Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    nature0721 wrote: »
    I have been substituting honey for sugar. I know it higher in calories than sugar. It natural and has lots of health benefits.

And the sucrose in honey is different than table sugar how again?

Bees are cool and you can buy it at the farmer's market.

It also tastes better in some things (and presumably is less ideal in others).

Oh, you mean nutritionally?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    emily_stew wrote: »
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    carrieous wrote: »
    because it has no nutritional value and is all bad for you
    I think you answered the thread title right there.
    Great. You got chased out of the bulking section, now you gotta torture the rest of us out here?
    What other explanation would be for why sugar gets so much hate?

-Fear mongering in the media (usually by some quack attempting to sell something..looking at you, Dr. Oz..)
    -Poor education and understanding of nutrition
    -A desire for a scapegoat. I'm old enough to remember when fat was the scapegoat. Now it seems to be sugar.
    Edit: phrasing
    Ok, here's the thing. People here keep telling me with food, context is key. If you get in all of your micronutrient needs, I can understand sugar not being bad. But in general (not MFP members), who does? Without supplements, there are certain micros that are hard to meet unless one is eating very high quantities of some food groups.

I'm not sure I really understand your question.
    I do know your Calorie Surplus thread in another section here is a giant rabbit-hole of excuses and other ridiculousness. Honestly, the answer to your question is probably in one of the pages of that thread.
    Dang, I didn't realize how many people saw that thread.

And no, this was not discussed in that thread. What I'm saying is if someone is getting 100% of the recommended amount of all micronutrients, I can understand there not being anything wrong with sugar. But given the number of people that are most likely falling short on some nutrients (especially USDA recommendations), I tend to think that sugar is not "good" in this case. I don't think there's anything wrong with consuming it in moderate amounts, however.

It's not that sugar is not good, it's that people don't even know what macros are or what they do. That goes back to poor education. That is why people are falling short and why people are gaining weight. That's why so many people log in here for the first time with zero idea how to start.
    Ok. I have read in some places that sugar requires processing by certain micros like magnesium to metabolize it. Is this true?

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Great. You got chased out of the bulking section, now you gotta torture the rest of us out here?

-Fear mongering in the media (usually by some quack attempting to sell something..looking at you, Dr. Oz..)
    -A desire for a scapegoat. I'm old enough to remember when fat was the scapegoat. Now it seems to be sugar.
    Ok, here's the thing. People here keep telling me with food, context is key. If you get in all of your micronutrient needs, I can understand sugar not being bad. But in general (not MFP members), who does? Without supplements, there are certain micros that are hard to meet unless one is eating very high quantities of some food groups.

You're moving the goal posts here, but I'll bite. Which micros are hard to meet? Let's forget the average person who doesn't understand nutrition at all (most people don't know what macros are or what they do). Let's say the average person who makes an effort to meet micros while fitting cookies and cake into their macro goal.
    Potassium and to some extent magnesium.

If you go off the food entries on MFP you'd think you are short. Unfortunately most the foods logged on here don't contain either (most packaging doesn't contain the information for potassium or magnesium). Most people are probably fairly close without trying. In fact, doctors suggest you don't take a supplement for potassium or magnesium unless you've had blood work that has shown your are deficient since getting too much can cause problems.
  • usmcmp
    edited January 2015
    Options

I do know your Calorie Surplus thread in another section here is a giant rabbit-hole of excuses and other ridiculousness. Honestly, the answer to your question is probably in one of the pages of that thread.

And no, this was not discussed in that thread. What I'm saying is if someone is getting 100% of the recommended amount of all micronutrients, I can understand there not being anything wrong with sugar. But given the number of people that are most likely falling short on some nutrients (especially USDA recommendations), I tend to think that sugar is not "good" in this case. I don't think there's anything wrong with consuming it in moderate amounts, however.

It's not that sugar is not good, it's that people don't even know what macros are or what they do. That goes back to poor education. That is why people are falling short and why people are gaining weight. That's why so many people log in here for the first time with zero idea how to start.
    Ok. I have read in some places that sugar requires processing by certain micros like magnesium to metabolize it. Is this true?

