June Cycling Challenge

Options
CricketKate
CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
This is so exciting for me. June is the 1 year anniversary of this cycling challenge. When I started last summer, I had no idea how much I would grow to love riding, or how many people would join in. I got my first adult bike last May for mother's day. It's true what they say: It's like riding a bike, you never forget. My body remembered the motions, but I don't ever remember the pain back when I was a kid. Although I've improved a lot over the last year, I still have roads untraveled.

This is a very casual thread. We welcome cyclers of all shapes, sizes, and experience level. If you are just trying out, then this is the thread for you! If you ride 100 miles a week, this thread is for you! If you are going to spin class, this thread is for you! Mountain biking, commuting, pulling a trailer to the park, this thread is for you!

Post anything you want: Miles, Minutes, condition of your tush, Whatever. Welcome new faces and Welcome back familiar faces!

Replies

• algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have set several goals for June. I'm also in the Squat/Crunch Challenge :bigsmile:

I have set a goal of 50 miles on the bike and 20 miles running each week for the month of June.
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    All right! Last month was my first time so I didn't really know how much to challenge myself. My goal was 80 miles and I ended with 167 miles. That was a lot of miles for me but I did learn (much to my surprise) that 80 was too low of a goal. Yay.

This month's goal is 100 miles. I'll be gone for a week (not sure yet whether I'll be taking my bike with me) so I might not get to 100, but I'll try.

6/1 - 5 miles.

MTD 5
    Goal 100
    Remaining 95

Gogogo!
  • yogapantsandsmiles
    yogapantsandsmiles Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great idea! I've never tried a challenge like this. What would you recommend for the first time? I love my bike and I don't ride enough at all.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Love this challenge! Looking to ride 160 this month :)

Monthly goal 160
    Total so far 14.5

6/1 - 14.5
  • Taratruex
    Taratruex Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to stay up on this challenge. I just got in the saddle a little over a week ago. Today was my first long ride at 25 miles. Felt great. I will challenge myself to 200 miles this month.
  • sajeffe
    Options
    I think this is a great idea! I've never tried a challenge like this. What would you recommend for the first time? I love my bike and I don't ride enough at all.

Last month was my first for this challenge and I started with 80 miles, with the hopes of riding 4 miles/day x20 days. I ended up with 167 miles, but rarely went more than 5 miles at a time. (I rode nearly every day, sometimes twice a day, but not long rides.) It depends on your schedule. 5 miles takes me 40 minutes on average.

Hope that helps a little.
  • sajeffe
    Options
    6/1 - 5 miles.
    6/2 - 5 miles.

MTD 10
    Goal 100
    Remaining 90
  • autumnlily31185
    autumnlily31185 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    In again for June. Came up short in May, but will push to meet goal this month.

With the heat of the month I am keeping things very very small. June goal 60 miles (all stationary)
  • brahmergirl
    brahmergirl Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I rode for the first time tonight in probably 20 years! I did 3.25 miles but got a new bike and was trying to figure it out...My legs were a little sore and didn't ride on the best of roads but I enjoyed it for a change of pace instead of my usual treadmill/elliptical workout....I don't have the safest of all places to ride either so that is another factor as to how much I can ride...
  • Taratruex
    Taratruex Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    06/02- 25 miles
    06/03- 5 miles

Total- 30 miles/ 170 miles to go. :D
  • Keith3481
    Keith3481 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Goal: 200 miles

6/1 - 20 miles
    6/3 - 20 miles

Nearly hit a goose yesterday. It was in the road and flew off at the last possible second before I nearly ran into it.

10289759.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • yogapantsandsmiles
    Options
    [quote
  • yogapantsandsmiles
    Options

Last month was my first for this challenge and I started with 80 miles, with the hopes of riding 4 miles/day x20 days. I ended up with 167 miles, but rarely went more than 5 miles at a time. (I rode nearly every day, sometimes twice a day, but not long rides.) It depends on your schedule. 5 miles takes me 40 minutes on average.

that does help! I think I am going to follow your lead and set a goal for 80 miles (: I'm excited! thank you very very much.
  • sajeffe
    Options
    6/1 - 5 miles.
    6/2 - 5 miles.
    6/3 - 5 miles. (Forgot to post yesterday.)
    6/4 - 5 miles.

MTD 20
    Goal 100
    Remaining 80
  • sajeffe
    Options

that does help! I think I am going to follow your lead and set a goal for 80 miles (: I'm excited! thank you very very much.

You're very welcome. Good luck. Gogogo. :smile:
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I went spin class the first time yesterday and went back today. My lady parts are SO SORE. Killer workout though. :happy:
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Goal: 200 miles

6/1 - 20 miles
    6/3 - 20 miles

Nearly hit a goose yesterday. It was in the road and flew off at the last possible second before I nearly ran into it.

10289759.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Oh dear.
    My encounters have been snakes and large turtles. The snakes I expected. The turtles kinda threw me for a loop. Time goes so fast when I ride, even though I don't ride very fast. There's so much to look at and look for. :smile:
  • avondaleklr
    avondaleklr Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I biked 30 miles the week I graduated (two weeks ago, so back in May). I think my goal for this month is at least 35 miles, only, spread out more so that it'll be better on my knees. :) Love this idea!
  • Tokoeka
    Tokoeka Posts: 8
    Options
    I love my padded shorts, and I would recommend some anti chafe cream- even if everything's feeling squashed rather than rubbed- it helps :)
    Spin is awesome eh

I love this idea- it is winter here and pretty dark morning and evening for biking to work- I'll have to make sure I ride on the weekends instead, and get some extra spin classes in
  • uniquesoul73
    uniquesoul73 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've biked on an off for years now, but it never was consistent. I decided this month to do 30 days of biking just to get my motor running and today was day 1. Its amazing how much I love to ride my bike, once I get on and actually start moving. Wishing all of you luck!