Anyone suffering from a Thyroid Issue?

Replies

• Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    runner475 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Why don't you try counting calories and getting exercise in the meantime just to see what happens?

Do you have thyroid?
    Do you know anyone who has thyroid?

If you are going to answer no to any or both these questions I would suggest stay out of this thread discussion.
    Thyroid if left untreated can be life threatening.

Lol.

I'm a registered nurse. I know plenty of people with thyroids. Some without. I'm pretty sure if a doctor thought that the OP, at 22 years old, had any kind of thyroid crisis going on, he/she would be acting on it.

However, I'm going to say that the new doctor wants to see if she actually can lose the weight on her own, before resorting to unnecessary testing and/or medication.

Lastly, I can post in a public forum whenever I please, but thank you for your suggestion.

As a nurse you should know better. Age has nothing to do with Thyroid.

Who is at risk for developing postpartum thyroiditis?
    Any woman with:

Autoimmune disorders (such as Type 1, or juvenile onset, Diabetes Mellitus)
    Positive anti-thyroid antibodies (risk correlates with antibody levels, the higher the antibody the higher the risk)
    History of previous thyroid dysfunction
    History of previous postpartum thyroiditis (20% of women will have recurrence of thyroiditis with subsequent pregnancies)
    Family history of thyroid dysfunction

http://www.thyroid.org/postpartum-thyroiditis/

I can't respond to person with half the knowledge. Poster you won't hear anymore from me.

^this chick has a strong google game

mother of dragons > MFP-MD

• squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    It really sucks when a doctor won't believe you. I don't really see the downside to running the test if you are willing. I mean, you (and your insurance) will be the one paying for it, so I don't get why not.

That said, hormones are often out of whack post-partum, so eat right for a bit and you'll be armed with more data you can provide this doctor if you still struggle with losing.

My mother is hypothyroid, and did not develop it until her 50s. She asked her doctor if she likely had this condition her whole life, and was told it is virtually impossible she had it as a young woman, and it is much more commonly something that comes with menopause. There are of course exceptions, but that is probably where your doctor is coming from- the statistical improbability.

Good luck!
  • LankyYankee
    LankyYankee Posts: 260 Member
    Why don't you try counting calories and getting exercise in the meantime just to see what happens?

^^^^^ This.

I too have Hashimotos, and I've been through 2 pregnancies. At the end of the day what you eat and how much exercise you get IS going to affect your weight. Having accurate information to share with your doctor is never a bad thing, and looking at what you're actually consuming can be quite eye opening (I know it was for me). Exercise is also a great way to release those FABULOUS endorphins which WILL help with your energy level and your mood, regardless of what you may or may not be suffering from.

I believe there are also some groups out there for people who have these disorders, perhaps you might want to check them out. I'd caution against thinking this is the only or most important reason you are having difficulty though, it might just be another piece in the puzzle that makes your struggles unique to you.

Good luck OP

• EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member

Do you have thyroid?

If you are going to answer no to any or both these questions I would suggest stay out of this thread discussion.

Lol.

I'm a registered nurse. I know plenty of people with thyroids. Some without. I'm pretty sure if a doctor thought that the OP, at 22 years old, had any kind of thyroid crisis going on, he/she would be acting on it.

However, I'm going to say that the new doctor wants to see if she actually can lose the weight on her own, before resorting to unnecessary testing and/or medication.

Lastly, I can post in a public forum whenever I please, but thank you for your suggestion.

Any woman with:

Positive anti-thyroid antibodies (risk correlates with antibody levels, the higher the antibody the higher the risk)
    History of previous postpartum thyroiditis (20% of women will have recurrence of thyroiditis with subsequent pregnancies)

I can't respond to person with half the knowledge. Poster won't hear anymore from me.

Aaaaaand since we know NOTHING of the OP's medical history, you can't play white knight here.

Just to clarify, you are saying she shouldn't at least try to count calories or exercise? She should wait for her doctor to believe her and draw blood? Just making sure that's what you're saying here, because that's totally ridiculous.

Owned-IsraeliTank.jpg
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member

^^^^^ This.

