10 pounds lighter and tighter by April - Support thread!

Options

Replies

• jonikayrn
    jonikayrn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Learned a valuable lesson yesterday! When I completed my food and exercise diary I got a message saying that I probably wasn't eating enough. I thought, yea right! Whatever! Well, when I went to bed, I tossed and turned. Felt very hungry. Can't sleep hungry! So I got up in the wee hours and downed about 500 of today's calories! Yikes! From now on I will pay attention to my MFP messages!!!! BTW, lost 3 pounds first week! Happy!
  • faelight
    faelight Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Welcome everyone who joined in this first week!

Last Wednesday I started this thread to rally up everyone who's ready to lose 10 lbs, whether you are in the middle of your health journey or just beginning. And look at how many people we have together already!

Share openly here and lean on us for support! We all have each other's backs here. And if you feel inclined, reach out to support someone else, too! Whether you reply to a post, like their status on their page, or add them as a friend, it's the little things that count and remind us we aren't alone in this. We have good company!! :)

We are 1 week down with 9 to go - let's do this! Game On!!!!

(*) B) (*)

p.s. my successes today and yesterday - one cardio workout each day and staying on track with my calories! I avoided temptation too by eating normal portions of my favorite foods like potatoes! Wow! That's a big deal for me...lol
  • faelight
    faelight Posts: 58 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jonikayrn wrote: »
    Learned a valuable lesson yesterday! When I completed my food and exercise diary I got a message saying that I probably wasn't eating enough. I thought, yea right! Whatever! Well, when I went to bed, I tossed and turned. Felt very hungry. Can't sleep hungry! So I got up in the wee hours and downed about 500 of today's calories! Yikes! From now on I will pay attention to my MFP messages!!!! BTW, lost 3 pounds first week! Happy!

Yes! It's so important to get enough calories. Congrats on your success this week, woohoo!! :)
    I want to do this!!! I've put on alot of weight and want to get to the weight I was normally at.. currently 140! I would love to be under 130lbs!

You so got this!! (*)
  • jgrabowski33
    jgrabowski33 Posts: 19 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm in! I've gained a lot of weight since coming home from college and getting a desk job, and want to get it all off! This is just the start for me!

CW: 184
    GW:130-135
    Height: 5'8"

I lost 1.6 lbs in my first week, hoping that this time I can stick to it. I used to be very active and I want to get back to a place where I can actually hike for extended periods, play volleyball, and generally feel comfortable in my body again! Definitely looking forward to losing 10 lbs by April!

ETA: feel free to add me as a friend!
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Woohoo: Week 2.
    I need to take progress pictures and measurements (since I don't like the scale).

This is what I have today for my workout: to shovel out 30+ inches of snow off our deck.
    Don't think I need to hit the gym today after all the shoveling.

10887610_10206060407295147_6270555520779038918_o.jpg

Amanda

p.s. I'm so jealous of all tall ladies, being just 4'11" tall.
  • hither2012
    hither2012 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! I'm logging in to keep myself accountable! My weigh ins are going to be on Fridays since sometimes the weekends are hard for me. I feel that will be my real weight. Will start exercising Saturday. I have a few DVDs that I like. That is the hardest thing for me is keeping up with the exercise. I'll do it for a few days and then make excuses. So, I'm here to tell yall I will be checking in and letting you know that I did it. Need to tone up for the beach this summer!

• sellerskennington
    sellerskennington Posts: 77 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Amanda, @huango‌ how do you collect calories for one specific night? I didn't realize you could "roll over" calories. I thought it was a daily count. Will you please explain this to me?? Thank you!

