Scale Down and Contrave

Options

Replies

• akalynnm
    akalynnm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello CassieS2784. I am at full strength and take 2 in the morning and 2 when I get home in the evening - all together. If I didn't do that I feel like I would miss a dose and that might really foul things up. Great job on the 6 pounds, it's not easy, but the medicine taking away the hunger feeling really helps.
  • mclawler75
    mclawler75 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently started this drug as well. My insurance company has a 6 month medical weight loss requirement before you can consider bariatric surgery, and this covers it. Hopefully the drug and MFP will be enough for me to lose some weight, my problem is always keeping it off.

I'm just about done with week one, so far no side effects that I've noticed.
  • akalynnm
    Options
    I think I have maxed out on the easy loss, down 50,7 lbs today, but it is definitely getting harder. I have had a few fails lately in the willpower. I wish I could go off the drug for a month and then back on so I could feel the overwhelming effect it had on me in the beginning.... How has everyone else been doing?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Oh, this makes me sad. Pills don't make you lose weight. Eating at a calorie deficit makes you lose weight. Are you going to take pills for the rest of your life? What happens when you stop taking the pills and you haven't learned to control the eating that made you overweight in the first place?
  • akalynnm
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Oh, this makes me sad. Pills don't make you lose weight. Eating at a calorie deficit makes you lose weight. Are you going to take pills for the rest of your life? What happens when you stop taking the pills and you haven't learned to control the eating that made you overweight in the first place?

I agree that pills don't make you lose weight, but they can "help" provide the resolve and the fortitude to stay on task to achieve a goal. This pill is not burning the calories for me, I wish it were that easy. I understand your statement about calorie deficit and losing weight but it is so much more than that. It is about leading an active lifestyle and staying fit. Some of us have not done so well at that - myself due to injury - and we are trying to get back on track. Being able to feel full quicker and to mentally win the battle has provided me the initiative and energy to try to become fit again. I have friends who fail 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They eat like crap with calorie intakes twice what I ever dreamed of. They are not active unless you consider swinging a club and then climbing back into the golf cart and grabbing another beer active....and they are skinny as a rail and could easily blow away in a strong wind. Unfortunately many of us have not been blessed with the same metabolism and body make-up. Do not be "sad", just support that we are trying to make the life-style changes and need a little help to get us over the hurdles. Those who critique and judge are a huge contributor to the problem and will only turn many away from making any attempt at all.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    akalynnm wrote: »

I agree that pills don't make you lose weight, but they can "help" provide the resolve and the fortitude to stay on task to achieve a goal. This pill is not burning the calories for me, I wish it were that easy. I understand your statement about calorie deficit and losing weight but it is so much more than that. It is about leading an active lifestyle and staying fit. Some of us have not done so well at that - myself due to injury - and we are trying to get back on track. Being able to feel full quicker and to mentally win the battle has provided me the initiative and energy to try to become fit again. I have friends who fail 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They eat like crap with calorie intakes twice what I ever dreamed of. They are not active unless you consider swinging a club and then climbing back into the golf cart and grabbing another beer active....and they are skinny as a rail and could easily blow away in a strong wind. Unfortunately many of us have not been blessed with the same metabolism and body make-up. Do not be "sad", just support that we are trying to make the life-style changes and need a little help to get us over the hurdles. Those who critique and judge are a huge contributor to the problem and will only turn many away from making any attempt at all.

