Could use some advice!

Options
Hi MyFitnessPal community. I have been doing a lot of research on healthy eating and such, but I could use some advice from you guys to see what works and what doesn't.

Should I be drinking wheybolic protein shakes in the morning and then prior to my work out in the afternoon? Or should I have a shake post workout? Thoughts, opinions.?

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    There are opinions all over the board on meal timing with regards when one should consume protein and it probably doesn't really matter when you supplement with extra protein, however, if you're trying to build muscle they can be a quick and handy supplement to your overall foodstuff diet.

Recommendations in how much protein are all over the place. I've read as little as .25 grams per 1 pound of LBM to as much as 2 grams per LBM.

All in all you gotta find out what works for you. But document -- it will assist you in troubleshooting if the gains you seek are not achieved.
  • ransaka
    ransaka Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP!
    If you’re just starting out I’d recommend reading these two threads as they contain good, honest information that will set you on the right track:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

There is debate about meal timing pre and post workout. There's an excellent series of videos on youtube from a guy called Eric Helms, look for Part 4: Pyramid Level 4 - Nutrient Timing & Frequency, he talks about it in that.

• RokvicN
    Options
    You definitely should use protein shake right after your workout, to help repairing your fractured muscle cells, (that's the time when you get the most of protein supplement), and then have some nice healthy meal. Dextrose is a way better choice to drink right before your workout(during it too), and ofc. some healthy, high energy meal aprox. one or two hours before workout.
  • Jake587
    Jake587 Posts: 11
    Options
    My goal is to lose 10lbs. Does adding all this extra protein into my diet help with weight loss, along with healthy eating?
  • Jake587
    Options
    My day mostly consists of breakfast ( 2 scoops of GNC wheybolic protein shake) and usually some yogurt or a banana. I have lunch (lean meat and veggies) and then 2 more scoops of that protein before my work out around 4:00 - 5:00 PM, then usually a half hour to an hour after I have a light dinner. Usually high in protein.

Will I see weight loss with this type of schedule? My daily calorie limit on here is 1,850. I have been under just from all the protein shakes I have.

Thoughts or opinions appreciated.
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Jake587 wrote: »
    My goal is to lose 10lbs. Does adding all this extra protein into my diet help with weight loss, along with healthy eating?
    You don't need protein supplement at all to lose weight, to cut, unless you plan on building muscle and need the supplementation because you are not getting enough protein in your normal foodstuff diet.

Eat at deficit. Weight train to keep muscle if that's what you're looking at doing.

I assume you've figured out your BMR and TDEE to establish just how many calories you should be eating per day?
    Options
    Will I see weight loss with this type of schedule?
    Expend more than you consume. Eat what you want, but with restricted calories, make them count.

Done.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

It wont help with the amount of your loss, but will help ensure that a larger % of your loss comes from fat, and less from muscle.

So will help with fat loss, not weight loss.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You don't need protein supplement at all to lose weight, to cut, unless you plan on building muscle and need the supplementation because you are not getting enough protein in your normal foodstuff diet.

Eat at deficit. Weight train to keep muscle if that's what you're looking at doing.

I assume you've figured out your BMR and TDEE to establish just how many calories you should be eating per day?

actually a higher amount of protein is more important in a deficit than a surplus, as your body will use the energy in carbs in a surplus and the protein will go towards building muscle, whereas in a deficit you are in an energy shortage, and using your muscles (strength training) combined with protein is essential so you don't use you muscles for fuel.
  • Jake587
    Options
    I am doing P90x, so I'm incorporating weight training and putting muscle on as well as trying to shed fat.
    edited January 2015
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