Wait, that would be dangerous for me. Never mind. I need to keep logging each meal and keep my daily count and not roll over calories. But, would be neat to understand what you mean!
  • angela101427
    angela101427 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    jlkermode wrote: »
    Thought this was a cute article! The struggle is real...
    http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Working-Out-Your-20s-vs-30s-GIFs-36696898

This had me in stiches!! great read, thanks for sharing.
  • cmanitowabi
    cmanitowabi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Very Motivating! I'm in too! Started at 172, now at 169lbs; Hoping my next post is the same or better! :D
  • sellerskennington
    sellerskennington Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Please help! Good and bad problem! The past few days I have been logging, I eat all but like 100 calories suggested in a day. Then I enter my exercise and sync my FitBit only to gain somewhere between 400-600 more calories to consume. Today I have 605 more calories to consume (already input my dinner to check count). I can't imagine eating that much! What do you suggest? I don't want to be too low where it stores as fat rather than burning. Any thoughts?
  • MsTracy1972
    MsTracy1972 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Afternoon all! Hope your day is going well. Im looking at Huango's picture of the snow, its BEAUTIFUL...but definitely a lot of work. Here in Chicago, we haven't had much of anything this year. But, last year, that was my back yard.

Although I get full, I haven't been eating enough calories, and I didn't drink enough water yesterday (and its slow going today). Ugghh, I'm still a bit sore (I lathered icy hot on my thighs and knees yesterday) so I decided to do weights, arms today. I feel better that I did. I have to keep going while I have the momentum and energy.

Welcome to all the new peeps.

GAME ON!
  • kaylafox904
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm new to MFP and looking for some support and motivation as well. Your posts and feedback are so awesome! I want "in" too.
    Lil background info... similar to others here... 26yo, CW is 160 (eek), GW is 140 (1 pound at a time) 5'4".
    Looking to lose weight while hopefully toning up and building muscle again. My energy levels have been terrible lately and I just feel stuck in the winter "blahs". So I feel it's time to get back into the workout game after slacking for a while. Will start Friday!
    I started school in the fall and have noticed all of my energy going towards that, so now I'm planning on working out 4x/wk, 30 mins (or more if I can do it)/per workout. I used to do pilates, yoga, lots of cardio and then strength training, I'm all set up indoors so I don't have an excuse. My issue is the lack of energy or time.. how do you "push" through that? Also the transition from not being so active to being active again. I sit most of the day in class, on my feet for a bit doing a practical, sitting again, bending, crouching, sitting, rinse and repeat. I'm so exhausted by the end of the day, I literally just want to eat dinner and sleep.

When I put in all the info for MFP, My NG came back at 1510 cals/day. At first it seemed low.. I've started monitoring my intake and now, past lunch.. I'm already halfway there (crazy how it adds up), just enough left for dinner (and maybe dessert). Although I do feel a little hungry right now.. So I might do the 1500 for the rest of the week and see how I feel, if I need more then so be it.
    I eat pretty healthy overall, LOVE my veggies, love anything w/protein, whole grains, etc. My downfall is carbs.. the pasta, rice, anything that's white basically and magically turns into sugar (and coffee, and chocolate, and cheese! haha)
    I don't restrict myself though, and I don't think anyone should. That's a set up. Eat what you like, but in moderation. I've learned to portion things out, drink more water, take my vitamins, etc. Eating breakfast helps too! Baby steps..

Glad I joined and found this thread... look forward to hearing more positive things and always looking for tips or suggestions. Keep it coming!
  • estrella8282
    estrella8282 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I did a little over 60 minutes of cardio including a 45 minute walk on my lunch and few lighy weights, eliptical and stair master at the gym in the evening! According to my fitbit I reached 14,116 steps and 5.50 miles :)
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I have 2 PROS:
    1. It's day 28 of no night-time snacking!!!
    DH was snacking on some chips and I was able to say no to the chips.
    (It's SOOOO much better NOT to start, because once I have one, I lose control).

2. I shoveled out all that snow from the deck, AND then walked up/down the stairs during kids' ice skating lessons, instead of just sitting on my bum, like I wanted to because I was tired.

No real CONS today.
    I ate a delicious Chick FilA spicy chicken sandwich and I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm not going to be guilty of it. It fits into my calories/macros.

