What is the "healthiest" candy bar.

Options
I'm going to have a candy bar or gummy bears or some other sugary dietary abomination occasionally; I've made my peace with that. That doesn't mean those 300-600 calories have to be ENTIRELY wasted. Lot's of candy bars have at least a trivial amount of protein. Many of them have nuts with "good" fat in them. People always espouse the benefits of dark chocolate (though from what I've read that benefit caps out at by the time you've finished your first bite).

What I'm asking is: if I'm determined to eat the junk food, which one is going to get you the most bang for your buck nutrient wise?

Oh, and no protein or energy bars. I actually like them to some degree, but they aren't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about items found in the straight up candy racks of your local grocery store. Things you would buy on your way into a movie.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    It's not going to make much difference. Just pick your favorite candy bar, fit it into your macros for a day and don't worry about it.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    It's not going to make much difference. Just pick your favorite candy bar, fit it into your macros for a day and don't worry about it.

That's not really the point. I understand it's mostly meaningless, it's more of a . . . goofy mental exercise. I'm not actually fretting over this decision.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. I try to pick the ones closer to 200 than 300 calories.
  • josephwelch7739
    josephwelch7739 Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    york peppermint patty. 140 calories. 6 small tootsie rolls 140 calories

acaloriecounter.com/candy-chocolate.php
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    What kind of candy are you eating that is 600 calories? You can eat whatever you want. "Healthiness" doesn't matter, one thing of chocolate in your dietary context won't kill you or make you fat. So... the one that is the best is the one you enjoy eating the most. I like Mars Bars, Skor, Reese Pieces, Caramilk are okay, DairyMilk make awesome bars too. I almost never eat dark chocolate because I dislike it. I don't mind Lindt balls in dark chocolate but that's rare for me to choose them. I also like Turtles, Toblerone, Purdy's Hedgehogs and Sweet Georgia Browns, Smarties (Canada)..... Anything.

Choose what you want and eat however much fits your calories. I have a jumbo reeses bar that I only ate like.. 1/4 of because that's waht fit my cals one day. I actually forgot all about it until just now, it's still in my kitchen.
  • AJ_G
    Options
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    As far as keeping you full ish and your blood sugar steady, choose something with peanuts like a snickers bar or oh henry.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    the one that fits into your calorie/macro/micro goal for the day ...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Lucille+gif+ugh.gif
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    th4sh5xi13am.jpeg
    I like candy!
  • Khukhullatus
    Options
    Haha, people are getting a little serious about what I almost saw as a game. I guess we spend so much time thinking of getting in shape as this intense serious thing that it can be hard to turn it off.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Snickers, peanut and peanut butter m&m' s, Hawaiian host chocolates
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Haha, people are getting a little serious about what I almost saw as a game. I guess we spend so much time thinking of getting in shape as this intense serious thing that it can be hard to turn it off.

hahaha.

Seriously though, pick your poison OP.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    reeses…the answer is always reeses ...
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    28 M & M's = 100 calories enjoy!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I have minis and a jumbo thing in my kitchen, I want to make Reese's protein banana bread but we are out of bananas :(
  • AJ_G
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

This
  • hlhutch91
    hlhutch91 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Midnight Milky Way.... yum... the minis are only 35 calories... Not that I won't eat a whole one.
  • Khukhullatus
    Options
    I do agree, Reeses is always in the running for top bar.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I guess what they are trying to say is that it's hard to say which one is healthiest unless you literally took a bunch of candy bars and compared label to label their macros. When it comes to food, context does matter.