So here's a gym 'etiquette' question

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,582 Member
    Options
    Most gym DON'T allow picture taking. Just report it. When I see anyone pointing a phone at anyone, I immediately go up to them and let them know that taking any pictures is forbidden and is cause for them to have membership revoked.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    1. Both are equally creepy
    2. Both are equally okay
    3. I agree the guy is a dbag
    4. I agree the second one is a flirting attempt
    5. The gym is a public place and there are no privacy laws in effect
    6. No harm, no foul
    7. Ever watch a #gymfails video or share a don't skip leg day meme? Do we think those are taken and shared with knowledge and permission?

I disagree that it is okay – this is a private business, not a place where the general public can just crash, and you can be told to leave at the discretion of management. OP is paying to be there and has the right not to be harassed. Put your sister, girlfriend or wife in OP’s position – do you want some dirt bag snapping pics of her while she squats?

This creepiness is why we can’t have nice things, and why “female only” workout areas are becoming more prevalent (they recently put up a curtain in the yoga area in a gym I go to keep rubberneckers from gawking).

What I want and what's legally actionable are not one and the same. The gym floor is not the same as the gym locker room. My sister, girlfriend, wife, and Jo are all fully clothed and in a public space. The camera takes an image of something they did in public and were fully okay with all eyes around them viewing. You ever go on vacation and take photos? Did you get signed permission from all the people in the background of the images you posted on your Facebook page? If those random people knew they in your Facebook Facebook photos, do you think they would be happy about that? Do you care?

Tl;dr: it's not cool, but no one is dead.

*waits patiently for excitable claims that every person whose image is posted on the Internet is marked for death by a serial killer*

I didn’t say anyone did anything illegal. But if illegality is the only standard for judging behavior, society is in big trouble.

The gym is not a public place, it is a private business. If you doubt this, try to walk in and start exercising without paying. There is a distinction between expectations of privacy on a public beach / park / street and privacy in privately owned areas – behavior can be restricted on private property (like gyms, restaurants, malls, etc.). People don’t have an expectation of having other gym members take pictures of them while working out – the creeps that do it should knock it off or be reported to management.

So you're totally okay if a strange guy takes a picture of the booty of your sister/girlfriend/wife while they are on a public Beach and posts it to instagram?

I have no idea how you reached that conclusion, that seems to be what you are advocating- if it isn't against the law, then anything goes. I totally reject that

Your were saying how things are different in a public vs private space. I'm just trying to figure out why.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    2. Both are equally okay
    6. No harm, no foul
    7. Ever watch a #gymfails video or share a don't skip leg day meme? Do we think those are taken and shared with knowledge and permission?

I disagree that it is okay – this is a private business, not a place where the general public can just crash, and you can be told to leave at the discretion of management. OP is paying to be there and has the right not to be harassed. Put your sister, girlfriend or wife in OP’s position – do you want some dirt bag snapping pics of her while she squats?

This creepiness is why we can’t have nice things, and why “female only” workout areas are becoming more prevalent (they recently put up a curtain in the yoga area in a gym I go to keep rubberneckers from gawking).

What I want and what's legally actionable are not one and the same. The gym floor is not the same as the gym locker room. My sister, girlfriend, wife, and Jo are all fully clothed and in a public space. The camera takes an image of something they did in public and were fully okay with all eyes around them viewing. You ever go on vacation and take photos? Did you get signed permission from all the people in the background of the images you posted on your Facebook page? If those random people knew they in your Facebook Facebook photos, do you think they would be happy about that? Do you care?

*waits patiently for excitable claims that every person whose image is posted on the Internet is marked for death by a serial killer*

I didn’t say anyone did anything illegal. But if illegality is the only standard for judging behavior, society is in big trouble.

The gym is not a public place, it is a private business. If you doubt this, try to walk in and start exercising without paying. There is a distinction between expectations of privacy on a public beach / park / street and privacy in privately owned areas – behavior can be restricted on private property (like gyms, restaurants, malls, etc.). People don’t have an expectation of having other gym members take pictures of them while working out – the creeps that do it should knock it off or be reported to management.

So you're totally okay if a strange guy takes a picture of the booty of your sister/girlfriend/wife while they are on a public Beach and posts it to instagram?

I have no idea how you reached that conclusion, that seems to be what you are advocating- if it isn't against the law, then anything goes. I totally reject that

except that's how this country was build to work.

If it's not written as a law- then technically it's legal. That's the basis of our constitution.
    Or listen to music. Or take your own IG selfies. Or mfp between sets. Or log workouts in an app.

A no photo policy is cool, but a no phone policy would be much too restrictive, imo
    agreed.
    And while I don't use my phone for music- I do use it regularly between sets and I would NEVER do cardio if I didn't have it- netflix for the win... so I just can't get on board with a "no phone" police at all.

also- just to be clear. I love my gym.
    I love working out at my gym. And under no circumstances am I changing gyms.

An next time I see him- I'm grabbing one of my buddies and saying- if you see him taking pictures of me behind my back to call his punk *kitten* out - because dude. not.cool.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Folks out there in interland.... I have a question for you all

Which of the following rates higher on the "you're effing creepy" scale?