I too have Hashimotos, and I've been through 2 pregnancies. At the end of the day what you eat and how much exercise you get IS going to affect your weight. Having accurate information to share with your doctor is never a bad thing, and looking at what you're actually consuming can be quite eye opening (I know it was for me). Exercise is also a great way to release those FABULOUS endorphins which WILL help with your energy level and your mood, regardless of what you may or may not be suffering from.

I believe there are also some groups out there for people who have these disorders, perhaps you might want to check them out. I'd caution against thinking this is the only or most important reason you are having difficulty though, it might just be another piece in the puzzle that makes your struggles unique to you.

Good luck OP

But do you even know anyone with a Thyroid!?
  • NotShena
    NotShena Posts: 172 Member
    Docmahi wrote: »

Do you have thyroid?

Lol.

Any woman with:

I can't respond to person with half the knowledge. Poster you won't hear anymore from me.

Trust him, he's a doctor.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member

Do you have thyroid?

Lol.

Any woman with:

I can't respond to person with half the knowledge. Poster won't hear anymore from me.

Aaaaaand since we know NOTHING of the OP's medical history, you can't play white knight here.

Just to clarify, you are saying she shouldn't at least try to count calories or exercise? She should wait for her doctor to believe her and draw blood? Just making sure that's what you're saying here.

THAT earned you three flags? Seriously?

It COULD be a thyroid issue. No one is saying it isn't, but walking into the doctor's office and saying "This one chick on the internet said it was my thyroid. Do all the tests," isn't going to be nearly as effective as walking in with a food diary listing everything OP has eaten and all of the exercising that has been done. Let the doctor make an INFORMED decision on her medical treatment.

THE HORROR!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member

Do you have thyroid?

Lol.

Any woman with:

Just to clarify, you are saying she shouldn't at least try to count calories or exercise? She should wait for her doctor to believe her and draw blood? Just making sure that's what you're saying here.

It COULD be a thyroid issue. No one is saying it isn't, but walking into the doctor's office and saying "This one chick on the internet said it was my thyroid. Do all the tests," isn't going to be nearly as effective as walking in with a food diary listing everything OP has eaten and all of the exercising that has been done. Let the doctor make an INFORMED decision on her medical treatment.

THE HORROR!

Meh, it's still January. I'm not surprised.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member

Do you have thyroid?

giphy.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

Do you have thyroid?

Lol.

Any woman with:

THE HORROR!

This is why the flagging system needs to go..or be revised at the least.
  • srslybritt

Do you have thyroid?

Lol.

Any woman with:

THE HORROR!

The gall of some posters, suggesting the OP count calories on a calorie counting website.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member

Do you have thyroid?

Lol.

Any woman with:

I can't respond to person with half the more knowledge. Poster you won't hear anymore from me.

FIFY
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

Do you have thyroid?

Going to go out on a limb here and say that I'm like 99% sure that a majority of people have a thyroid.

• Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member

Do you have thyroid?

Lol.

Any woman with:

everyone on MFP is a doctor apparently
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    edited January 2015
    skullshank wrote: »

Do you have thyroid?

Lol.

Any woman with:

Just to clarify, you are saying she shouldn't at least try to count calories or exercise? She should wait for her doctor to believe her and draw blood? Just making sure that's what you're saying here, because that's totally ridiculous.

bamdropsmic.gif
    Evraybahday+dance+now+bam+bam+buh+buh+bam+_3901abd6a0cc21d0112a3491303fc689.gif

• Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member

Do you have thyroid?

Lol.

Any woman with:

THE HORROR!

I don't think I even have a gif to express how crazy it is that got flagged 3 times... oh wait..

MisguidedMedicalCoqui.gif
  • srslybritt

Do you have thyroid?

Lol.

Any woman with:

everyone on MFP is a doctor apparently

Of course - we obtained our MDs from Google University.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member

Do you have thyroid?

Most people are born with one.

OFahS.jpg
  • srslybritt
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Do you have thyroid?

Most people are born with one.

OFahS.jpg

Or maybe it's Maybelline?