HDL/LDL/Cholesterol Won't Budge

Options
leebesstoad
leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
I'm looking for any suggestions for any dietary supplementation ideas people might have above and beyond what I'm currently trying. Here's the situation. Last year at my physical, when I was about at the high point of my weight and worst point of my diet and exercise (or lack thereof), I was at about 200 pounds, my total cholesterol was at 197, my LDL was about 130, my HDL was at 37. This year after many months of exercise, including aerobic and strength training, getting my diet well controlled with good clean eating (no fried foods, minimal fats), my weight was down to about 170, but my total cholesterol was 197, my LDL was about 130 and my HDL was at 37. Nada, zip, zilch. No changes at all. They wouldn't budge. In spite of diet improvement and exercise improvement. The doc doesn't think they are serious enough to consider statins at this time. But we are trying fish oil, a rapid release niacin, and red rice yeast. to see if we can at least move the needle a little.

So does anybody have any other suggestions of things to try diet or supplementation wise that might help even a little?

TIA.

Replies

• JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this too. I have similar problems and when I lost weight ( 60 lbs) and started exercising ( walking over an hour several times a week and doing weight machines) last time it did not change.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Try plant sterols. I have a similar story: after losing over 30 lb my cholesterol was still high and I really don't want to go on statins. So, I asked for three months. I started fish oil, plant sterols and red rice yeast. Blood tests showed LDL down about half of what the doctor wants to see, but I am trying another three months. I also was able to up the exercise after suffering an injury last summer. I did read that CoQ10 is helpful, as well.
    My doctor is convinced that my cholesterol levels are genetic, and was quite surprised that they had come down as much as they had. I'm not really expecting that big a drop again, but we will see.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    soluble fiber...I eat oatmeal at least 5 days per week. Berries like strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries are also good sources. In the veggie kingdom, Brussels sprouts are a good source...I eat them about 2-3 times per week. Also, healthy monounsaturated fats from nuts, nut butters, avocado, olive oil. Keep your long chain saturated fats (red meat and dairy) in check. The less active you are the more important that part is. I'm convinced that limiting my intake of processed foods has helped as well...maybe even more than anything else. I try to get as much nutrient dense, whole foods in my diet as possible...my processed food intake is pretty minimal overall (don't look at yesterday and today though...). I've also eliminated any man made trans fats from hydrogenated oils as well as anything with high fructose corn syrup.

Also, and I have no scientific evidence for this, but I give weight lifting a lot of props for reducing my LDL levels and increasing my HDL levels...I do some cardio, but most of my exercise is in the weight room.

I've completely reversed all of my bad blood work in about 8 months with the above.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    From the Mayo Clinic:

1. Oatmeal, oat bran and high-fiber foods

Oatmeal contains soluble fiber, which reduces your low-density lipoprotein (LDL), the "bad," cholesterol. Soluble fiber is also found in such foods as kidney beans, apples, pears, barley and prunes.

Soluble fiber can reduce the absorption of cholesterol into your bloodstream. Five to 10 grams or more of soluble fiber a day decreases your total and LDL cholesterol. Eating 1 1/2 cups of cooked oatmeal provides 6 grams of fiber. If you add fruit, such as bananas, you'll add about 4 more grams of fiber. To mix it up a little, try steel-cut oatmeal or cold cereal made with oatmeal or oat bran.

2. Fish and omega-3 fatty acids

Eating fatty fish can be heart healthy because of its high levels of omega-3 fatty acids, which can reduce your blood pressure and risk of developing blood clots. In people who have already had heart attacks, fish oil — or omega-3 fatty acids — reduces the risk of sudden death.

The American Heart Association recommends eating at least two servings of fish a week. The highest levels of omega-3 fatty acids are in:

Mackerel
    Lake trout
    Herring
    Sardines
    Albacore tuna
    Salmon
    Halibut

You should bake or grill the fish to avoid adding unhealthy fats. If you don't like fish, you can also get small amounts of omega-3 fatty acids from foods like ground flaxseed or canola oil.

I would skip the canola oil
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Forgot...I also eat a lot of fish...specifically salmon and tuna. I eat salmon and/or tuna 2-3 times per week...I keep my red meat intake to about once per week or so. Lots of fish and chicken. I also cook primarily with olive oil.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input so far. Just so you know. I eat quick rolled oats 7 days a week. Oatmeal may be the best diet food ever invented. I eat next to no red meats, and use next to no oils in food prep and rarely if ever eat fried foods. I've added red rice yeast. I don't like fish but I've added a fish oil supplement to Omega 3. I do a lot of weight lifting in addition to the cardio.

I'll certainly look into the CoQ10. At this point, I've certainly been cursing my parents and grandparents. They did this to me. lol. Of course no one in my family has ever had any issue with heart disease either so maybe stressing about the cholesterol numbers isn't really necessary either. But any other ideas are certainly appreciated.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to look into the plant sterols, too. The research is long time and quite impressive.
    Good luck!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input so far. Just so you know. I eat quick rolled oats 7 days a week. Oatmeal may be the best diet food ever invented. I eat next to no red meats, and use next to no oils in food prep and rarely if ever eat fried foods. I've added red rice yeast. I don't like fish but I've added a fish oil supplement to Omega 3. I do a lot of weight lifting in addition to the cardio.

