going over on macros...

Options
2»

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Branstin wrote: »
    i think people really shouldnt be telling people their macros calories etc are too low when they dont know the details.

...then why are you looking for people to advise you on your macros?
    Was just going to ask this!
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    As others said, make sure that calorie goal isn't too low for you, make sure you're logging absolutely accurately with a food scale before you drop too low. However on the protein end of things, There's nothing wrong with going over on protein, protein is great for you. My macros are set to 35% protein which for me is about 150 grams. I set mine according to the macro calculator at IIFYM.com. You could always check out their calculation and see what your recommended macros are.
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    MFP's default protein setting is pretty much bare minimum for a sedentary person. I wouldn't worry at all about going over and in fact generally recommend more protein for people who are trying to lose weight in order to mitigate muscle loss. If you're active at all, you definitely need more.

Beyond that, people stress out way too much about macros...most people would be better served to just focus on hitting there calorie goals and stop obsessing about things that are ultimately not all that important outside of your fitness goals and potentially some body composition goals....people need to get their calories straight first and then worry about all that other *kitten* later...and really, trying to hit them bang on is a bit OCD IMO.

thanks. i try to get close sometimes i am sometimes at 1100 sometimes 1200 and 1300 depends on my activity. lots of crazy nut jobs on here i see
    They are not crazy nut jobs. Ultimately your calorie goal IS too low for pretty much almost everyone. And macros are definitely worth monitoring or at least being aware of even if you don't have body composition or specific exercise (lifting or lots of endurance) goals. If you're diabetic you need to monitor carbs. If you are finding that you are constantly hungry then you may need to monitor macros to see if there are any trends -- does high carb make you hungry? Or maybe high fat due to not having enough volume? Poor memory or mood? etc.

what are your stats? Current weight, body composition goals (do you have any?), do you exercise regularly or just randomly, any medical conditions that would affect your ability to eat certain things/macros, body fat % if known, do you lift weights, etc.

thanks,
    weight 155lbs
    body fat 38%
    t25 6 days a week no other exercise
    sedentary job
    no medical conditions but suspected hormone related PCOS drs refuse to test further due to it being on the slight side.
    i dont lift much maybe once a week.
    moods are better since weight loss, skin better, no memory fogs any more. the more protein the better i feel.
    goal weight is 130lbs
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    MFP's default protein setting is pretty much bare minimum for a sedentary person. I wouldn't worry at all about going over and in fact generally recommend more protein for people who are trying to lose weight in order to mitigate muscle loss. If you're active at all, you definitely need more.

Beyond that, people stress out way too much about macros...most people would be better served to just focus on hitting there calorie goals and stop obsessing about things that are ultimately not all that important outside of your fitness goals and potentially some body composition goals....people need to get their calories straight first and then worry about all that other *kitten* later...and really, trying to hit them bang on is a bit OCD IMO.

thanks. i try to get close sometimes i am sometimes at 1100 sometimes 1200 and 1300 depends on my activity. lots of crazy nut jobs on here i see
    They are not crazy nut jobs. Ultimately your calorie goal IS too low for pretty much almost everyone. And macros are definitely worth monitoring or at least being aware of even if you don't have body composition or specific exercise (lifting or lots of endurance) goals. If you're diabetic you need to monitor carbs. If you are finding that you are constantly hungry then you may need to monitor macros to see if there are any trends -- does high carb make you hungry? Or maybe high fat due to not having enough volume? Poor memory or mood? etc.

what are your stats? Current weight, body composition goals (do you have any?), do you exercise regularly or just randomly, any medical conditions that would affect your ability to eat certain things/macros, body fat % if known, do you lift weights, etc.

Yes, they are worth being aware of...but MFP is hilarious in it's obsession with hitting macros. Having a relatively balanced macro ratio and being in the general neighborhood of those goals is just fine for the vast majority.

The way people freak on their macros with MFP just cracks me up...like if they don't bang on 1 gram of protein per Lb of LBM they're going to wither away or something...it's hilarious.

Also OP, you're getting pretty good advise in RE to eating more....even 90 year old 4' noting women can lose weight eating more than you're eating. Nobody is really being nutty...my original comment was more in RE to why are you so worried about going over certain macros when it really doesn't have a whole lot of bearing here.