Weight Above Which You Wouldn't Go

Options

Replies

• Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I never thought about a number. I just felt very hungry all the time. I still feel very hungry all the time. I think it's hard for people who don't have over hunger making genes continuously sending those signals to the brain ( never mind what fat reserves are on the body ) to comprehend how incredibly hungry overweight people often are. I never stop thinking about food, I notice food wherever I go and I want it. I eat it and an hour later I'm hungry again and I want more. It doesn't really matter if my day is 1300 cals, 2200 cals, 3000 cals - I always feel like I could fit some more in, and that would be really really nice. It is an inabilty of the brain to clock the fact it needs no more fat reserves and it is why many people get very very big. And in fact, if weight loss occurs, these drives to eat and replenish fat stores are a siren call which is why we yo-yo.
    -It wasn't a number that made me decided enough's enough, it was the fact my life had become very hard from a health point of view. I though "I look *kitten* at this weight and I will look *kitten* when I'm two stone lighter, and I'll never have the discipline to take it further"

Time showed me I under-estimated myself.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school I swore I'd never get over 120 lbs. Ah, youth!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    For me it's more about size. When I was slowly gaining, I'd go shopping for new clothes and if it meant I had to go up a size, no big deal. It must've been the way the brands were sized, yadda yadda. I don't play those games anymore. I'm currently in a size 14 and there is no way I will buy pants any bigger!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My weight gradually crept up to 180 lbs before I really felt like there was no way I would let it go any higher. That is very overweight for me. I wouldn't say I was unconcerned when I weighed less than that but that was the final straw weight.
  • tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    200. I never actually reached it. My highest recorded weight was 188, but I suspect I crept into the 190s at one point.
  • enm2122
    enm2122 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm not for sure if I had a particular number in mind. I just know that I hit my highest at 170 during the holidays, and I was determined from that point on. I'm 5'8", so my healthy range is around 135-165. I have fluctuated between 165-169 the past 5 years, but as soon as I saw it bump up to the 170 range, it made me sick. I'm determined to get down to 150 as my first goal.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Clothing size had more significance to me than the number on the scale. My mental break was at XL. I had worn XL for so long, as long as they still fit I was pretty apathetic. Until one day XL didn't fit. That was enough of a shock to me. I refused to buy xxl or 2x or any sized pants not in the teens. Now I'm giddy as a school girl when my size L stuff is getting too big :)
  • ElizabethNJ
    ElizabethNJ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I stepped on the scale and saw 150, that was the last straw for me. I had gained about 20 lbs in a year & a half. I felt super hot when i was 130, so that's my goal...maybe 125.
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    My heaviest was 255 at the delivery of my first child. Now that I can no longer have children my absolute number is 140. Even though I'd still be in a normal BMI, I feel and look better at 130 or lower.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    So when I was overweight, I always had 200 in my mind. That was the number I would never allow myself to get to. What was yours and how did you decide on that number? I'm honestly interested in gaining some understanding as to how people allow their weight to get super out of control.

That's sort of a condescending attitude. I really doubt that super morbidly obese people get on the scale and think to themselves "Ok, at 475 I'm totally fine, but 480 is just something that can NEVER happen." There are lots and lots of reasons that people gain weight, and there's no one mindset that can be attributed to that happening.

I'm curious - what's your definition of "super out of control"?

I'm not trying to be condescending. I asked a question that I am honestly interested in hearing answers to. Why people allow themselves to get to 475 is exactly what I'm getting at. What are the reasons? Just trying to understand. Is that wrong?

I don't think it's condescending. I've wondered the same thing. However, 200 is not really that high. When I started gaining in the early 2000s, I thought to myself never over 200. I ranged from 170-190 (sizes 10-12) during that time, occasionally getting very close to 200 (size 14). In 2005 I got to 210 and was horrified, but accepted it because I was not ready to deal with it at the time. Then my goal became more about staying in the "misses" size range which I was just barely in at size 16.

I don't wonder so much about people who get to 300 or any other specific number, it's the people who get so large they can barely walk and need help going to the bathroom and that sort of thing who make me wonder. (What weight that would be would depend on the person, especially the height.) At some point it does seem like the weight gain would stop, either because being satisfied with the amount of food being consumed or stopping the overeating because of the lifestyle limitations, but I know in many situations there are other people who enable the overeater and even encourage the unhealthy behavior.

When I was in my 20s, I didn't think I'd ever weigh 150 or higher. (I was usually around 130.) Now 150 is my goal weight! I have a lot more muscle now, though.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    lemon629 wrote: »
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    So when I was overweight, I always had 200 in my mind. That was the number I would never allow myself to get to. What was yours and how did you decide on that number? I'm honestly interested in gaining some understanding as to how people allow their weight to get super out of control.