No, no, no. Being 'active' and exercising is for fitness, and fitness alone. It can create a larger calorie deficit, but really, that is not how to lose weight. Anyone who is disabled and unable to exercise at all is entirely able to lose weight without the aid of pills. If you feel a pill gives you resolve and fortitude, take a low-dose Bayer aspirin every day.
    Getting back on track with weight loss involves one thing and one thing only - eating in a calorie deficit. It has nothing to do with being 'blessed' with any kind of metabolism or body makeup, so stop using that as a crutch. Buy a food scale, calculate your calorie deficit, weigh all of your solid foods. Learning to eat the foods you like in moderation is the key to long-term success, not taking pills.
  • akalynnm
    Options

No, no, no. Being 'active' and exercising is for fitness, and fitness alone. It can create a larger calorie deficit, but really, that is not how to lose weight. Anyone who is disabled and unable to exercise at all is entirely able to lose weight without the aid of pills. If you feel a pill gives you resolve and fortitude, take a low-dose Bayer aspirin every day.
    Getting back on track with weight loss involves one thing and one thing only - eating in a calorie deficit. It has nothing to do with being 'blessed' with any kind of metabolism or body makeup, so stop using that as a crutch. Buy a food scale, calculate your calorie deficit, weigh all of your solid foods. Learning to eat the foods you like in moderation is the key to long-term success, not taking pills.

If I could figure out how to roll me eyes on here I would. Did I mention that those who judge and critique are a big part of the problem.....
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

This advice is a win and I hope someone takes it on board because beating being overweight for life is amazingly empowering and that success is rarely found in the might of dieting industry marketing to the desperate
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Cosign.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

If I could figure out how to roll me eyes on here I would. Did I mention that those who judge and critique are a big part of the problem.....

That is such a shame.

Good luck

You're going to need it
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I agree that pills don't make you lose weight, but they can "help" provide the resolve and the fortitude to stay on task to achieve a goal. .

Wait- you need a pill to have some intestinal fortitude.

Wow. hope nothing in your life gets overwhelming and difficult- you're going to be in for a bumpy ride.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I agree that pills don't make you lose weight, but they can "help" provide the resolve and the fortitude to stay on task to achieve a goal. .

Wait- you need a pill to have some intestinal fortitude.

Wow. hope nothing in your life gets overwhelming and difficult- you're going to be in for a bumpy ride.

This. A weight loss drug is a temporary solution to a permanent problem. Ongoing weight management is needed for the formerly overweight. You can't stay on the pills forever, and you're going to need to find fortitude somewhere else.

This is all being said to help you realize that using the pills is enabling you to avoid facing some of the issues behind your eating habits and they're also blocking you from forming the new habits needed to sustain a better pattern of continued eating that you'll need for ongoing success.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I agree that an active lifestyle is a great help, for me my burn rate is off the normal charts (over 20cal/lb each day) due to being highly active but you don't need exercise to maintain a caloric deficit. I would hate to do it by diet alone but it can be done and many certainly do it.

Not sure how you know what all your friends are doing 24/7 but I assume you think they are inactive and eating a lot and maybe they are but they are obviously maintaining their energy balance since they aren't gaining weight. Maybe they are taking drugs or secretly working out behind your back or even just not eating much when you don't see them, I don't know and I'm guessing you don't either, but if you saw my eat some of my meals you would think I should be a hundred pounds heavier.

As for your last sentence, if people are going to determine their health, the most important thing in your life, by the views others have of a diet pill then they aren't ready to committ to the lifestyle change necessary to lose weight and sustain that loss over time.

I wish you luck in your pursuit of your weight loss and how you choice to do it is up to you, but please choose wisely, you only have one life and one body.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

