Juice fasting

Options

Replies

• Krau
    Krau Posts: 20
    Options
    I completely understand the principle of the conservation of matter. I know that a juiced apple is not any more or less nutrient dense than the whole apple. I get MORE nutrients through juice based on that fact that I am consuming a much larger amount of produce by consuming PART of what I intake as juice, rather than eating with my meals. I could never eat all of what I juice in a day. There wouldn't be enough room! But I can juice that large quantity of produce and drink it in the morning in addition to my light breakfast (usually whole grain toast with honey or a banana) and then sometimes, just because I love the TASTE of the juice I make, I'll drink some in the afternoon as well.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I do a "juice cleanse" every January 1st for about 4-5 days. Afterward my tummy feels de-bloated, my skin is clear of blemishes and glows, I kick cravings for salt and caffeine and as a bonus I drop the bulge I gained over the holiday period.

I don't think anyone should be shaming you for wanting to do a bit of a detox, it's your body and your choice. As long as you feel ok and it's not for an extended period of time, do as you please.

Your body doesn't need detoxing because it does it all by itself.
  • Krau
    Options
    Going over calories keeps getting mentioned as well and I put my juices into my food log like anything else and I stay within my calorie goals just fine and I am able to still lose weight.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm fasting on gin and lime juice. Does that count?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Only if you juiced the lime yourself. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Krau wrote: »
    I completely understand the principle of the conservation of matter. I know that a juiced apple is not any more or less nutrient dense than the whole apple. I get MORE nutrients through juice based on that fact that I am consuming a much larger amount of produce by consuming PART of what I intake as juice, rather than eating with my meals. I could never eat all of what I juice in a day. There wouldn't be enough room! But I can juice that large quantity of produce and drink it in the morning in addition to my light breakfast (usually whole grain toast with honey or a banana) and then sometimes, just because I love the TASTE of the juice I make, I'll drink some in the afternoon as well.

"Once our nutrient needs are met, we don’t get extra credit for eating more nutritious food" Eric Helms
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Juicing does have it's benefits- rapid weight loss, curb cravings, increased energy...but it's also expensive, boring, anti-social, time consuming and unsustainable.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

but if juicing removes the parts of the food that aren't juice, aren't you just wasting food? you're extracting the juice and throwing out the rest.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother if your throwing the pulp (most nutritious part), in the trash....
  • Krau
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

"Once our nutrient needs are met, we don’t get extra credit for eating more nutritious food! - Eric Helms"

Yes, that quote is true, but the average person does not meet their nutrient needs. When I don't juice, I get cravings because something is not being met for my needs and then I turn to unhealthy foods when I have cravings. When I drink juice, I don't crave those things so obviously it is assisting in my nutrient goals being met. So I'm more than willing to drink one serving of juice most days of the week to stay on track with healthy habits.
  • Krau
    Options
    You can use pulp in recipes, you can compost it to be reused later in your garden. There are many articles out there that give you ideas of how to use your pulp. Some people feed it to their chickens as well. So if you are reusing it then you are wasting nothing.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I typically juice a bag of spinach, a lemon, 4 apples, 4 celery stalks, ginger, and cilantro. All of which have nutrients in them. Juicing them does not make them magically have more nutrients but it does allow me to get a larger portion of fruits in veggies in one drink that I can have in the morning. Dark leafy greens are very nutrient dense and I'm pretty sure I couldn't eat an entire bag of spinach in a day. I also eat my greens and other fruits and vegetables. So, I stand by my claim that drinking a juice that I make and I know exactly what is in it adds to the amount of nutrients that I take into my body in any given day. I do not buy juice, I do not participate in any gimmick diets. I have lost 60 pounds over 2 years through good diet and exercise alone.

That's not what you said.

"Juicing is actually helping you ADD important nutrients. You are not losing them."

Uh, yes, you are losing fiber which is VERY important. Not enough fiber and you'll end up like me - getting part of your colon removed because you crapped bricks which caused pockets to develop that get infected repeatedly.

yikes. this made me look at my fiber history on my food diary and it's not good. i need to rectify this.
  • Christine_72
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes bit you're missing out on vital nutrients!! You're pretty much drinking sugar water..
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Juice fasting...I have a real job, where I have to do work every day, often away from any bathroom for hours. I have appointments, and can't just decide to leave work, at random, due to some "intestinal" issue.