actually a higher amount of protein is more important in a deficit than a surplus, as your body will use the energy in carbs in a surplus and the protein will go towards building muscle, whereas in a deficit you are in an energy shortage, and using your muscles (strength training) combined with protein is essential so you don't use you muscles for fuel.
    I got the impression that the OP was only looking to cut 10 pounds, cut some weight (unspecified) so it didn't seem to me that was really a consideration. Of course, if he's trying to "build" muscle at deficit -- eat the protein. I do exactly the same, even though there is still some unavoidable muscle loss.
  • Jake587
    Options
    When you are talking deficit and surplus are you referring to fat? So by saying protein is essential for a deficit because the energy your body uses won't fuel from muscle but from fat?
  • Jake587
    Options
    I guess what I should have clarified is that I'm trying to burn fat (mainly stomach fat) . Not necessarily weight, so I am working out usually 5-6 days a week and eating very healthy with mens multi pack from GNC and the wheybolic protein
    edited January 2015
    Options
    When you are talking deficit and surplus are you referring to fat? So by saying protein is essential for a deficit because the energy your body uses won't fuel from muscle but from fat?
    Nope. Not body composition, but what you eat. If you eat more than what you expend, your body stores it. If you eat less than what you expend, you're body burns it -- converts it to "fuel." Eating protein should theoretically spare as much muscle lost from your cut as possible because protein is the primary macro-nutrient your body uses to synthesize new muscle growth and maintain what you already have.

However, if your intention is to cut and you are still consuming more calories than you expend, not where those particular calories come from, you'll still put on weight. Eating loads of protein isn't going to help you lose fat in of itself, unless you eat overall at deficit. Eating protein will help spare some muscle loss.
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I guess what I should have clarified is that I'm trying to burn fat (mainly stomach fat) . Not necessarily weight, so I am working out usually 5-6 days a week and eating very healthy with mens multi pack from GNC and the wheybolic protein
    You probably don't need the vitamins... food is pretty micro-nutrient dense as it is and the typical American diet is already very high in those sources. Besides if you are indeed "eating healthy" then the vitamin pack is not really needed.

Also, vitamin supps won't help you lose fat.
  • Jake587
    Options
    Ok so I googled what my body burns in. Typical day. I have a desk job, not very active during the day. It's saying based off my weight height and age I should be burning roughly 2,120 calories a day. MyFitnessPal has me set at an 1,850 calorie limit on the day. Which I stay well below because of how full I feel off my protein shakes, lunch and dinner.

I do P90x 6 days a week at the gym after work. Based off this information, do you think it's likely I will see weight loss as well as muscle gain?
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I do P90x 6 days a week at the gym after work. Based off this information, do you think it's likely I will see weight loss as well as muscle gain?
    Both? Probably not.

I'll try to describe the prevailing wisdom (lack of a better word) on this issue. Generally, you really can not gain that much in the way of muscle while cutting. (I've read some outlier opinion on that that disagrees.) Anyway, no, generally you will not see much in the way of muscle gain -- if at all -- while cutting. What you will see is the muscle already there as fat cells shrink and die away. You will become "toned."

You want muscle, lift heavy (and if you are a neophyte lifter find a program to get you going) and eat at a calorie surplus after your cut to build muscle - that's the bulk. I also recommend a calipers to determine body composition. The scale is not the most accurate tool in that regards.

Search these forums... these topics are discussed endlessly. lol
  • Jake587
    Options
    Haha sorry for keeping this going. I just did a BMR - 1900 and my BMI is 28.03.

So if I stay under the BMR of 1900 and work out I should see weight loss? Or just a more tone look?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You're not supposed to stay under your BMR, you're supposed to stay under your TDEE. This is your BMR plus all activity including normal daily movements and exercise. Somewhere between BMR and TDEE should work nicely.
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Haha sorry for keeping this going. I just did a BMR - 1900 and my BMI is 28.03.

So if I stay under the BMR of 1900 and work out I should see weight loss? Or just a more tone look?
    BMI is a very silly metric. I'm "slightly obese" (200 lbs ... 11% bf). Sure thing lol

If you go under your BMR you will die. (No not right away.) The BMR number is the minimum amount of calories you need to keep your heart pumping blood to your brain and your lungs breathing.