@sellerskennington:
    Not quite sure what you're asking: "stores as fat rather than burning", but I don't eat back my work-out calories.

During my no-cut week where I get to eat 1500/day, I aim to eat 1500 calories, even though I may have burn 420 calories from Zumba class. So for that day, I could have ~420 calories left for that day, but as long as I eat the 1500 of good macros, I'm not concerned.

As for me saving up calories for a specific day/event, I just carry it over.
    I keep an Excel spread logging all my food and exercise calories.
    This way, I can keep tab on my averages over a week, or a month, etc.

It doesn't matter if you eat 500 calories on Monday and 2000 calories on Sunday, as long as you average out to what you set as a goal.
    Example:
    - My cut-week: avg = 1200/day
    -- Mon: 700
    -- Tue: 1300
    -- Wed: 700
    -- Thur: 1300
    -- Fri: 1400
    -- Sat: 1700
    -- Sun: 1400
    So that I only feel "deprived" for 2 days of the 7.
    See, I can even go out to eat at a restaurant on Saturday night, or a night out w/ the girls on Saturday and eat a "normal" amount, but I'll still average 1200calories/day for this week.

Reminder: I am only 4'11" = wicked short --> I don't get a lot of calories. <== whine

But I cycle a cut-week with a no-cut week, so that I don't feel like I'm dieting or depriving myself, or else I'll want to eat everything in sight.
    This is a marathon; I intend to keep it up for a LONG time and I want do something that is achievable/maintainable.

@MsTracy1972‌: I'm so proud of you for continuing with your work-outs even though you are sore.
    For me, it's BETTER to work-out even though I'm sore, because if I don't, I get tighter/stiffer and everything hurts more!
    Are you incorporating REST days, or alternating muscle groups?
    I love REST days - like tomorrow!

GAME ON!!!

Amanda
  • jlkermode
    jlkermode Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday! Week is almost over!

My wins for the wk: cooking an amazing meal last night for my husband and I! We are both super busy and often order takeout for dinner. While I try to make good decisions about my good choices when eating from a restaurant, you just never know about the content (sodium, etc.) I resolved to start cooking more and planning to make it easier on late week nights.

So yesterday morning I found a great recipe on Spark People for Slimmer Beef stroganoff! I made a grocery lost while sitting at work and made it a priority to go to the grocery store on my walk home! I ended up substituting chicken, but the stroganoff was awesome! I also roasted some zucchini, yellow squash and tomatoes as a side dish.

Going to the gym is a habit for me now, but my eating really slows down my weight loss- so I'm resolving to cook more and eat clean!
    Thanks for reading my long post! Have a great day, all!
  • angela101427
    angela101427 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    keep up all the great work, you guys rock!!

GAME ON!!
  • MsTracy1972
    Options
    Huango...I alternate muscle groups..and if Im too stiff, I just briskly walk on the treadmill...I have to do something. Right now rest day is Sunday. When I near my cycle, I get extremely fatigued so I usually don't have the energy to do anything, and will miss days. As long as I have the energy to get off my butt, Im doing something.

Jlkermode: I love Sparkpeople, there are lots of good articles there.

TJ
  • MsTracy1972
    Options
    Huango, I keep looking at that snow and giggling...its awesome that you shoveled that. You get two thumbs up!!!
  • minesta
    minesta Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Awesome first week. I only lost .2 lbs but I worked out every single day this week. I don't recall ever doing that. Feeling great!!!
  • jgrabowski33
    jgrabowski33 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Really didn't want to work out today, and it probably would have been fine to skip since I've worked out every week day for 2 weeks, but I kept thinking about my goals and finally got up and just did it! I'm happy to see my motivation returning after so many years of being complacent about my gains, can't wait to reach my goals! Has anyone thought about rewards when they reach their first goals? For me, I'm going to finally buy new underwear when I hit ten pounds lost! (I'm a reformed VS addict haha)