That's sort of a condescending attitude. I really doubt that super morbidly obese people get on the scale and think to themselves "Ok, at 475 I'm totally fine, but 480 is just something that can NEVER happen." There are lots and lots of reasons that people gain weight, and there's no one mindset that can be attributed to that happening.

I'm curious - what's your definition of "super out of control"?

I'm not trying to be condescending. I asked a question that I am honestly interested in hearing answers to. Why people allow themselves to get to 475 is exactly what I'm getting at. What are the reasons? Just trying to understand. Is that wrong?

I don't think it's condescending. I've wondered the same thing. However, 200 is not really that high. When I started gaining in the early 2000s, I thought to myself never over 200. I ranged from 170-190 (sizes 10-12) during that time, occasionally getting very close to 200 (size 14). In 2005 I got to 210 and was horrified, but accepted it because I was not ready to deal with it at the time. Then my goal became more about staying in the "misses" size range which I was just barely in at size 16.

I don't wonder so much about people who get to 300 or even 400, it's the people who get so large they can barely walk and need help going to the bathroom and that sort of thing who make me wonder. At some point it does seem like the weight gain would stop, either because being satisfied with the amount of food being consumed or stopping the overeating because of the lifestyle limitations, but I know in many situations there are other people who enable the overeater and even encourage the unhealthy behavior.

When I was in my 20s, I didn't think I'd ever weigh 150 or higher. (I was usually around 130.) Now 150 is my goal weight! I have a lot more muscle now, though.

It's funny you mentioned the misses thing I did that too. I think I would cry if I actually had to shop the plus sizes. I feel like I'm huge as it is.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    It used to be 200, although I never got to that number, but very very close. Now it is 160.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I don't think most people give themselves any kind of cut-off. I personally never thought about it and rarely stepped on a scale.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a number. I didn't realize how fat I was until I went to the doctor and weighed 174lbs. I am only 5'2..it was really eye opening for me.

That was my wake up call.

6 months later I'm down to 129.4
  • rseneca724
    rseneca724 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The heaviest I have ever knowingly been was 177 and as soon as I realized I was at 177 I started working to get it off. I managed to drop down to around 150 fairly quickly. In the last few years I have been floating between 135 and 160 and I am tired of the yo-yo. My max is and always has been 150. I haven't always managed to stay there, but refuse to go there again, I am simply not happy at that weight. I am at 135 now and my goal is 130. I'm a little nervous about reaching the goal, to be honest...not sure what happens after that...
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    When I was young it was 90 pounds(I'm small height wise). When I was a senior in high school I said 140(you see that the 90 pound freak out didn't last long?)Anyway...when I finally woke up and realized what had happened, I was at 195 and swore I wouldn't hit 200(this time I was right!)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    140. Any bigger and I just look sloppy.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    For me it's more about size. When I was slowly gaining, I'd go shopping for new clothes and if it meant I had to go up a size, no big deal. It must've been the way the brands were sized, yadda yadda. I don't play those games anymore. I'm currently in a size 14 and there is no way I will buy pants any bigger!

Now that you say that, I think sizes mattered to me more than actual weight. I was a 12 in high school, got up to a 14/16 in college and afterward. My size 16's were getting too tight and I refused to buy an 18. I got on the scale and saw 213lbs and that was the end of that.

I'm now in a size 12 and those are starting to get loose. So I might be starting to wear size 10's for the first time in my adult life. I think I might have been a 10 in junior high.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Clothes size matters more to me. About a year ago, I went up from a 8 to a size 10. Then a few months ago, the 10's that used to be a little loose got tight, and I had to go up to a 12. No more, that's it. Very depressing moment when I couldn't wear jeans that used to be loose on me not so long beforehand.
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm an outlier here, I think. Being at a larger weight with a 200 lb lost goal - it sneaks up on you, just like it sneaks up on smaller people. It's just that it came in 10 lbs and 15 lbs here and there for me rather than a 2-3 lbs here and there.

In high school, it was 250 (at the time I was somewhere between 190 and 210 - my weight varied that much). I hit that after my first year of college (2000) and I graduated at 270 (2003).

Then my number was 300. My last year of grad school I weighed in at the doc at 303 (2012). At that point I felt I failed and made it past my ceiling and didn't bother to make another one. I pretty much gave up.

What kicked me into gear was weighing myself at 334 and realizing that I was a third of the way to 400 (September 2014). That's what did it.

I lost 21 pounds so far, hoping to drop more than 13 by mid-April so I can be back in Twoterville by my 34th birthday.