Anyone suffering from a Thyroid Issue?

My previous doctor wanted me to get my thyroid checked after being on a weight loss journey for a year and only losing three pounds. That was with a food diary, vigorous exercise routine and being a parent to a toddler. I got the blood work done and it came back that my T4 cells looked like I had a thyroid problem. I was to meet with my doctor a week later to see about options for treatment. But I then accidentally (on bc) got pregnant. It was after my blood work but they said they couldn't be sure so they wouldn't treat me. Well here I am 4 months post partum and am trying to convince my new doctor to order blood work as I'm in the same boat. He won't and doesn't believe me.

Anyone else deal with this stuff? Did you find treatments helped? And what were they like? I'm also really hoping for more energy as I haven't had that in years.

Replies

• clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    I don't have advice but I do have major thyroid issues... I have never had a "borderline" problem as mine has always been severely out of whack once it started. However, its just controlled with high dose synthroid and weight loss happens with sticking in my calories. No other magic to it :)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    See an endocrinologist. So many generalists have no idea what they are doing with these issues. If your OB/GYN is very good, that might be another possibility.

Thyroid treatments are easy--just a small pill every day, no big deal.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    See an endocrinologist. So many generalists have no idea what they are doing with these issues. If your OB/GYN is very good, that might be another possibility.

Thyroid treatments are easy--just a small pill every day, no big deal.

therein lies the rub... the endo's in my area will not accept an appt without a referral from the PCP... even if you have insurance that doesn't require it :)
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Why don't you try counting calories and getting exercise in the meantime just to see what happens?
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited January 2015
    queenJJH wrote: »
    My previous doctor wanted me to get my thyroid checked after being on a weight loss journey for a year and only losing three pounds. That was with a food diary, vigorous exercise routine and being a parent to a toddler. I got the blood work done and it came back that my T4 cells looked like I had a thyroid problem. I was to meet with my doctor a week later to see about options for treatment. But I then accidentally (on bc) got pregnant. It was after my blood work but they said they couldn't be sure so they wouldn't treat me. Well here I am 4 months post partum and am trying to convince my new doctor to order blood work as I'm in the same boat. He won't and doesn't believe me.

Anyone else deal with this stuff? Did you find treatments helped? And what were they like? I'm also really hoping for more energy as I haven't had that in years.

Change your doctor to endocrinologist. If you doctor fails to listen to your past medical history do not waste your time. Also change to a female doctor because thyroid is a primarily a "female issue"
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,197 Member
    Find an endocrinologist or at least a new doctor. I have Hashimoto's disease. If my meds aren't right, I gain weight easily, or work like a dog on not enough food and not lose any. It is a legit problem with weight.
  • I'm really surprised your doc didn't deal with any possible thyroid issues immediately. Thyroid imbalance can be a huge problem during pregnancy, so I'm glad to hear your pregnancy went well.

Did your doc mention why he won't send you for testing, especially given previous results? It could be that he is waiting for a few more months for your endocrine system to stabilize after pregnancy.

• azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    I have auto-immune hypothyroid (Hashimoto's), the most common hypothyroid issue. For some odd reason, getting diagnosis and treatment for thyroid disorders can be very difficult in our medical system. Many, many people have been frustrated by this.

I second the opinion to see an Endocrinologist or OB/GYN (request a thyroid panel including TPO antibodies, not just TSH levels) if your primary care doctor won't help. You need a diagnosis before you can seek out the best treatment. We have a group on here on MFP - "Butterfly Chasers" - where you can vent frustrations and get stories/opinions.
  • Thyroid out in Dec due to Cancer. Had trouble losing, new female dr ordered test. So now I am on meds for the rest of my life, not complaining she saved my life having the test done. My other dr(male) did not want to run any test at all.
    Change dr's if you feel you are not being heard. Good Luck.

• Isadee
    Isadee Posts: 5 Member
    Some doctors rely on those numbers too much and don't take other symptoms into consideration, like lack of energy, temperature imbalances, and super dry skin. And pure fatigue!! I was on a lower dose of Levothyroxin for many years and actually started to gain weight again. Turns out I needed a higher dosage but also needed to be on the Brand name meds rather than generic. At first my doctor was just insisting I needed to cut back even more on what I ate. Could not go down any further, it would not have been healthy. Don't know exactly what finally convinced her to raise my dosage, but thank God she did. Find yourself a good doctor who will listen.
  • runner475
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Why don't you try counting calories and getting exercise in the meantime just to see what happens?

