birth control and losing weight...thoughts please.

Options
13»

Replies

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Lorraine, I remember vividly the frustration, the embarassment of having to describe the symptoms to my doctor, the reluctant acceptance that I should give it a "fair shake," and then the insistence that it be removed from my body. It took a month or so to start returning to normal, but it's a memory for me now - and will be for you, too. I'm sorry you are going through this. Nobody goes to the trouble of putting that thing in - dealing with the side effects for however many months - just to go back to the doc and have them remove it. Awful experience.
  • chaitrex
    chaitrex Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This is different for everyone. Even on a low dose bcp, weight creeps on fast. Like, 15 lbs in one summer fast. My body can't deal with the estrogen. Progesterone only pills worked well for me, asides from my breasts getting bigger (and super tender ouch). I never tried depo, but that's also progesterone only, and I lot of people like it. Of course, if it starts causing side effects, you have to wait out the three months...eek.
    Many opt for progesterone only pills? You have to be really good about taking it at the same time every day, but I found that to be easy by setting an alarm on my phone.
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I also have that implant in my arm due to come out this October. I didn't gain any weight with it & have had no trouble losing since I started my weight loss journey. It's all about how the BC affects your specific body. My best friend has it also & she put on 35lbs with it.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I use the Nuva Ring. I love it. No pill to remember every day, no nausea and vomiting if I took it without enough food, no side effects to speak of. (I had a lot of problems with pills-- insomnia, acne, moodiness. No weight issues, though.)