You have that backwards. Magnesium, iron, and manganese are needed for the metabolism of glucose (along with a few other things like niacin and thiamin).
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    people that are addicted to sugar get upset when you tell them sugar is bad for them. if they would just break the addiction they would understand, but they are not ready to do that yet.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options

You have that backwards. Magnesium, iron, and manganese are needed for the metabolism of glucose (along with a few other things like niacin and thiamin).
    So then wouldn't it be true that the more sugar is consumed, the more of those nutrients are needed?

• usmcmp
    Options
    people that are addicted to sugar get upset when you tell them sugar is bad for them. if they would just break the addiction they would understand, but they are not ready to do that yet.

You sure have a way with inflammatory wording. I've seen you do it in other threads.

I was "addicted to sugar", but eventually I realized I just had very low impulse control and really bad habits. Education and awareness go a very long way.
  • usmcmp
    edited January 2015
    Options

So then wouldn't it be true that the more sugar is consumed, the more of those nutrients are needed?

No.

I also think you don't understand carbs.
  • ForecasterJason
    edited January 2015
    Options

No.

I wasn't thinking right for a moment, as I do realize carbs are broken down into glucose. So then the more carbs that are consumed, the more those nutrients are needed, then? Do I have that right?
  • usmcmp
    Options

No.

I wasn't thinking right for a moment, as I do realize carbs are broken down into glucose. So then the more carbs that are consumed, the more those nutrients are needed, then? Do I have that right?

Still no.

The USDA recommendations for macros is actually very interesting. 18% Protein, 29% Fat, 53% Carbs. I know most people increase protein and decrease carbs. So, even if the USDA recommendations for magnesium, iron and the other micros were based on carbohydrate intake that means many of us might be getting too much if we hit their suggestions.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options

No.

Still no.

The USDA recommendations for macros is actually very interesting. 18% Protein, 29% Fat, 53% Carbs. I know most people increase protein and decrease carbs. So, even if the USDA recommendations for magnesium, iron and the other micros were based on carbohydrate intake that means many of us might be getting too much if we hit their suggestions.
    I'm more confused now. Are you referring to the micros specifically that are abundant in high carb foods? Since there is a wide range of differences in micro content among high carb foods (like white bread vs wheat bran), I'm missing the direct connection between carb and micro intake.

• healthiermeep
    Options
    I didn't know there was one I like sugar shrug lol
  • usmcmp
    Options

No.

Still no.

I'm more confused now. Are you referring to the micros specifically that are abundant in high carb foods? Since there is a wide range of differences in micro content among high carb foods (like white bread vs wheat bran), I'm missing the direct connection between carb and micro intake.

There is no connection. You were trying to build one and I was showing you how it was irrelevant. You're obviously in over your head on this and that's okay. We all start somewhere. Even I am still learning.

You have, however, successfully managed to move the goal post and turn attention away from your claims that sugar has no nutritional value and is bad for you.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

So where can I buy such a tall horse like the white charger you just rode in on? Oh, and can you ride it back out? Thanks.
  • healthiermeep
    Options
    Hmm is there a popcorn scare oh with hell IDC gets it anyways this is interesting
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Hmm is there a popcorn scare oh with hell IDC gets it anyways this is interesting

Don't worry, these threads are a daily occurrence but most get mod nuked eventually. Wait till the GIFs start showing up then you know it won't be long.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    The idea of "addiction to sugar" always drives me nuts. As cute as those little puff pieces on the today show are, sugar is not more addictive than [insert scare drug here]. Watch someone with a real addiction go through detox and then tell me again how you're a "choco-holic."
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, these threads are a daily occurrence but most get mod nuked eventually. Wait till the GIFs start showing up then you know it won't be long.
    I've been very impressed how resistant MFP threads seem to be to Godwin's Law.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've been very impressed how resistant MFP threads seem to be to Godwin's Law.

That's just one of the things they are resistant to lol.
This discussion has been closed.