I'm on wellbutrin / bupropion for depression - it is basically one half of what goes into making contrave (naltrexone being the other half). All it does is force free floating levels of neuropenphrine up, which reduces depression (makes willpower a little easier for eat less), and in particular targets the areas of depression that have to do with movement, so it ups the move more side of it. It won't change anything about your metabolism.
    For most of my life, I too, though that some people really truly burn a lot more calories, even doing nothing. Actual scientific evidence shows this is generally not true - 95% of the population's base metabolism is within +/-200 calories. What can change drastically is either calorie intake or TDEE. Repeated studies have shown that people who feel they have a low metabolism under-report their food intake - even if they use a scale and know someone else will have recorded and verified their entries with a scale too. There is probably a similar habit of people who "eat whatever they want without gaining weight" to have the flip side (they'd probably over-report what they ate if asked), but not much research is concerned with that.
    No one here is saying stop taking Contrave or that it won't help you. What they are saying is that Contrave won't change any fundamentals. Personally, while I find Wellbutrin helps with willpower, I find willpower is a fool's game - it is a finite resource, why waste it on something as silly as what you eat? What you have an unlimited power for is planning, and a good plan leaves you needing to use willpower to go against it.
  • JBScroggs
    JBScroggs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So I know I'm new to this board, but it seems to me that those of you who are judging others are the real problem. Support is what we need not people who think they know better, for one until you walk a mile in my shoes you can't judge me.

When I was in college I was very active I would wake up every morning at 4 go for a run, ( 2-3 miles) then I'd go to class when I'd get home I'd go for another run, then go to work at 4pm, when I got home from work I'd go for another run around 10:30-11 pm each run was 2-3 miles. Now here's the kicker I had challenged myself to be a vegetarian for one year, so I was eating extremely healthy. ( I cut out red meat, chicken and pork) I would eat eggs an fish. I was so proud of myself I had gotten down to a good weight.( lost 30 lbs in 3 months) within one month I put back on those 30lbs and felt horrible, was still eating healthy and working out but I was worn out. Could not figure out what was wrong. Went to the dr for my yearly and found out I had a thyroid problem. That explains why I felt so bad and the weight gain. For the last 5 years I have been fighting this weight. I would lose 10lbs then gain 15, it was very discouraging. I would eat healthy, count calories work out everyday and nothing would change. Well thankfully I had a great support system my fiancé who is now my husband didn't care how much I weighed but he saw that it was an issue for me. When I went back to my Dr. In November ( 2014) I told him I was tired of feeling like a failure when it came to my weight loss. I also had a huge goal, I wanted to lose weight for my wedding that was coming up in June. He told me about contrave and that it would only work if I ate right an worked out. At this point I just wanted to lose 10lbs an keep it off. Well let's fast forward to June of this year. I hit my official weight loss of 25lbs. I feel wonderful about myself and the choices I've made. And to be honest I know that I couldn't have lost the weight without contrave. So for those of you who are just starting keep up the work, even if you don't see the results for yourself know that you will gain more self esteem by learning how to lose weight. And for those of you that don't believe a pill can help, do your research on this. With contrave it has side effects if you eat to much fat such as fried foods( it says it may cause seizures) it also warns you about not working out, that with out physical activity the weight will not drop off. And I don't know about you but if I'm spending 60-75 a month in a pull and it's not working I'm gonna try harder to do what is required of me for it to work.

For those of you who are getting sick after taking it, dizziness ect. Try eating a little something first then take the pill. I had the same problem and eating a piece of fruit or toast helped. Also, I forgot my contrave while on my honeymoon where I did not eat right but was still going for walks an swimming I gained 3 lbs and once I got home an back to my normal routine the 3lbs were gone in 3 days. I guess what I'm saying is the pill has made a huge impact on me, and I'm thankful that my husband and family have supported me. I also believe that when the time comes for me to not take the pill I will be able to maintain my weight. Oh yea the my fitness pal has been a great help to, having to log everything helps you see what works an what doesn't. Best of luck to everyone!
  • MacksFisher
    MacksFisher Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me what the weight capacity is on the Scale Down scale they send you?
  • wickedfun
    wickedfun Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me what the weight capacity is on the Scale Down scale they send you?

397 lbs
  • french528
    french528 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started using Contrave 3 days ago and was looking to join a group, is there one on here that I can join?
  • mccindy72
    Options
    french528 wrote: »
    I started using Contrave 3 days ago and was looking to join a group, is there one on here that I can join?

Unlikely. MFP frowns on promoting spam products that are gimmicks and not necessary for weight loss.