Options
13»

Replies

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBc9wZkto1I

Stick with ON
    EAS, GNC are crap brands. been shown to have high amount of heavy metals.
    heavy-metals-in-protein-drinks.jpg

FYI the Consumer Reports article was garbage.

Cytosport's rebuttal:
    The article presents the test results of fifteen sampled protein products, three of which are Muscle Milk products. The test results concluded that three servings a day of Muscle Milk powdered Chocolate or Vanilla Crème (210 grams), almost a half a pound of powder, were shown to exceed the proposed maximum daily limits of cadmium and lead.

This Muscle Milk powdered 3-serving test weight amount (210 grams) was 84% more product than the average 3-serving test weight of the eleven other companies’ products tested. In essence, Consumer Reports used almost twice as much Muscle Milk powder than the average weight of the other 11 companies’ powdered brands tested.

It should also be noted that skewing the Consumer Reports test results even further is the fact that Consumer Reports inexplicably chose to apply the purposed limits of the United States Pharmacopeia (USP) permitted daily exposure (PDE) limits calculated using a body weight of 50 kg or 110 lbs. The Reference Man is typically 70 kg or 154 lbs. The average US adult male is 195 lbs and the average adult female is 165 lbs (McDowell MA et al. Anthropometric Reference Data for Children and Adults: United States, 2003-2006. USDHHS, CDC, and Nat’l Ctr. for Health Statistics (10/22/08)).

Alan Aragon has a great critique here:

http://nicktumminello.com/2010/07/poison-protein-and-consumer-reports-nutrition-expert-alan-aragon-speaks-out/

I agree with the recommendation for ON, but this is based on cost and flavor. Heavy metals aren't really a concern.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBc9wZkto1I

Stick with ON
    EAS, GNC are crap brands. been shown to have high amount of heavy metals.
    heavy-metals-in-protein-drinks.jpg

FYI the Consumer Reports article was garbage.

Cytosport's rebuttal:
    The article presents the test results of fifteen sampled protein products, three of which are Muscle Milk products. The test results concluded that three servings a day of Muscle Milk powdered Chocolate or Vanilla Crème (210 grams), almost a half a pound of powder, were shown to exceed the proposed maximum daily limits of cadmium and lead.

This Muscle Milk powdered 3-serving test weight amount (210 grams) was 84% more product than the average 3-serving test weight of the eleven other companies’ products tested. In essence, Consumer Reports used almost twice as much Muscle Milk powder than the average weight of the other 11 companies’ powdered brands tested.

It should also be noted that skewing the Consumer Reports test results even further is the fact that Consumer Reports inexplicably chose to apply the purposed limits of the United States Pharmacopeia (USP) permitted daily exposure (PDE) limits calculated using a body weight of 50 kg or 110 lbs. The Reference Man is typically 70 kg or 154 lbs. The average US adult male is 195 lbs and the average adult female is 165 lbs (McDowell MA et al. Anthropometric Reference Data for Children and Adults: United States, 2003-2006. USDHHS, CDC, and Nat’l Ctr. for Health Statistics (10/22/08)).

Alan Aragon has a great critique here:

http://nicktumminello.com/2010/07/poison-protein-and-consumer-reports-nutrition-expert-alan-aragon-speaks-out/

I agree with the recommendation for ON, but this is based on cost and flavor. Heavy metals aren't really a concern.

The thing is there is nothing positive that comes out of it.
    Limit exposure, obviously moderation is the key but if you could pick a protein powder. Wouldn't you pick one that is lower in heavy metals than the other? Its not ridiculous higher or the difference of heavy metals is not miniscule.

If there was anything positive associated with heavy metals, obviously its different.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    but thanks. I have never seen a response article and no one has mentioned it through the whole time I been posting this.
    Now I know about the response
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    The thing is there is nothing positive that comes out of it.
    Limit exposure, obviously moderation is the key but if you could pick a protein powder. Wouldn't you pick one that is lower in heavy metals than the other? Its not ridiculous higher or the difference of heavy metals is not miniscule.

If there was anything positive associated with heavy metals, obviously its different.

On paper, that sounds reasonable, but if you're going to apply that logic then you should consider all sources (not just protein).

Check out the response from ON. Many foods that are considered safe for human consumption have far higher heavy metal content than any of the powders tested.

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/news.php?article=874

Another issue I have with the article is the complete lack of standarization. Rather than using "servings" which varied wildly in size, they should've normalized for either total amount or better yet, protein levels.

The dose makes the poison. I suggest that anyone concerned with heavy metals from protein powder should consider their own circumstances. A 111 lb woman who is getting a large part of her protein from shakes would want to take a hard look at that list. A 200 lb man who has one or two scoops to supplement his diet? Not so much.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

Extreme Milk Chocolate or Mocha Cappuccino

You're welcome.

Both of these flavors taste good when mixed with water.