Protein Powder: Worth the Calories or Not Worth the Hype

Options

Replies

• CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    I LOVE syntha6 vanilla ice cream flavor. I haven't branched out into flavors other than vanilla yet, but love it.

When I don't drink it straight with milk, I put it in a blender with milk and a frozen banana and pumpkin puree with some cinnamon- boom, pumpkin spice milkshake for breakfast for ~300ish calories.
  • ekkk1118
    ekkk1118 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use sprouts bulk whey isolate protein. 190 calories for 50g. Some may think it's a little pricey at $11-$12 per lb, but it doesn't have all the crap in it like sugar and such. On sale at sprouts near me for $9.99 per lbs until 7/26/17
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If you need protein with the most efficient calorie/macro ratio then they are worth it. If you have calorie/macro room in your budget then try and get it through regular food. Either way you can't go wrong.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Note that many have enough sugar and fat in them to make them fewer grams of protein/calorie than very lean meat (ie fish)..and these are likely the ones that taste the best if mixing with straight water. I like Jym Chocolate Cookie Crunch for drinking with straight water - I found it a good compromise between price/taste/calories.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Hey, @MoHousdon, your thread was raised from the dead! :D

ag2073izgbxl.gif

• rs02011988
    rs02011988 Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I don't always drink a protein shake, but I do if I have exercised a lot that day.

I dont think I saw anyone else say this, but I know that GNC will take ANY protein powder back if you buy it and don't like it for any reason. I think that other stores may do that, too? But I only have experience with GNC.

Oh, and my favorite is Dymatize-- I have the birthday cake version right now and its delicious!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Whey protein can be a convenient and effective way to meet your macro goals.

For me, Myprotein Impact Whey is the best combination of quality, taste and value.
  • fatvegan88
    fatvegan88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I use IronVegan sprouted protein most people who need a tasty protein won't like it but I do.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I can't stand artificial flavors and sweeteners, so I get mine plain from truenutrition.com. They do have an assorted flavor pack for those who want to try out all the different flavors, but I've never tried it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    For Flavor and texture I like ON and Pure Protein... chocolate/vanilla flavors.

It's quick and easy in the morning as I'm heading out the door.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I like Trutein protein powders.

What I like even more, is if you go to their website, you can get sample packets. So, you can basically try them before you buy a huge tub.

https://www.bodynutrition.com/samples/
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    The only time I use protein powder is when I put it in my oats to bulk them up and give them flavor. I love Quest, a bit pricey though. I also love ON Whey.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I like the Isopure Zero powders - it's a very fine textured powder that can be mixed into anything...milk, yogurt, smoothies, etc. You might also consider visiting your local smoothie shop - they often have a section of protein powder packets for sale. You can try a couple different kinds without committing to an entire canister.
  • MelissaSheklian
    MelissaSheklian Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition is delicious and high quality stuff, search for protein powder recipes it can be used for so much more than a shake and if you have a sweet tooth ( mine is ridiculous) it can be a life saver!

Personally I do at least one scoop a day after working out, usually blended with peanut butter and almond milk frozen to a frosty- like consistency (yes it has roughly 330 calories but also 31g protein and I count it as one of my 4 meals per day). This has made weight loss so much easier both because of satiety from the protein and just enough sweet to keep that tooth in check. Also plenty of research supports whey protein as a healthy way to lose because it helps with fat loss while maintaining lean muscle.
  • AMV91
    AMV91 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've tried lots of them and tbh most of them taste like butt if you are straight up drinking them in water or milk.

I add a scoop into coffee with some whole milk and even the grossest tasting ones are good that way. Also in a smoothie, if I'm using it as a meal vs a snack.
  • Waddellfitness
    Waddellfitness Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use syntha 6 or musclepharm. Appropriately used protein powder can do great things wether you are cutting or gaining. Gaining have a protein shake in the morning with breakfast or at night before bed and a shake after your workout. For cutting I like to have a protein shake for breakfast as a meal replacement. Although I'm not a professional by any means that's just my 2 cents
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I've tried a bunch thanks to sample boxes from Amazon. My favorite is BSN Syntha-6 Chocolate Milkshake.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Syntha-6 is awesome. Chocolate peanut butter is amazing. That said, I don't consider it to be a pure protein powder - only about 44% of the calories are from protein.
  • new_arc87
    new_arc87 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I prefer unflavored. Look for something with whey; that's the only ingredient you need.

It has just a slight milky aftertaste, which is unnoticeable when added to a fruit smoothie.