I often wonder if people who juice fast have real jobs...
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Juice fasting...I have a real job, where I have to do work every day, often away from any bathroom for hours. I have appointments, and can't just decide to leave work, at random, due to some "intestinal" issue.

but if they're throwing away the pulp then they are missing out on the fibre. So moot point really

• Krau
    Options
    Taken from Joe Cross's website. http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/juicing/benefits/

"How does it work? Juicing removes the insoluble fiber from vegetables and fruits. While fiber is an established, important part of an overall healthy diet, removing the insoluble fiber allows for increased absorption of specific health promoting phytonutrients including enzymes, while the soluble fiber persists into the juice. By removing the fibers and consuming fruits and vegetables in liquid form, we are providing a nutrient delivery system to our bodies that allows individuals who would otherwise have difficulty consuming whole vegetables, the opportunity to reap the numerous benefits vegetables have to offer."
  • Krau
    Options
    I work, attend college full time, and am a mother to twin boys. I manage to take the time and effort to juice and have no "intestinal issues" as you mentioned

I work, attend college full time, and am a mother to twin boys. I manage to take the time and effort to juice and have no "intestinal issues" as you mentioned. I also don't "juice fast" though. I incorporate juice into my healthy diet.
  • Krau
    Options
    Taken from: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/blog/what-do-i-do-with-leftover-juice-pulp/

"1. Blend pulp into a smoothie to add fiber.
    2. Add to a soup to thicken and boost fiber and nutrient density.
    3. Use fruit pulp to make frozen “pulpsicles” or fruit pulp ice.
    4. Make a veggie broth by boiling pulp with water, herbs, and spices, then straining.
    5. Make a “fruit tea” by boiling fruit pulp with water, adding spices such as cinnamon or ginger, cooling, and then straining.
    6. Use veggie pulp to add nutrient density to mac n’ cheese or pasta sauce, or layer into a lasagne.
    7. Make fabulous fruit leathers.
    9. Use in homemade veggie burgers or fritters. Pulp adds moisture, flavor, and nutrition.
    10. Mix pulp into baked goods like muffins, cakes, bread, dehydrated or baked cookies, and granola bars. Celery, onion, carrot, sweet potato, spinach, apple, and berry all work beautifully.
    11. Use fruit or veggie pulp to add flavor, texture, and moisture to pancakes.
    12. Make dehydrated pulp crackers.
    13. Use pulp for raw pizza crust.
    14. Make pulp marmalade.
    15. Make a pulp crumble by mixing pulp with fruit and juice, reducing, and then topping with oats, spices, nuts, or seeds.
    16. Dehydrate and make trail mix with raw nuts, seeds, and dried fruits.
    17. Dehydrate and use like bread crumbs.
    18. Use in DIY skincare recipes like scrubs, masks, and soap.
    19. Mix pulp into your dog’s food or make dog treats.
    If all else fails:
    20. Feed it to your chickens, freeze it in ice cube trays to use later, or compost it."

I get my fiber from the FOOD that I EAT. But if you are not wanting to waste any part of what you are juicing, there are numerous ways to not waste!
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

As long as you include a balanced diet, that's what the cereal company's say too.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Taken from Joe Cross's website. http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/juicing/benefits/

"How does it work? Juicing removes the insoluble fiber from vegetables and fruits. While fiber is an established, important part of an overall healthy diet, removing the insoluble fiber allows for increased absorption of specific health promoting phytonutrients including enzymes, while the soluble fiber persists into the juice. By removing the fibers and consuming fruits and vegetables in liquid form, we are providing a nutrient delivery system to our bodies that allows individuals who would otherwise have difficulty consuming whole vegetables, the opportunity to reap the numerous benefits vegetables have to offer."

*face palm*

There is nothing wrong with fiber, and it doesn't keep you from absorbing anything. It helps move waste matter along in your bowels and is important to help keep you regular. If you have a GI problem that makes fiber an issue you should be consulting a doctor not juicing. Actually most people don't get enough fiber in their diets, which is how I ended up where I am at - one more day before my pre-op prep begins.