I'll certainly look into the CoQ10. At this point, I've certainly been cursing my parents and grandparents. They did this to me. lol. Of course no one in my family has ever had any issue with heart disease either so maybe stressing about the cholesterol numbers isn't really necessary either. But any other ideas are certainly appreciated.
    try old fashioned oats mixed with quick and oat bran (about 1/3 each). that's what worked for me. I would mix it in a big container and every morning take about 3 Tablespoons mix with yogurt or water/milk.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/79/2/204.long compared moderate with low fat diets, and got better Total/HDL ratios with the higher fat version (33 vs 18% fat). Both were ~17 protein so the higher fat had less carbs.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/83/5/1025.long found an improvement in Total/HDL ratio by restricting carbohydrates.

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=415074 concluded that "A low-carbohydrate plant-based diet has lipid-lowering advantages over a high-carbohydrate, low-fat weight-loss diet in improving heart disease risk factors not seen with conventional low-fat diets with animal products."

"Food" for thought.
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for any suggestions for any dietary supplementation ideas people might have above and beyond what I'm currently trying. Here's the situation. Last year at my physical, when I was about at the high point of my weight and worst point of my diet and exercise (or lack thereof), I was at about 200 pounds, my total cholesterol was at 197, my LDL was about 130, my HDL was at 37. This year after many months of exercise, including aerobic and strength training, getting my diet well controlled with good clean eating (no fried foods, minimal fats), my weight was down to about 170, but my total cholesterol was 197, my LDL was about 130 and my HDL was at 37. Nada, zip, zilch. No changes at all. They wouldn't budge. In spite of diet improvement and exercise improvement. The doc doesn't think they are serious enough to consider statins at this time. But we are trying fish oil, a rapid release niacin, and red rice yeast. to see if we can at least move the needle a little.

So does anybody have any other suggestions of things to try diet or supplementation wise that might help even a little?

TIA.

who told you that your cholesterol numbers are bad? they arent.. you are well in normal ranger for your age. Unless you have serious CVD in your family, you are fine.

Edit: only issue i have is your hdl, you need to get that up a tad. and never forget the triglyceride numbers. keep that bad boy down! also, LDL is made of 2 numbers... you need to get to a real doctor and find out the dense ldl number. thats the bad guy.
  • leonasmith77
    Options
    Try plant sterols. I have a similar story: after losing over 30 lb my cholesterol was still high and I really don't want to go on statins. So, I asked for three months. I started fish oil, plant sterols and red rice yeast. Blood tests showed LDL down about half of what the doctor wants to see, but I am trying another three months. I also was able to up the exercise after suffering an injury last summer. I did read that CoQ10 is helpful, as well.
    My doctor is convinced that my cholesterol levels are genetic, and was quite surprised that they had come down as much as they had. I'm not really expecting that big a drop again, but we will see.

I did the same thing. Plant sterols really helped me keep my cholesterol levels down. Unknown to most people, you can manage bad cholesterol easily by choosing the right types of fat. You need to swap the bad fat with goof fat. There are a lot of cholesterol lowering products available these days, so do make it a point to choose right. One of the products that I'm really excited about is the Flora spread. It's the best alternative to regular oil or butter.
  • leonasmith77
    Options
    old fashioned oats can work wonders! It doesn't just keep your cholesterol down, it can also keep you on the right track with your diet.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    My dad had success with cutting out all milk from his diet and cutting down on dairy products. Could be a connection to the saturated-fat perhaps?
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    increase egg, monounsaturated fats, you already weightlift
  • leonasmith77
    Options
    Perhaps!

Just so you know, you can get healthier alternatives to dairy products, like Flora, that can lower cholesterol. Hope he gets good results!
  • DatMurse
    Options
    I also wanted to let you know. that if you maintain a healthy lifestyle cholesterol is not always an accurate indicator.

Look at the French Paradox.

Avg cholesterol in france is 205 and avg in Colombia is 245. they have lower death of heart disease than countries who have a lower sat fat intake. obviously their cholesterol is higher as well
  • DatMurse
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1768013/

bring it to your next doctor visit and ask him for his input.

this is a legit study
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal and fiber.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

My husband has had a lot of success with fish oil in getting triglycerides down, so hopefully that'll work for you. I do wonder if the quick rolled oats are as heart healthy as the non-quick oats, though? I'd think they'd have less fiber, but maybe I'm wrong.

I was lucky enough that my numbers responded really well to changes in exercise and diet (LDL from 119 to 88, woot!), but before they did, one of my doctors was telling me about a test called a cardiac calcium scan--basically it's like a CAT scan of your heart and they can see the level of calcium deposits, which is your real risk factor for heart disease. She said insurance doesn't pay for it, and it costs a few hundred dollars, but it's a way of assessing risk that can help you avoid statins if that's your goal. She had had the test done as her total cholesterol is over 200 despite being very thin, and it showed she had no deposits, so she doesn't personally take statins.