Protein Powder: Worth the Calories or Not Worth the Hype

Options

Replies

• MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    I guess my main problem is that I can't eat enough throughout the day to reach my protein/calorie goal without stuffing myself completely full and not eating the whole entire day or eating absolute crap foods. I am new to all of this working out and calorie counting healthy lifestyle business. Don't believe me, check out my diary, it's pretty pathetic. Old habits die hard. I love bad foods just as much as I love good foods.

I'm at a decent weight I think for my height and all, I just need to build up my muscles and I've heard protein powders will help with that. I want to make sure I'm doing enough, whether that's with supplements or whatever, that I'm not losing muscle mas during my HIIT workouts.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback and for everyone being so nice and helpful. That's not always the case with these chats things.

Again, thanks for ALL your suggestions and I look forward to trying some of these out.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Worth the calories? What? I don't even think you understand your own question lol. Buy a low carb one and it's the same or better calorie:protein ratio as other lean sources of protein.

Checking the nutrition labels on the stuff I have in my fridge:

4 oz raw boneless, skinless chicken breast = 120 calories, 23g of protein

4 oz tilapia filet = 120 calories, 21g of protein

4 oz 93/7 ground beef = 120 calories, 23g of protein

1 scoop of protein powder (I use Syntrax Whey, but there are plenty other similar ones) = 120 calories, 23g of protein

As far as being "worth the hype"? Well people are just stupid and don't know what it's actually used for. It's a supplement, so I recommend you use it to supplement your protein intake if you're having a hard time meeting your protein requirements from whole food sources alone.

Then again it's always good to have around regardless. Sometimes the laziness hits and you don't feel like cooking or you might simply not feel like eating a bunch of chicken or fish.
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    FWIW... see if you have a local lifting/bodybuilding shop that sells protein powders... ask if they have any sample packets for you to try. I get samples almost every time I buy from my local shop.

I went into GNC today and the clerk must've thought I had no clue about anything concerning health and was giving me his spiel...he gave me a ton of sample packets and I wasn't complaining. It's nice to find one that isn't chunky and doesn't taste like throw up.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I honestly love protein powder because it helps me to bulk my diet up with a little more protein and it's great after a workout.
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    FWIW... see if you have a local lifting/bodybuilding shop that sells protein powders... ask if they have any sample packets for you to try. I get samples almost every time I buy from my local shop.

I went into GNC today and the clerk must've thought I had no clue about anything concerning health and was giving me his spiel...he gave me a ton of sample packets and I wasn't complaining. It's nice to find one that isn't chunky and doesn't taste like throw up.

That's pretty much my only requirement. I don't want it to be chunky puke flavored protein.

I know a personal trainer but I always feel like I'm bothering him with questions like this, but I may see if he can get me some samples or something.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    I'm VERY leery about buying a canister and not liking it.

I felt just like you. So I was pretty excited to discover that CVS has single serve packets! I bought a strawberry & a chocolate. I didn't use them all at once for shakes, instead I added ~10g to my yogurt each day and I think each was 28g so between the two they lasted about a week. (The strawberry was actually pretty good and I was surprised because it was a store brand). That said- I realized it was a little boring having the same flavor everyday. Even though I tried to mix it into complimenting flavors of yogurt the flavor of the protein took over. I started looking into natural/unflavored powders and decided on the Designer Whey Plain & Simple which is decently priced & it's extra helpful that Puritan offers free shipping. It definitely has a flavor, but its the same underlying flavor that were in both the strawberry & the chocolate, which I guess is what whey tastes like... I don't know. But I like it.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    wait, something I've been wondering.

What hype?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For me, no, not really. A scoop of protein powder with water just doesn't do it for me, so I have to add milk, and that ends up being too many calories for something not filling at all. In the end, I'd rather eat my calories, and if I'm a bit low on protein at the end of the day, it's not the end of the world, I'm still way over 100g most days anyway (I've yet to find a protein powder recipe I really like).
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Too expensive for too little benefit. I prefer eating whole food protein. Keeps me satisfied longer.
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    I use the Jay Robb Unflavored Isolate. Because it's unflavored, you can pretty much add it to anything that stirs. I usually drink it with 6-7 oz of grapefruit juice, but I've added it to soups, spaghetti sauce, yogurt, oatmeal... 26g of protein for 110 calories. No soy lecithin, they use non-GMO sunflower lecithin. jmcmpleayzpb.jpg

I LOVE the idea of adding it to foods I'm already eating to boost their protein factor. Especially spaghetti sauce.

• MoHousdon
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    For me, no, not really. A scoop of protein powder with water just doesn't do it for me, so I have to add milk, and that ends up being too many calories for something not filling at all. In the end, I'd rather eat my calories, and if I'm a bit low on protein at the end of the day, it's not the end of the world, I'm still way over 100g most days anyway (I've yet to find a protein powder recipe I really like).

@Francl27‌ I know a guy that makes chocolate peanut butter shakes with his protein powder and they are delicious. It's like having a shake from Sonic without all the calories and way more protein. I could see myself doing something like that for a dessert or a late night snack if I still have calories left to use. I don't know, I was just curious what other people thought.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

@Francl27‌ I know a guy that makes chocolate peanut butter shakes with his protein powder and they are delicious. It's like having a shake from Sonic without all the calories and way more protein. I could see myself doing something like that for a dessert or a late night snack if I still have calories left to use. I don't know, I was just curious what other people thought.

I've done some pretty good shakes, but typically I have to add too much stuff to make it taste good, and it's never thick enough. I guess I should look up some recipes.
  • keithw2013
    keithw2013 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You have already had lots of responses....

My answer? Yes - worth it.
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    I spoke to that personal trainer/body builder friend of mine and he suggested that I just go into Supplement Giant and get several different samples. He also suggest Dymatize All Natural Elite Whey Protein.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I need to get some more protein in my diet to help build lean muscle. I have seen a lot of diaries with protein powder, but I'm VERY leery about buying a canister and not liking it. Does anyone have suggestions on kinds/brands they've tried and are totally worth the calories and hype.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

What are you trying to hit protein wise? You only need to supplement if you're having trouble consistently hitting your goals. There's not magic to protein powder, it's just a supplement.

I use Optimum Nutrition Whey Isolate (chocolate). I think it's delicious...it's only like 140 calories and has 30 grams of protein...I don't think 140 calories would be my determining factor...it's not a lot of calories.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

^^ sample packs are amazing :). You can sometimes request them from the manufacturer or Bodybuilding.com has it. Protein powder can be a good tool if you are having issues hitting your protein goal.
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    I am consistently under my protein goal everyday. Yesterday I wasn't because I had a protein packed lunch and a chocolate peanut butter protein shake that was AMAZING!!! I just don't eat enough protein so I have been thinking about supplementing to help with that.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any of the protein bars? Quest and musclepharm are the ones that I have had- both are pretty good and around 20G of protein.
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I use Vega Sport Performance Protein Powerd (vanilla). It's plant based. I blend it with almond milk and a frozen banana and it makes a creamy, delicious drink to help with muscle recovery after my workouts. I generally don't care for the taste of protein powders but this one is different. It could be because it is plant based it doesn't have that funky taste I found disagreeable with other products. I can buy mine at Sprouts (market) when I'm shopping anyway so it doesn't require a special trip to GNC or other similar type stores.
  • amyonfiree
    amyonfiree Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Vega Sport is my go-to.