Scale Down and Contrave

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I am in my fifth week of Contrave and Scale Down. I have always keep away from weight loss pills and fad diets. I am not a binge eater but I do get satisfaction from eating certain foods. I have a behavioral addiction similar to gambling or electronic gaming addiction. A friend of mine was treated for gambling addiction. At first he took medication and now goes to a support group. Some would tell him to just stop placing bets. This is like telling a alcoholic to just stop drinking. They did not understand addiction.
    Many have told me to stop eating too much and get the cravings out of my head. I know that food itself is not addictive and calling it a food addiction is a poor term and call it what you want but some of us are non-substance behavioral addicts. Non substance addiction is a DSM classified medical illness.
    Contrave is a prescribed medication to reduce the satisfaction one gets from eating. The anti-depressant component has been prescribed for binge eating and the other component for substance addition. It reduces the satisfaction we get from eating and eliminates cravings. Like my friend I will get off this medication and will need support the rest of my life.
    Scale down is the support component to treatment. Weighing every day is a bother but is part of our treatment. The daily text message and weekly video is also part of the treatment. Calorie deficit is a must for weight loss. This medication only targets our behavior. MFP helps me achieve the calorie deficit and is another support group.

Ninjacakegirl: I also had trouble finding a level floor for my scale. When you move it use one foot and place about 30 pound of force on it and then step off. It will zero and not transmit your weight.

Then instead of using drugs to just cover up your problem, actually treat the problem itself. There's a reason you turned to food to begin with. Get therapy to figure that out and solve the actual problem, cure yourself, and you won't have the overeating issue anymore.
  • BettieTravels
    BettieTravels Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My hope was that this forum would be encouraging, a great support system. It certainly has the potential to be. However, after reading all of the posts, it is a mixed blessing. For some, this forum is no more than a venue to vent, judge and harshly criticize others.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    My hope was that this forum would be encouraging, a great support system. It certainly has the potential to be. However, after reading all of the posts, it is a mixed blessing. For some, this forum is no more than a venue to vent, judge and harshly criticize others.

Actually Bettie, I think this forum is pretty great. Hope you feel better after venting, yourself.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

There are few that are actually as you accuse, take some time to actually read the information and you will see that many here that you judge harshly as such are really trying hard to provide support through proper disclosure of the facts and current state of our knowledge. It's a mistake to think that "support" has to be 100% affirmation of one's statements especially when those statments are not consistent with the facts. How many times in our lives have we seen those who "support" us by only affirming us have done us little good and maybe even harm and those who have challenged us are the ones who really helped us?

If you aren't challenged in your beliefs you will never quetion them and figure out why what you are doing isn't working.
  • teresadutton
    teresadutton Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    bliss1267 wrote: »
    So perhaps you should educate yourself about why people chose to get some help and stop judging people when you obviously don't know about it. Of course the only way to lose is by reducing calories and exercising. That's what people who take contrave do. Contrave helps reduce cravings and helps you shift focus away from obsessing over the food psychologically and feel better overall. So then you can simply eat to live and NOT live to eat and lose weight by reducing calories and exercising. There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting help to get through it. Stop judging. Why are you even posting on a thread where they ask for people who have done this? You just came here to judge.
    I can contribute. I've lost 116+ lbs and i do it obviously by reducing calories and exercising, but I'm hungry all the time and crave foods horribly. That doesn't stop me from losing weight but my doctor suggested I try Contrave to help me in my journey and I'm so glad she did. The cravings are gone and I'm not focusing on food all the time.'I eat my three meals and put my focus on life and activities and I feel better overall. No side effects and I'm glad it's helping while I lose the weight by eating right and exercising.
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Oh, this makes me sad. Pills don't make you lose weight. Eating at a calorie deficit makes you lose weight. Are you going to take pills for the rest of your life? What happens when you stop taking the pills and you haven't learned to control the eating that made you overweight in the first place?

THIS!! I could not have said it better myself!!

