How can I kick the Carbs?!

Options
2»

Replies

• kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    To set your food diary to public, click the food tab at top, then click the settings tab at top to right, then scroll down the page, there is a spot to change who views your food diary. Change it to public, then all can see.

I do eat low carbs (100 or less per day, actual carbs, Net carbs are 50 to 80). One thing you need to know, if you want to do low carbs, you have to do higher fat, otherwise it does not work. You should also keep track of your potassium, for lots of low carbers do not get enough. Should be 4,700mg, but MFP sets it at 3,

Before any of you start to give me flack, I have to eat low carb due to being diabetic.

I highly believe that carbs gives an addiction to people. Once you get away from them for approx, 2 to 3 weeks, you don't crave them any more. Those cravings are like quitting smoking and all you can think about is that cigarette you can't have. It is the same for carbs. But it does get easier as time goes on.

I have an open food diary if you or anyone else wants to take a peek. I eat 5 to 6 times a day. I eat between 1200 to 1500 calories a day (mostly closer to the 1200). I will add more in calories once I start to do more in workouts.
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    mfp sets potassium at 3,500... not 3. that was a typeo
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    bdunk011 wrote: »
    ukaryote wrote: »
    Questions first: Why do you want to reduce the carbohydrates?
    Lower calorie intake?
    Better macro balance?
    Simple vs complex carbohydrates?
    Following a particular plan?
    I'm foklowing a plan. The site i visit online gave a specific percentage to loosing weight. Carb 40 protien 60 fat 40

Yes, but why?
    And didn't the plan tell you exactly what to eat?
    And why choose to follow a plan that tries to make you eat 140%? Doesn't the impossibility of it make it sound untrustworthy?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    LuFindy wrote: »
    I didn't realise how many carbs I was eating, I thought I was eating quite healthy. Would any of you like to friend me and tell me where I am going wrong with my carbs and what I could eat alternatively. Does anyone else work an office job like me and find it hard to find food to eat that isn't a sandwich?

Thanks!

Carbs aren't bad for you. Fruit and veggies are carbs. Whole grains are. Beans have lots of carbs.

That said, I like to balance my meals so they aren't primarily carbs--I like to make sure I get in sufficient fat and protein and also that some of my carbs at each meal are veggies. Sandwiches can be okay for this if you watch the proportion and have lean meat and not an overwhelming amount of bread. I like to have soup or salad too, for the veggies, with maybe a half sandwich depending on the protein content.

What is even easier for me, though, is to bring lunch in tupperware and forget the sandwich (because I don't think the bread adds anything--if you love sandwiches, fit them in). Today mine has plenty of carbs, but is some turkey I slow cooked, brussels sprouts, and a mix of roasted carrots and sweet potatoes. You can control the proportion of everything this way. Another great and easy lunch (which you can also buy depending on what you want and what your lunch options are) is a salad with protein on it. Just be careful about the dressing if you don't make your own.