Do you have thyroid?
    Do you know anyone who has thyroid?

If you are going to answer no to any or both these questions I would suggest stay out of this thread discussion.
    Thyroid if left untreated can be life threatening.
  • ew_david
    runner475 wrote: »

Do you have thyroid?

If you are going to answer no to any or both these questions I would suggest stay out of this thread discussion.

Lol.

I'm a registered nurse. I know plenty of people with thyroids. Some without. I'm pretty sure if a doctor thought that the OP, at 22 years old, had any kind of thyroid crisis going on, he/she would be acting on it.

However, I'm going to say that the new doctor wants to see if she actually can lose the weight on her own, before resorting to unnecessary testing and/or medication.

Lastly, I can post in a public forum whenever I please, but thank you for your suggestion.
  • usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 277 Member
    edited January 2015
    I definitely suggest going to an Endocrinologist. My primary doctor managed mine until I got pregnant then sent me to an endocrinologist. She monitored me very closely during the pregnancy as an under active thyroid for mommy can mean hyper active thyroid for baby. She said I could go back to my primary as I have delivered a healthy baby girl and my thyroid is in check with my current level of meds but I am sticking with her as she is much more giving with information and checks various levels in my blood, not just the TSH levels. If you primary doctor won't refer you and you need a referral, I would suggest scheduling an appointment with another primary care doctor and get the referral that way. Just some thoughts.
  • runner475
    edited January 2015

Do you have thyroid?

Lol.

I'm a registered nurse. I know plenty of people with thyroids. Some without. I'm pretty sure if a doctor thought that the OP, at 22 years old, had any kind of thyroid crisis going on, he/she would be acting on it.

However, I'm going to say that the new doctor wants to see if she actually can lose the weight on her own, before resorting to unnecessary testing and/or medication.

Lastly, I can post in a public forum whenever I please, but thank you for your suggestion.

As a nurse you should know better. Age has nothing to do with Thyroid.

Who is at risk for developing postpartum thyroiditis?
    Any woman with:

Autoimmune disorders (such as Type 1, or juvenile onset, Diabetes Mellitus)
    Positive anti-thyroid antibodies (risk correlates with antibody levels, the higher the antibody the higher the risk)
    History of previous thyroid dysfunction
    History of previous postpartum thyroiditis (20% of women will have recurrence of thyroiditis with subsequent pregnancies)
    Family history of thyroid dysfunction

http://www.thyroid.org/postpartum-thyroiditis/

I can't respond to person with half the knowledge. Poster you won't hear anymore from me.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member

Do you have thyroid?

Lol.

Torched....

Also agree, if the doctor was worried he or she would order the tests...
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member

Do you have thyroid?

Clearly, suggesting that the OP keep an accurate log of her food/exercise so she has current information to give her doctor is THE WORST IDEA EVER.
  • ew_david
    edited January 2015

Do you have thyroid?

Lol.

Any woman with:

Positive anti-thyroid antibodies (risk correlates with antibody levels, the higher the antibody the higher the risk)
    History of previous postpartum thyroiditis (20% of women will have recurrence of thyroiditis with subsequent pregnancies)

I can't respond to person with half the knowledge. Poster won't hear anymore from me.

Aaaaaand since we know NOTHING of the OP's medical history, you can't play white knight here.

Just to clarify, you are saying she shouldn't at least try to count calories or exercise? She should wait for her doctor to believe her and draw blood? Just making sure that's what you're saying here, because that's totally ridiculous.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member

Do you have thyroid?

Lol.

Any woman with:

I can't respond to person with half the knowledge. Poster you won't hear anymore from me.

Wow, you come off as a psychopath, since you're flagging people who don't agree with you, I'm stating you sound like one...not that you are one!

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

Do you have thyroid?

Lol.

Any woman with:

I can't respond to person with half the knowledge. Poster won't hear anymore from me.

Aaaaaand since we know NOTHING of the OP's medical history, you can't play white knight here.

Just to clarify, you are saying she shouldn't at least try to count calories or exercise? She should wait for her doctor to believe her and draw blood? Just making sure that's what you're saying here, because that's totally ridiculous.

boom-o.gif
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member

Do you have thyroid?

Lol.

Any woman with:

bamdropsmic.gif