the weirdest replacement question I have ever seen… Why would you want to replace… bread? Bread is … bread! It's the base of everything…

Not in my house it isn't, LOL.

And we're far from starving. We have tons and tons of delicious choices, I could go a month and never make exactly the same meal twice.

But I do limit my bread. I have to make GF bread, but it's gooooooooooood. It's like, you-don't-need-to-put-anything-on-this, bakery-fresh, squishy fabulous good. But by no means is it a low-cal item. So I have one slice, cut that slice in half and smear it with peanut butter, mmmm. (Do the same for my kids' lunches, along with a yogurt, an apple and so on.)

I don't deny myself my bread. But I do control the amounts. And I enjoy the shoot out of it. It has to be delicious, or why bother...IMO. ;)

• 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have made my MIM in a sandwich container to make bread and it's really good with cream cheese.

Then I found weight watchers bread and learned that I can have 2 slices of bread with peanut butter (PB2) and jam (lowcarbgrocery.com) for 150 calories. No need to cut out bread any longer.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Fair enough. ^^ It is just really unconceivable for me to truly switch out bread for anything else… sure, I can do lettuce wraps, use rice crackers… but it's a completely different meal in my mind, not a replacement. :)

In fact, I was thinking if I had any ideas that could be useful to you, but I can't really say because it depends on what meal you are switching… Is it breakfast? Sandwiches? Dinner…?

Also, to be fair, proper, good, fluffy bread IS the one thing I have trouble eating in moderation, if it's around. I will actually go on bread binges because it is so rare I have it at home. (Not for dietary reasons, it just gets dry too little.) ^^

• GingerbreadCandy
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

Not in my house it isn't, LOL.

And we're far from starving. We have tons and tons of delicious choices, I could go a month and never make exactly the same meal twice.

But I do limit my bread. I have to make GF bread, but it's gooooooooooood. It's like, you-don't-need-to-put-anything-on-this, bakery-fresh, squishy fabulous good. But by no means is it a low-cal item. So I have one slice, cut that slice in half and smear it with peanut butter, mmmm. (Do the same for my kids' lunches, along with a yogurt, an apple and so on.)

I don't deny myself my bread. But I do control the amounts. And I enjoy the shoot out of it. It has to be delicious, or why bother...IMO. ;)

Hahaha! No sorry, that is not what I meant. I meant that it is such a basic type of food I cannot really conceive how to swap it out… It's a bit like eggs. I also could not imagine how to replace eggs.

I mean, I could avoid eating them, but it would be a different meal, not a replacement. :)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Also, to be fair, proper, good, fluffy bread IS the one thing I have trouble eating in moderation, if it's around.

Same here. The bread basket at good restaurants is a frequent trap for me. I know some people could eat half a roll and be done with it, but I find myself going back for more, and more, and more... so I stopped eating it altogether. Not because it's inherently bad; just because I have poor willpower around it.

If nobody else at the table is eating the bread, I'll usually ask the waiter to take it away.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I've lost 10 lbs and eat lots of bread and sugar!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    @GingerbreadCandy‌ :) I was just thinking of the "switch it up" approach to help get weight loss back on track. I won't eliminate bread, I love it too much - but I thought maybe people who have been at this longer than I have would have some tricks that may help me get over the hump.

I really think part of the issue is the new gym in my routine. and I will cut out the restaurant once a week and see if that helps at all...

There are no tricks, and there are no humps - if you aren't losing weight, you are eating at maintenance. You may need to look more closely at your intake, weigh everything, double check entries, and maybe adjust your intake for your new, lower weight. Weightloss slowing down after Christmas may be just a coincidence.

Nothing needs cutting. Eat what you like, just a bit less.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I have lost 41lbs and have never given up bread or sugar. I tried 45 calorie bread, I can't believe it's not butter and Splenda..yuk. So I went back to bread and just worked them in.

It hasn't failed me.

Good luck!

Butter and splenda? That's weird. Why would bread taste like or have the consistency of butter? What brand was that? Are you sure it wasn't well past the 'use by' date?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I have lost 41lbs and have never given up bread or sugar. I tried 45 calorie bread, I can't believe it's not butter and Splenda..yuk. So I went back to bread and just worked them in.

It hasn't failed me.

Good luck!

Butter and splenda? That's weird. Why would bread taste like or have the consistency of butter? What brand was that? Are you sure it wasn't well past the 'use by' date?

She was just saying she tried butter and sugar replacements as well.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I cut back on bread a bit to decrease my calorie intake. I tend to go for Arnold multigrain sandwich thins (100 calories) or Ortega whole wheat wraps (120 calories) if I want a lower calorie sandwich/wrap, otherwise I go for multigrain ciabatta bread (200-250 calories). If you want a snack, you can always forgo the bread altogether and just roll some lunch meat and cheese together.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

It hasn't failed me.

Good luck!

Doh! I thought she was saying she couldn't believe the bread wasn't butter. LOL
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

It hasn't failed me.

Good luck!

Doh! I thought she was saying she couldn't believe the bread wasn't butter. LOL

LOL that's what I thought you thought.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Bag o' Chips

Example:
    He thought he was the best thing since sliced bread.
    replaced with:
    He thought he was all that and a bag o' chips.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    Thanks all.
    I do weigh all solids, and liquids when I log. You can all access my diary it is public.
    I think I will cut out the eating out for a couple of weeks and see where it gets me, but really, I am always under my goals for the day (except 1 day last week I was 20something calories OVER)
    BUT I have my goal set to lose 1lb a week. I only have the last 10lbs to lose, so should bne at 0.5lbs a week from what I see around this site - but because I am usually not hungry I figure leave it at 1lb and then I know I have a little window...

Should I just change it to 0.5lbs? im afraid that it will be too slow to even notice anything...

A couple questions how much do you have left to lose? Also do you think it's possible you've hit a plateau?
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel 4:9 cinnamon raisin bread is 80 calories a slice.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Mankind has been trying to develop "the best thing since Sliced Bread" since near the dawn of the last century.

Good luck with that!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Fat contains more calories than carbs.

Which is heavier - a pound of gold or a pound of feathers?

I'm pretty sure 100 calories of fat contains THE SAME 100 CALORIES as 100 calories of carbs ... right?

• GingerbreadCandy
    Options

Mankind has been trying to develop "the best thing since Sliced Bread" since near the dawn of the last century.

Good luck with that!

Lol. This!

Exactly what I was trying to put into words!
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel 4:9 cinnamon raisin bread is 80 calories a slice.
    Hmmm I havent seen this brand in Canada (Qc). Bur we do have Sunmaid.. ill check the labels again next time im in the store, and see what I can find!