• MacksFisher
    MacksFisher Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been on Contrave since July 14th. As of today I have lost 55 lbs. I would not have been able to lose that weight without that pill. I could not even begin to care what someone else thinks about me using Contrave. As long as it is not physically damaging me I will continue to take it. Some people need this, some people don't.
  • sapphirewind
    sapphirewind Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. I normally don't trust OTC "diet pills" This is "prescription only"? What is th weight minimum? I am close to my target but still considered "overweight". I have lost 16-18lbs myself through exercise and attempting to diet - however I don't often know what's in my food as I'm in a foreign country where most people don't speak my language. I believe I have Seasonal Defective Disorder (SDD) as every winter it is more difficult for me to go outside and be active in the cold. So, since the goal of this drug is MOTIVATIONAL and to WILLPOWER and NOT really an appetite suppressant but works with the mental issues with craving foods... which I rarely have... but I think this could help me lose the last 10 lbs or so plus help my mood as I can't take mood changing drugs or see a psychologist for depression with my current job (there is a HUGE stigma against mental health issues in this country).
  • MacksFisher
    Options
    I believe that Contrave is for people that are morbidly obese. When I was prescribed this I had at least 200 lbs to lose. I am sure that there are many psychological factors the drug works with to curb eating, but I can tell you that it does physically make me less hungry. If it's tricking my mind into telling me I'm not hungry that's fine with me. But I still have to decide not to eat. There have been times where even thought I am not hungry I wanted to eat something. On most occasions I don't, but every now & then I do. Like one day at work they ordered pizza for lunch from this place I love. I wasn't hungry at all but I grabbed a couple slices because I just wanted it. So it's not as if it has me under some kind of spell. I still need to choose not to eat sometimes when I want it even though I am not hungry
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    NM, old thread
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I believe that Contrave is for people that are morbidly obese. When I was prescribed this I had at least 200 lbs to lose. I am sure that there are many psychological factors the drug works with to curb eating, but I can tell you that it does physically make me less hungry. If it's tricking my mind into telling me I'm not hungry that's fine with me. But I still have to decide not to eat. There have been times where even thought I am not hungry I wanted to eat something. On most occasions I don't, but every now & then I do. Like one day at work they ordered pizza for lunch from this place I love. I wasn't hungry at all but I grabbed a couple slices because I just wanted it. So it's not as if it has me under some kind of spell. I still need to choose not to eat sometimes when I want it even though I am not hungry

This describes most of us, I think. We overeat because food is there, because it's delicious, because we want it, not because we are hungry and/or need food. We have to choose whether to eat or not to eat.
  • MacksFisher
    Options
    Until I started on Contrave I chose to eat. Now I don't
  • penylayn
    penylayn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started the medication two weeks ago and got my scale last Friday. At first I was creeped out by the first text message saying "your scale is connected" but as of this morning I have lost 8.6 lbs since Saturday. I like the text messages that are encouraging and mindful. Being competitive I love to get that you lost X today! It's like having a personal coach to encourage and give good reminders.
    As far as Contrave, I see others say that they stop eating sooner and I agree. I find I am fuller faster. I was previously taking Wellbutrin so did not have the worry of the side effects there, but I do respond to the Naltrexone and feel a little wonky if I take the four a day so I am taking three at the moment. I am pleased overall though.
  • penylayn
    penylayn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As for those who say that taking a pill does not work clearly does not understand the role that the brain and the complexities and role that neurotransmitters play in emotion and the functions of the body. Some do not have enough of particular ones and the medication bridges those gaps. Both medications that are in Contrave have been around for quite some time it's just the combination of them that was recently approved.

I fully agree that exercise is a key factor as well but what this program is doing is creating a lifestyle change over all. It doesn't say weight/measure it says recognize that if you aren't losing weight then the food choices you have made in that particular day were not good ones and to correct that to see movement. It's changing the lifestyle not becoming a food Nazi that will create permanent change.