> at the gym trying to ninja take a picture of a girl (or guy- not gender bias) in this case- specially while squatting.

or

> trying to take the picture while they are squatting- or waiting for the next set and then saying- oh I was waiting for you to squat again so I could get a picture for my instagram page beautiful girls bla bla bla... you know "to inspire someone"

So we all know the actual answer is- don't be a d!ck taking pictures of girls a$$es while they squat- but... if you're GOING to do it- which one is more or less socially acceptable/creepy??

Discuss.

Did the individual take the permission?

If no, a straight punch on the face.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    2. Both are equally okay
    6. No harm, no foul

If it's not written as a law- then technically it's legal. That's the basis of our constitution.
    Or listen to music. Or take your own IG selfies. Or mfp between sets. Or log workouts in an app.

A no photo policy is cool, but a no phone policy would be much too restrictive, imo
    agreed.
    And while I don't use my phone for music- I do use it regularly between sets and I would NEVER do cardio if I didn't have it- netflix for the win... so I just can't get on board with a "no phone" police at all.

An next time I see him- I'm grabbing one of my buddies and saying- if you see him taking pictures of me behind my back to call his punk *kitten* out - because dude. not.cool.

I'm surprise you did not flip out during this situation?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    2. Both are equally okay
    6. No harm, no foul

The Constitution protects certain rights from being infringed upon by our government, not by private entities. You don’t have the freedom to assemble / freedom of speech / the right to bear arms / etc., in my living room – I can lawfully throw you out for a silly reason or no reason whatsoever, because it is my property. The gym has the same rights to allow / disallow whatever behavior they wish (although they are restricted from discriminating on the basis of race, religion, etc.), so if you sign a gym contract that states green shoes are not permitted, they can throw you out for wearing green shoes, whether this is fair or not.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    2. Both are equally okay
    6. No harm, no foul

agreed.

Next time you see him take a clear picture of him, get it printed on 11 by 7 paper with the caption "Takes Photos Of Women's Butts at The Gym" and then tape it to the walls when gym staff isn't looking.

Fair is fair.
  • 7seas_sailing
    7seas_sailing Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    My thoughts are that there are enough pics of women's @**es on the internet for just about anything he would need.

There are never enough pics of female derrieres.

Not saying that this was OK, really. Just pointing out your mistake. :D

^^^touché! Lol!
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    2. Both are equally okay
    6. No harm, no foul

agreed.

Next time you see him take a clear picture of him, get it printed on 11 by 7 paper with the caption "Takes Photos Of Women's Butts at The Gym" and then tape it to the walls when gym staff isn't looking.

Fair is fair.

This honestly made me LOL.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Gross. The guy is a creep. I have no idea how to handle it, I'd be so taken aback I wouldn't know what to do.
  • 7seas_sailing
    7seas_sailing Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Fair is fair.

I like this; best idea yet!!! :smiley:
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Gross. The guy is a creep. I have no idea how to handle it, I'd be so taken aback I wouldn't know what to do.

If I heard a women say why is this guy taking photos while I squat I would come to her aid. I think most men would.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    2. Both are equally okay
    6. No harm, no foul

agreed.

Fair is fair.

its' certainly on the table as an option...- our gym is big on meme's and putting up ridiculous signs- perks to going to a small gym. LOL
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    2. Both are equally okay
    6. No harm, no foul

agreed.

Fair is fair.

its' certainly on the table as an option...- our gym is big on meme's and putting up ridiculous signs- perks to going to a small gym. LOL

Please do this. Please.
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    the most important information needed here is the name of the IG page.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    2. Both are equally okay
    6. No harm, no foul

agreed.

Fair is fair.

Please do this. Please.

If It happens- I'll be sure to update. I only am there 3 times a week- and I don't see said guy regularly- so- it might be a while.
    beautiful girls something- I have no idea- I honestly don't even know the guys name so i couldn't tell you what his handle is.

I'm not on instagram (he's told me I should be though- I'd get quiet a following) but instagram popularity doesn't really do much for me.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Fair is fair.

^ That for sure. Guy sounds like a creepy SOB.

• johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Do we think those are taken and shared with knowledge and permission?
    Anything that happens outside our homes are fair game. There is no privacy anymore

• yopeeps025
    Options
    2. Both are equally okay
    6. No harm, no foul

agreed.

Fair is fair.

Please do this. Please.

If It happens- I'll be sure to update. I only am there 3 times a week- and I don't see said guy regularly- so- it might be a while.
    beautiful girls something- I have no idea- I honestly don't even know the guys name so i couldn't tell you what his handle is.

I'm not on instagram (he's told me I should be though- I'd get quiet a following) but instagram popularity doesn't really do much for me.

The way you workout Jo, you would more likely get a lot of followers. With that comes the "ugh your going to get bulky" crowd though.

• JoRocka
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    2. Both are equally okay
    6. No harm, no foul

agreed.

Fair is fair.

Please do this. Please.

The way you workout Jo, you would more likely get a lot of followers. With that comes the "ugh your going to get bulky" crowd though.

over a decade of lifting under my worn belt and I'm still waiting for the day I get bulky. seriously- come on- I want shoulders already.