Also, if others are finding success and feel that they need the medication then bravo for making an effort, for they are already miles above those who are still sitting on the couch wishing life were different. Keep on Keeping on folks.
  • kbob246
    kbob246 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Contrave is working for me, people can judge or think I'm "cheating by taking diet pills" or whatever, but what the don't realize is the size factor. When you are 100 lbs overweight, and your dr tells you, you need to consider gastric bypass, contrave is the more practical option. I know I don't have $16 for surgery. Nobody wants to take pills for anything, and yes, fixing things naturally is the wiser option, but I tried for years, and nothing helped, I just kept gaining and gaining. It was so depressing. I remember being on the phone with my sister, and she suggested gastric bypass, I felt de-humanized. Then she said I had a mental problem, and in order for me to ever lose weight, I needed to be emotionally stable first. That statement made alot of sense. I was TERRIBLY DEPRESSED, but I was resisting anti-depressants. Let me tell you, it's only been a few weeks and I feel alive again for the first time in YEARS. I actually want to get out of bed and make healthy choices, I look forward to cooking new healthy concoctions, and challenging myself at the gym. I certainly hope I don't have to take this medicine for the rest of my life, but for me, in the season that I am in, it's working, I'm exhilarated and pleasantly suprised.
  • kbob246
    kbob246 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    *$16,000.00
  • nicholelks1988
    nicholelks1988 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started Contrave 12/15/15 and I lost 17lbs the first month. I weighed 216lbs at 5'6" (female) and now am down to 199lbs. I eat healthy and as clean as possible and stick to water all day long. My issue was what I refer to as my "sugar addiction." You can say that isnt a real thing, but do your research. It would get to the point that if I didnt get my "fix" then I would be mean. I hated myself for eating it, and I hated myself when I didnt eat it. I didnt deserve to feel that way, my children didnt deserve it and neither did my husband. After seven years of struggling I sought help. I did my research and decided that since I had been on Welbutrin for depression and had no side effects, and the other medication in contrave is to treat addiction, I felt that this was the best bet for me. I am glad that I tried it. I never would had thought that losing weight would be so easy. After working out every day and being obsessive over what I eat and struggling with the self hate and depression, Contrave has FINALLY allowed me to live without focusing on food and how it affects me. It is a miserable way to live. I dont criticize anyone who needs help. I look forward to losing at least another fifty pounds so I can walk in and do classes like boxing or weight lifting or crossfit and not worry about my fat getting in my way, but being able to focus on being active and having fun. I have always been active and I have always loved it. I had my daughter in 2008 and the first year as a mom I didnt watch my weight or activity levels because I was focused on my daughter, which led me to put on sixty pounds that I never lost. And then over the years with dieting and exercising my weight would yo-yo and after I found out about my husbands infidelity this past June, I put on another fifteen pounds and depression hit hard. I know where my eating habits come from. People can tell you why they smoke cigarettes or snort cocaine, but that doesnt mean that they can make themselves quit. We do our best. Getting on these discussions and putting people down for doing what they neeed to do for THEIR bodies isnt helpful, even if you think you are helping. We know that we have to eat less and healthier and move more. If it were so easy, none of us would be overweight.
  • jupitersgirl61
    jupitersgirl61 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oct 2013 I had gastric sleeve procedure done after many years of saying I would not do it. My only regret is not having done this sooner. I went from a BMI of 53 to 36 in 6 months, weight of 338 to 205lbs. For the most part my world has been great/improved and I have most of my life back. No need for knee or hip surgery and it is so cool buying clothes in stores. I can now buy those cute shirts when I go on vacation some place. My spouse died a year after surgery and he was my biggest support system. He used to tell me prior to surgery that I needed to have a different attitude regarding food and after his death I have learned just what he is talking about. Contrave has been given to me so that I can lose that last 3o-40lbs. I view the drug the same as the surgery, it is life affirming. So far on week one and I have nausea at times. I am trying to figure out if it is particular foods or if it is a specific amount of carb or fat. I cant say that it has done anything to my appetite because the surgery removed the hunger hormone producing part of my stomach. good luck to all. Remember this is your journey, take what is helpful for you and leave the negative alone. Surround yourself with what is positive. Move, doesn't matter if you do 5 mins of exercise a few times a day, you are doing something good for you. Everyone has a down moment, get back up and keep going. best wish all.
  • paulabsc
    paulabsc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I started C on 11/2/2015. I just now it my 10% goal that Scaledown set for me. YIPPIE!!
    Hope you all are doing great on your journey as well.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Caloric deficit.

+ 800 million

if magic pills existed, no one would be fat
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    kbob246 wrote: »
    I was TERRIBLY DEPRESSED, but I was resisting anti-depressants. Let me tell you, it's only been a few weeks and I feel alive again for the first time in YEARS. I actually want to get out of bed and make healthy choices, I look forward to cooking new healthy concoctions, and challenging myself at the gym.

Well at the very least, it sounds like a lot of folks who should be on anti-depressants will be more willing to take this thing because they see it as a "weight loss pill" not an anti-depressant. Other than the placebo effect and of course being better able to tackle weight loss when you are treating your depression I don't know what the other half of this pill is purporting to do.

I am disappointed we live in a society where getting treatment for depression has such a huge stigma. And yet, taking a 'pill' to 'fix' your metabolism seems to be the thing everyone wants.